Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:17 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have seen very few acorns where I live. My particular area has somewhere around an eleven inch rainfall deficit. Many weather systems have split and went either north or south of my location. But it has been fairly dry for many.

I also don't know if the abundance of squirrels has not hurt the acorns? Many people feed birds - but squirrels get the king size share of the food. With more food the squirrel population skyrocketed - nature abhors a vacuum. When the squirrel population gets too large; they eat fruits and nuts before they mature. They don't get as much food from immature seeds and fruit and it hurts the squirrel population in the long run - but I don't think you worry about that if you are going hungry.

I think that some squirrels even chew off the ends of healthy branches just to drink the sap? Sometimes I will have many clusters of chewed off maple tree branches on my lawn. Occasionally I will notice the same with the oak trees. I presume the maple sap might taste sweet to the squirrels; I don't know about oak sap?

Eventually, I presume, the hawk population will (hopefully) catch up with these marauders? It would be great to have another bumper crop of apples again.
The cycle of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
I am in upstate SC and the trees in my yard are absolutely packed with acorns. They have been raining down on my house non stop by the thousands every day. My deck and yard is a solid sheet of acorns.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
I have seen very few acorns where I live. My particular area has somewhere around an eleven inch rainfall deficit. Many weather systems have split and went either north or south of my location. But it has been fairly dry for many.

I also don't know if the abundance of squirrels has not hurt the acorns? Many people feed birds - but squirrels get the king size share of the food. With more food the squirrel population skyrocketed - nature abhors a vacuum. When the squirrel population gets too large; they eat fruits and nuts before they mature. They don't get as much food from immature seeds and fruit and it hurts the squirrel population in the long run - but I don't think you worry about that if you are going hungry.

I think that some squirrels even chew off the ends of healthy branches just to drink the sap? Sometimes I will have many clusters of chewed off maple tree branches on my lawn. Occasionally I will notice the same with the oak trees. I presume the maple sap might taste sweet to the squirrels; I don't know about oak sap?

Eventually, I presume, the hawk population will (hopefully) catch up with these marauders? It would be great to have another bumper crop of apples again.
that's a good point. i saw squirrels this summer eating what had to have been green acorns. they couldn't wait, i guess...

now there are no acorns and the squirrels are hungry. look what they did to my jack-o-lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I am in upstate SC and the trees in my yard are absolutely packed with acorns. They have been raining down on my house non stop by the thousands every day. My deck and yard is a solid sheet of acorns.
that's what it was like here last year, and most years actually. very different from this year.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

the bears are having it rough too, due to the poor acorn crop.

Bear road kills rise in Va. as animals seek food - WTOP.com

Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the bears are having it rough too, due to the poor acorn crop.

Bear road kills rise in Va. as animals seek food - WTOP.com
So much for Accuweather and the professor at Penn State that started this thread! Apparently bears can't read!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So much for Accuweather and the professor at Penn State that started this thread! Apparently bears can't read!
yeah, looks like they were way off. then again, so was i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature