Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

When will people learn that wild animals should not be interacting with humans?

Dolphin Harassment Continues in Florida Panhandle, Tour Boat Operator Fined :: Office of Law Enforcement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Had to stop after seeing the dolphin's injury from a motor. Maybe a campaign with a poster of what can happen would
discourage and educate people.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Had to stop after seeing the dolphin's injury from a motor. Maybe a campaign with a poster of what can happen would
I think that's a little doubtful. If you live in a Disney fantasy, don't understand anything about the world without indoor plumbing or climate control and fail to recognize that wild dolphins are ACTUALLY wild animals, then I'm not sure that any public awareness campaign will fix the confusion between conservation and acclimating wild animals to hand feeding.

That said, you don't have to teach dolphins to wake surf... They just figure it out. I think they are just as aware of us as we are of them. Sometimes they get unlucky.

For an example of wake surfing, these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2SyTA302Xo

Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I think that's a little doubtful. If you live in a Disney fantasy, don't understand anything about the world without indoor plumbing or climate control and fail to recognize that wild dolphins are ACTUALLY wild animals, then I'm not sure that any public awareness campaign will fix the confusion between conservation and acclimating wild animals to hand feeding.
What? Indoor plumbing and climate control and Disney fantasy???? I'm in agreement with the OP and
the article that people should not be hand feeding them like a side show. The video is nothing new,
if you were in the Navy, you'd often see dolphins doing the same thing as in the video along a ship.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 AM

534 posts, read 1,171,251 times
Quote:
I wish. But it hasn't worked with the manatees. Every year, thousands of people flock to Florida to swim with them, pet them, and otherwise get their personal moment of zen. Meanwhile, the animals have lost virtually all fear of humans and are routinely hacked up by propeller blades.

People never stop to realize that they can "damage" a species by doing something other than killing them, outright.

We had this problem when I worked in both Alaska and - to a slightly lesser extent - Washington state. Whales migrate there in the summer from the Antarctic to feed and give birth. And the numerous tour boat operators chase and harass these animals constantly, interrupting their feeding, separating calves from parents, all for the almighty dollar. I still find it sad when people tell me they went on vacation to SE Alaska and went on a whale-watching tour.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
What? Indoor plumbing and climate control and Disney fantasy???? I'm in agreement with the OP and
the article that people should not be hand feeding them like a side show. The video is nothing new,
if you were in the Navy, you'd often see dolphins doing the same thing as in the video along a ship.
For clarity, the use of the word "you" in my previous comment wasn't intended as in "you personally mr. or ms. bailyvpotter".

I mean that people who live in a Disney fantasy aren't likely to be swayed from idiocy by awareness campaigns. I just don't think that works very well; the people who are receptive already know.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM

^^^My mistake, all is well - except for many wild animals due to peoples lack of awareness or ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature