Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:03 PM

12,080 posts, read 8,479,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We researched koi ponds in Atlanta for 3 years before building ours. We had them dug 4.5 ft deep with lots of rocks and hidey places for them as we found out loss to heron was pretty common. We started out with about 15 and 20 years later we had about 35. They live a long time. They come to food not so much people and when you had feed them they know the routine. They responded to the sound or feel of our foot steps. We always had a dog or two with us and they even swam up to the dogs expecting to be fed. We pet them and named them and really loved them. We sold that house 6 years ago and I often wonder if they are being properly cared for. Probably not.

we had lots of heron visit our ponds. I kept a metal spoon and cookie sheet at the back door to run out there and try to scare them away. The heron would just look at me and slowly amble away. I don't think we ever lost any to heron. The raccoon tried to get to them too but we made it impossible for them to get eaten unless something was actually willing to swim in the ponds and dive pretty deep. Never saw it happen.

Whenever we saw turtles on the road we would put them in our Turtle Box we kept in the car for transporting them back to our large and friendly yard.
Aw, no kudzu, you spoil my fun. I always like to pretend my pets love me for my sweet nature and not the food. Heh.

Same here with scaring a blue heron. Nobody bothers them when they are grocery shopping. I'd go out and tell him to go home and he'd just give me a look like, Lady, will you hold it down? I'm trying to fish here.

DH put some tiling block in the bottom so the new fish had a place to hide.

So, do the turtles stay with you or do they wander off again? Don't they eat your fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 PM

12,080 posts, read 8,479,970 times
I just bumped into Jonathon, the world's oldest living tortoise online earlier this week. Can you imagine hauling that heavy shell around for 180-some years?

BBC News - Meet Jonathan, St Helena's 182-year-old giant tortoise

Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,197,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Aw, no kudzu, you spoil my fun. I always like to pretend my pets love me for my sweet nature and not the food. Heh.

Same here with scaring a blue heron. Nobody bothers them when they are grocery shopping. I'd go out and tell him to go home and he'd just give me a look like, Lady, will you hold it down? I'm trying to fish here.

DH put some tiling block in the bottom so the new fish had a place to hide.

So, do the turtles stay with you or do they wander off again? Don't they eat your fish?
They had lots of bushes and rocks and even a creek on our property so never went looking for them. Figured they were safter on our proerty than close to a busy road. I thought turtles were herbivores...

Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,241,814 times
Quote:
Whenever we saw turtles on the road we would put them in our Turtle Box we kept in the car for transporting them back to our large and friendly yard.
Aw, you are so nice.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 AM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,468,905 times
Quote:
It was FAKE and a variation of a story which has been around forever.

snopes.com: Deer Crossing

She came forward and admitted she really did think the deer crossing signs were for deer.

"Donna the deer lady" admits she was wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1yEcdomt0

Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,197,005 times
I read all that as well but honestly do you believe anybody would be that dumb? We all know how radio stations like to have fun with people and pull stunts like this.
In any event this certainly has been entertaining for many people and probably continue to be for some time.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,468,905 times
Quote:
I read all that as well but honestly do you believe anybody would be that dumb? We all know how radio stations like to have fun with people and pull stunts like this.
In any event this certainly has been entertaining for many people and probably continue to be for some time.
Are you serious? Do a youtube search for "people are dumb Leno" and start from there. Though it's often attributed to Americans, similar things have been done in Europe and probably elsewhere. Many people worldwide are remarkably, notably, startlingly ignorant. Like anyone reading this, I've also met such people in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature