Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 11:17 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,273,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
A rabbit lives pretty close by. They have largely disappeared over the past year or two. I thought the fox was getting them, or a hawk.
This reminded me of a cutie who visited my yard years ago. When I first saw him he would scoot if I even took a step toward him. As time passed, he would sit and watch while I did yard work. After more time passed, he would follow me around and much on the leaves of the branches I had pruned. Made himself right at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 05:35 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,219,341 times
Since moving to NW Arkansas a few months ago surrounded by woods I have been seeing a lot of wildlife. This includes a 4'+ snake climbing one of my trees. Each day we see deer, squirrels and a lot of birds at the bird feeders. My wife and I are hoping to see some newborn fawns being it is that time of the year. Of the five deer we see most days at least one is a buck. I had two hummingbird feeders out, but something is tearing them down at night. Something even turned over my concrete birdbath one night.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:54 AM

9,465 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The annual murder of the baby robins has commenced. Every year the stupid robins build a nest in the pines in front of my house. Every year a broad-winged hawk comes and murders their babies amid much screaming and squawking by mom and dad. SMH. Today was the day.
Oh man....that happened to us a couple years back. I was horrified. But a robin has built her nest under the eaves in the overhang in back of our housef again this year (the same place the hawk carried off the babies) and although Hubs wanted to move it, I asked him to let it stay. It's a protected space for sure, hard to get to, but the hawk did find it that one time. Three eggs...no babies yet. I hope they make it.

Hubs saw a doe and her fawn 2 mornings ago. And we have a groundhog or woodchuck waddling around in our back field, and then I saw a smaller one so she must have a baby, too!

Tons of birds.....

Old 06-15-2021, 09:59 AM

9,465 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Sitting in front of the house now (researching something on the machine) and there is a robin coming back and forth to the bird bath, having a really good time splashing around in there.....I wonder if she is the Mama robin to the eggs out back. Birds hardly ever come to this birdbath but this has been an unusual year.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,042,534 times
The evil chipmunk is back. Now I am beginning to think the fox has been hit by a car or something. I haven't seen it and the rabbit and chipmunk are getting bold.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:16 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,550,882 times
I could never consider a chipmunk to be "evil," lol.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
This happened about 40 years ago. It was like out of a Walt Disney Sunday Evening show. (Anyone remember those?) I always thought those were staged...until this day.

I was out in the field in Eastern San Diego County, this bright morning. I'm walking on a single track trail, making all kinds of noise, not paying much attention to anything. I look ahead about 20 feet and see a California Quail adult standing in the middle of the path. (Both sides of this trail have tumble weeds that are still alive and green.)
i walk up to this quail, expecting it to flush. It stands it's ground. I'm like 5 feet from this bird, so I stop. I get quiet and still. The bird is looking around, like it's a crossing guard for school kids at a busy street corner. The bird ducks into a tumble weed for a few seconds, then re emerges. Stops in the middle of the path, (path width about 4-5 feet, give or take.) I have a full size VCR camera and I begin shooting tape. A few seconds goes by, and about 100 quail chicks come out from underneath the tumble weed in a flurry. Scampering across the path to the other side. A few stragglers are quickly herded by the adult quail. There were more than "just a few" late comers too. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure, all those "Wonderful World of Disney" animal situations were totally set-up, in an enclosure or something. Well, darn it, they DO happen. Unfortunately, I lost the tape that had this brief encounter. It was done with a very high grade camera with high grade/studio tape, too. Lost it during my last move, back in 1998...

Anyway, that's my quail story.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:19 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Deer came up to the glass door wanting a treat. Gave her carrots day before. I guess she remembered my address. When I went back later though after I wasn't busy anymore, she had left. Day before, the three little bucks just looked at the carrots, smelled them and left. She ate them all.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:04 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
We had a wonderful nature surprise two nights ago. A Cecropia moth, just from the cocoon, was sitting under the grill on our deck pumping up his wings.

Several years ago we were at Lake Superior when the big moths emerged and we were lucky enough to see several of Minnesota's largest. But it has been decades since either of us had seen a Cecropia.

Old kitty came out and went on alert. Not sure whether to attack or run. Never seen anything quite like that before!

I scooped her up and kept her in the house for the evening to give our guest time to get his bearings and find his new safe spot.

I'm marveling at his markings, the colors and the perfect symmetry. Awesome little miracle.

Edited to add: I think his wingspread must have been close to seven inches.

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-17-2021 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-17-2021, 11:15 AM

126,287 posts, read 19,062,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We had a wonderful nature surprise two nights ago. A Cecropia moth, just from the cocoon, was sitting under the grill on our deck pumping up his wings.

Several years ago we were at Lake Superior when the big moths emerged and we were lucky enough to see several of Minnesota's largest. But it has been decades since either of us had seen a Cecropia.

Old kitty came out and went on alert. Not sure whether to attack or run. Never seen anything quite like that before!

I scooped her up and kept her in the house for the evening to give our guest time to get his bearings and find his new safe spot.

I'm marveling at his markings, the colors and the perfect symmetry. Awesome little miracle.

Edited to add: I think his wingspread must have been close to seven inches.
Lodestar thank you for sharing what a beautiful moth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature