Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
You put/bought your house in their natural habitat and you complain about them eating your feed? Do you know what a strain you put on your local environment, we arent picking you up and putting you on the moon.

I know it seems mean of me and humane of you, but you are catching birds in their local habitat and moving them to somewhere they dont know where they are. Either they can become disoriented and end up lost. They can die anyway or they find their way back.
I believe that person is KILLING them, not releasing them somewhere else. Let me add that all birds can carry disease but how often does man sicken from wild birds in this country or any country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Yes! Report them to Animal Control, Wildlife Service and the Dept of Agriculture and the local police. The only birds in the USA you can legally kill are English Sparrows and European Starlings. The more places you report them to the better chance something will be done. Also, check a few of these dead birds and see if they show some kind of shot or bodily damage. The Dept of Ag can check them for poisons.
I believe that person is KILLING them, not releasing them somewhere else. Let me add that all birds can carry disease but how often does man sicken from wild birds in this country or any country?
It has nothing to do with humans catching a disease.
They compete and win the fight ageist the NATURAL species

There are others like crows.
  • No license is required to hunt crows. They may be taken by legal firearms (shotgun not larger than 10 gauge, rifle, or handgun), bow and arrow or by falconry. There are no daily or possession limits, and shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset. Odd as it may sound, crow recipes can be found by simply undergoing an internet search.
Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.
Living with wildlife - crows: Minnesota DNR

Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
About .2 of a mile down the road from my house, starting every spring and all through the summer, there are random dead birds laying in the street in front of someones house. This has went on for about 4 years, but I just would shake my head out of disgust and go on, but its started already and I am tired of it. It used to only be Black birds, but today I noticed a dead Red Bird on the side of the road dead. I honestly think that that someone at that house is killing them. They dont have any cats that I know of (this is a rural area btw, but alot of houses/neighborhoods). There are only 2 people live in that house, both older people, but I dont see the old man out anymore, but i do the old woman, but she dont look that old... 50s-60s maybe? They are not very friendly people either. Her granddaughter/and her husband live behind her, so he could be the one doing it. They do set a garden in the spring and I think they are doing this to keep the birds out, but they dont realize the birds are eating pests.

I just am wondering if this is illegal and can I report it to the animal control center or something so they can investigate?

I am tired of dodging dead birds in the road every spring and winter in front of that house and what they are doing I think is cruel.
It seems you have tried and convicted these folks, who you seem to know a lot about. I think you should have called the first year if you really suspected them. Maybe just call the animal control, or wild life people and let them do the investigating. IMO

Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 AM

869 posts, read 1,495,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It has nothing to do with humans catching a disease.
They compete and win the fight ageist the NATURAL species

There are others like crows.
  • No license is required to hunt crows. They may be taken by legal firearms (shotgun not larger than 10 gauge, rifle, or handgun), bow and arrow or by falconry. There are no daily or possession limits, and shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset. Odd as it may sound, crow recipes can be found by simply undergoing an internet search.
Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.
Living with wildlife - crows: Minnesota DNR
They are not native to the united states. They are invasive and predatory. They are dangerous to the local environment. Native peoples excluded, sounds a lot like a lot of humans I know. I know that you and most people dont consider it the same thing, but seriously? The starlings have been here for long enough to be creating a native population and systematic slaughter of them that you are justifying, may be justified to you but its still mean and goes against nature. You wanna eat them, kill them. You dont want them pecking at your trees? Move. You are an animal doing what comes naturally and what nature dictates.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
They are not native to the united states. They are invasive and predatory. They are dangerous to the local environment. Native peoples excluded, sounds a lot like a lot of humans I know. I know that you and most people dont consider it the same thing, but seriously? The starlings have been here for long enough to be creating a native population and systematic slaughter of them that you are justifying, may be justified to you but its still mean and goes against nature. You wanna eat them, kill them. You dont want them pecking at your trees? Move. You are an animal doing what comes naturally and what nature dictates.
That is certainly a compassionate perspective, but how long starlings have been here doesn't really change their status as an anthropogenic ecologic disaster.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
About .2 of a mile down the road from my house, starting every spring and all through the summer, there are random dead birds laying in the street in front of someones house. This has went on for about 4 years, but I just would shake my head out of disgust and go on, but its started already and I am tired of it. It used to only be Black birds, but today I noticed a dead Red Bird on the side of the road dead. I honestly think that that someone at that house is killing them. They dont have any cats that I know of (this is a rural area btw, but alot of houses/neighborhoods). There are only 2 people live in that house, both older people, but I dont see the old man out anymore, but i do the old woman, but she dont look that old... 50s-60s maybe? They are not very friendly people either. Her granddaughter/and her husband live behind her, so he could be the one doing it. They do set a garden in the spring and I think they are doing this to keep the birds out, but they dont realize the birds are eating pests.

I just am wondering if this is illegal and can I report it to the animal control center or something so they can investigate?

I am tired of dodging dead birds in the road every spring and winter in front of that house and what they are doing I think is cruel.
some thoughts:

-Well first off I wouldn't report it as someone is killing them unless you have seen it or the bodies provide evidence of that. You saying that just makes you seem a little kookie.

-Do not touch those dead birds. All birds carry disease, mites, bed bugs, fungus etc.

- There could be an environmental issue causing these deaths. It could be a sign of pollution, poison, disease or other birds killing them. Ever see a crow gobble up a baby bird and kill the parent and rip that apart too? I have. Its graphic and disgusting. I wouldn't believe it happened like that unless I saw it with my own two eyes.

- I would start by calling the wildlife commission in that area and the EPA to see if there have been any pollution issues.

- another thought is those birds tend to roost in buildings. Their poo can carry a deadly fungus that will infect your entire system just being in your house. They may just be clearing out infestations. If you don't believe me you can ask your local health department about it.

I don't know how many birds there are out there but even if you kill them legally you still have to remove them. You are definitely not suppose to let them build up on the road. That can be dangerous. Everyone has heard of the frog crossings. Is it that bad? Where it would make the road greasy?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

Your life is not a lottery where you should elect to take chances you don't need to.

HEALTH HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH BIRD AND BAT DROPPINGS

Just because it isn't a massive scale problem doesn't mean its not going to be your problem.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
And to h-ell with the native song birds or any other native species they compete with.

Lets keep this in perspective man is dominate, all animals are here for man to utilize.

It's not natural for them to be found in nature on our content.

so we should just let every invasive spices thrive in a unnatural location?
Example
If we did this fishing on the great lakes would be non existent.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 PM

869 posts, read 1,495,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
And to h-ell with the native song birds or any other native species they compete with.

Lets keep this in perspective man is dominate, all animals are here for man to utilize.

It's not natural for them to be found in nature on our content.

so we should just let every invasive spices thrive in a unnatural location?
Example
If we did this fishing on the great lakes would be non existent.
I really just dont understand why you posted on a thread about someone killing birds and her wanting it to stop, with a post about you killing birds. I just dont get it

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I really just dont understand why you posted on a thread about someone killing birds and her wanting it to stop, with a post about you killing birds. I just dont get it
Because some times it is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature