Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2023, 07:23 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Both. They can hear soil particles move as well as vibrations created by worm activity. If the lawn was just watered or rained on, worms move closer to the surface making it easier for birds to detect them. Their eyesight is very acute. They can spot minute shifts in soil particles. They also sense vibration through their feet.
https://www.aba.org/how-to-know-the-...extreme-robin/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 01:44 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Ahh Robins. They are pretty cool. I have apair comes every morning along with the sparrows finches rock doves and soon I hope the brewers blackbirds. These birds herebouts are some spoiled critters. I usually toss Saltine crackers crumbled up out for my avian pals. I got caught slacking t'utherday and didn't get the chow out early enough. Nest thing I know I've got a robin peeking in my screen door cocked head like with the sparrows in the Lilac bushes just raising hell.

Ah yes I was out of stuff to give them and when I went to go to the store they had shown their displeasure with me all over the hood of my truck.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:50 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The dogs have been particularly barky at night lately, telling us that there's a stranger in the backyard! Intruder alert! Sure enough, we saw the stranger the other night, sitting on top of our chain link fence: a possum, and it was completely immobile, frozen in position. Essentially playing possum. We realized that the poor thing was terrified of the dogs, so we brought them in. We're on a canyon rim, so we get a lot of wildlife. But it's been a while since we've seen a possum.
A couple of years ago, while working at home (pandemic) I happened to glance up, into my backyard, and there was a BIG possum sitting on, and then climbing down our fence. I like seeing the possums from time to time.

Last weekend, we were out at our place in the country, and I saw 'our' resident beaver on the dam. I've seen it more than once. It seems to like to come out in the morning, and then late in the afternoon...if no one's fishing on the dam.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:23 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ahh Robins. They are pretty cool. I have apair comes every morning along with the sparrows finches rock doves and soon I hope the brewers blackbirds. These birds herebouts are some spoiled critters. I usually toss Saltine crackers crumbled up out for my avian pals. I got caught slacking t'utherday and didn't get the chow out early enough. Nest thing I know I've got a robin peeking in my screen door cocked head like with the sparrows in the Lilac bushes just raising hell.

Ah yes I was out of stuff to give them and when I went to go to the store they had shown their displeasure with me all over the hood of my truck.
Meh. It's bad enough people eat junk food, I wouldn't give them to wildlife as well. If you're going to feed birds you should at least give them some decent bird seed. Saltine crackers aren't going to do them any good.

Sometimes I wonder about the House sparrows and Starlings that live in supermarket parking lots. They must eat a diet consisting mostly of junk food. Probably they aren't very healthy birds.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:14 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
A couple of years ago, while working at home (pandemic) I happened to glance up, into my backyard, and there was a BIG possum sitting on, and then climbing down our fence. I like seeing the possums from time to time.
I was totally shocked to spot an opossum waddling along a road in downtown Homer AK a couple of weeks ago. It buried itself in the bushes fairly quickly (for an opossum anyway) so I didn't have time to check it out further. I didn't believe my eyes as I know full well they don't naturally survive this far north, but it's pretty hard to mistake anything else for an opossum. Shortly after that I happened to read an AK public media piece about the garbage can capture and transport of "Grubby the possum" to a regional zoo. "Grubby" was named after his chosen road; Grubstake Road. He managed to get a few bites in along the way. Apparently, a hitchhiker on some building materials shipped from the south 48.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-02-2023 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-02-2023, 03:44 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I was totally shocked to spot an opossum waddling along a road in downtown Homer AK a couple of weeks ago. It buried itself in the bushes fairly quickly (for an opossum anyway) so I didn't have time to check it out further. I didn't believe my eyes as I know full well they don't naturally survive this far north, but it's pretty hard to mistake anything else for an opossum. Shortly after that I happened to read an AK public media piece about the garbage can capture and transport of "Grubby the possum" to a regional zoo. "Grubby" was named after his chosen road; Grubstake Road. He managed to get a few bites in along the way. Apparently, a hitchhiker on some building materials shipped from the south 48.
I hope it's now living its best life! LOL

Old 06-02-2023, 04:56 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I hope it's now living its best life! LOL
Probably better digs than the crusty remnant ice, dirty snow, and freezing temps he encountered upon arrival!

Old 06-03-2023, 08:34 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Got back from my morning walk to hear robins freaking out and chasing off a hawk. I only saw 2 fat babies in their nest over my back door but the 3rd one might have been hunkered down...or gone. Never a dull moment in the Wild, wild world of animals

Old 06-03-2023, 08:45 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
15 minutes later and they all seem to be gone. I didn't hear any more commotion and I didn't see any hopping around so I don't know if they fledged or fed the hawks. But at least I can paint the fascia now

Old 06-03-2023, 09:58 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
My landscaper found these little guys in some overgrown bushes he was cleaning up.
We told him to give these birds the best chance and we didn’t really need more cut there.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-422cafe8-6958-42fe-9f43-db8d1c5b1c25.jpeg   Tell me your nature observations!-43a43b35-7a5b-4342-8721-a8fef336bd03.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature