Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times

Advertisements

Crows get shot starlings get trapped and killed.
starlings,
Legal Status
Starlings are exempt from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) of 1918, which was passed for the protection of migratory birds. Their nests, eggs, young, and/or adults may be removed or destroyed at any time. No permit is required.
For crows, we play a cd of their calls over a trucks stereo, doors open volume turned up.
Then we hide in the trucks topper or a blind, when they get close we jump out and shoot.
it's a great way to get ready for duck hunting,and we eliminate a few crows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Crows get shot starlings get trapped and killed.
starlings,
Legal Status
Starlings are exempt from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) of 1918, which was passed for the protection of migratory birds. Their nests, eggs, young, and/or adults may be removed or destroyed at any time. No permit is required.
For crows, we play a cd of their calls over a trucks stereo, doors open volume turned up.
Then we hide in the trucks topper or a blind, when they get close we jump out and shoot.
it's a great way to get ready for duck hunting,and we eliminate a few crows
That's disgusting.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
aquietpath summed it up quite accurately.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM

What makes you say that?
One is an invasive species that is causing millions in damage each year and it is competing with natural species for food and nesting space.
The other causes millions in crop damage every year.
We are not doing anything that is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
That's disgusting.
Crows MI
[Seasons and Bag Limits 2012-2013

Dates: Aug 1-Sept. 30 and Feb. 1-March 31

No bag limit

Zone: Statewide

License: Small game license

Crows may be taken outside the open season during hunting hours, in compliance with federal regulations, if these birds are causing a nuisance or creating a health hazard.

In MN
No license is required to hunt crows. They may be taken by legal firearms (shotgun not larger than 10 gauge, rifle, or handgun), bow and arrow or by falconry. There are no daily or possession limits, and shooting hours are 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset.
Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act but can be taken out of season, without a permit, when caught in the act of committing, or about to commit, damage to ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife.
Lethal means of control can also be undertaken when they are concentrated in large numbers, such as communal roosts, and subsequently constitute a nuisance (e.g. noise) or pose a threat to human health, as would be the case when accumulations of fecal materials pose a sanitation risk. Legal methods of take are the same as during hunting seasons.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwit...ows/index.html

Starlings are very aggressive competitors and are relentless in usurping nesting cavities that would otherwise be perfect for bluebirds, flickers, tree swallows, great crested flycatchers and other species. Groups like the Friends of Short Hills Park have done a lot of work to build nesting boxes that they reserve for the use of bluebirds only.
Numbers of starlings in southern Ontario are artificially high during the winter when large roosts form as few of these birds stay in the far north through the winter. In number of individuals spotted during the Audubon Christmas bird count, European starlings consistently rank in first place. There is one large winter roost in the Niagara peninsula estimated by experienced birders to have between 100,000 and 250,000 birds. It is very difficult to estimate numbers in such a flock as the birds are very fast flyers and many other species such as blackbirds, grackles, meadowlarks and house finches roost with the starlings. As impressive a sight as that many birds can be, this species can flock together or form roosts of 10 million individuals. Unfortunately, when there are extremely large concentrations of starlings and it seems like a good place and time to destroy them.

They are classified as ‘pests’, starlings also eat livestock rations and food found in garbage. They like the high-protein supplements frequently added to livestock rations. Because of their migratory habits, there is also concern that starlings may be responsible for transmitting disease from one livestock facility to another.

I prefer bluebirds to starlings

Last edited by snofarmer; 12-05-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Because something is legal, doesn't necessarily make it right. If you were the farmer whose crops were being damaged, or if a thousand roosting crows were leaving foot-thick piles of excrement on your lawn - then yeah - something would have to be done.

But your description sounded a lot more like a couple of good ol' boys having a bit of "sport" by luring animals you have no intention of eating just to kill them.

THAT is disgusting.

Crows have extended family relationships. Not just parents are involved in the raising of the young. "Aunts and uncles" take their turn minding and teaching them. Kill one and the ripple effect is felt among many. Kill many...and the math just gets sadder.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM

You haven't spent any time on a farm or ranch have you?
You have a very charmed view.
The crows get tilled in, their use fertilizer.
crows and starlings all add cost to the bottom line these costs are pased on to you as higher food prices.

let alone their determinant effect on the rest of the animals and birds.

There killing is promoted by the dnr and usda.

Don't even try to humanize them .

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
It is the damn wrens that poke holes in bluebird eggs. Those wrens are insect eating machines but are hell on bluebirds.

Oh, the phrase, 'straight as the crow flies', that is not based on fact and is a figurative expression. Never saw a crow fly in a straight line. These guys are forever on the prowl and zig zag around looking for opportunities.

Black vultures have extended their range further north and along with brown vultures give the crows a run for their money. The crows move on to dumps and garbage cans. Those black vultures are known for not waiting for their food to be pronounced dead before they begin dining.

'Crows have extended family relationships. Not just parents are involved in the raising of the young. "Aunts and uncles" take their turn minding and teaching them. Kill one and the ripple effect is felt among many. Kill many...and the math just gets sadder.' Just what do all the aunts and uncles feel about a family member that goes missing ?

Do they distinguish between a firearm death vs a fatal swat by a hawk?

All life must be respected but there is a predator prey realtionship in which we are all involved. Animal populations have evolved to deal with such loss, the species being the prime concern not individuals. The more prolific a species birthrate the greater the expected death rate of individuals. The crows will be just fine. Nothing unethical about shooting legal game animals.

If ethics and morality were a concern with the general population none of the politicians in Washington today would be there after the last election. If ethics and morality were a concern, the same empathy and outrage for a victims family would be applied to the high murder rates in places like Chicago and Newark and the middle east. Want to shoot some crows or starlings or red squirrels, go for it.

Makes you wonder what nature has in store for us as we can mate and produce offspring at anytime during the year. Do you suppose we are so collectively stupid nature gives us a yearlong mating season for recruitment?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm well aware of the predator/prey relationship. Everyone and everything is one, or the other, or both. And I come from a family of farmers, on both sides.

I'm not anti-hunting and I eat meat, including (occasionally) game. I shot groundhogs on my grandfather's farm because cows and horses would occasionally injure themselves when stepping in the holes.

I am against wanton killing for sport. And snofarmer's post about killing crows was definitely indicative of a couple of guys warming up for "real" hunting by luring and killing a few crows.

Oh, and I certainly am not trying to humanize crows.

Why would I want to insult them?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM

yup. Just like shooting gophers,ground squirrels groundhogs from the top of the shed is a good way to sight in the rifle and keep in practice for hunting.

I enjoy(ed) varmint hunting on the farm and when we were kids we got paid for it. $0.05 to $1.00 for a predator.

You see when your shooting those groundhogs your becoming more proficient,
you can take that skill and use it to hunt for food.
So we combine two activities. Two birds one stone.

You can have your attitude towards it or mine the result is the same, the groundhog is dead.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
A crow used to land on a fence post next to my house. One day i put some dog food on the post and the crow never came back again. Why i have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature