Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

This is a blog I read this morning in Huffington Post. it is very sobering.

The Day A Dozen Parents and Children Killed a Shark for a Selfie*|*Joanna Zelman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewjacket View Post
Looks like a troll article.
It is kind of a "feelsy", "stupid humans" article, but I agree with the thrust. People, in a general sense, do seem to be losing touch with the natural world and they don't seem to care. I have to say, however, I doubt that Joanna Zelman and I would agree on much else.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
I once had a physician in Baltimore ask me what I did for a living. When I told him wildlife biology, he asked what that was.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I once had a physician in Baltimore ask me what I did for a living. When I told him wildlife biology, he asked what that was.
How many hours of undergrad life sciences did that physician have to take again?

Unrelated, but you made me think of it... I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me that at one of his residency interviews, the "panel" asked him about his one-rep maximum bench press, then made him prove it on a bench that had been theretofore obscured by curtains. After that, he was asked to identify a number of woodworking tools on flashcards and then asked to drill a 45 degree hole in a 2" PVC pipe. I guess that WOULD weed out some people that definitely shouldn't be sawbones, but alas I digress...

Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
There have always been stupid, heartless people. We just hear about it more.

Remember the slaughter of buffalo on the prairies, the whaling of some species to extinction, killing off birds like the passenger pigeons, dodos, and Carolina parakeets.

The upside is more people can be more easily educated these days to have respect for nature. The question is, will we?

Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
^^^agree. There is an extraordinary documentary by National Geographic "The Great White Odyssey"
about a female shark "Nicole" who traveled over 10,000 miles to find a mate. Highly recommend watching
the story of Nicole (remarkable new evidence of a shark migrating as well the plight of our oceans
and those who inhabit them).

Nicole | Michael Scholl

Unfortunately, many sharks are becoming endangered due to;
Shark Finning - Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Old 08-23-2014, 12:45 PM

687 posts, read 916,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You mean he asked a question such as "What is that exactly?"?

You need to lighten up, the guy was just trying to carry on a conversation and wanted to know IN MORE DETAIL what you did for a living, as if to ask what your day-to-day tasks entailed.

Do you go into the field? Do you sit behind a computer? Do you gather samples? Seriously, no one person aside from you knows exactly what it is your job entails. It's like giving someone a vague designation like "an engineer" or "a computer scientist" or "a teacher" Ok great, there are many kinds of each of those: DETAILS PLEASE for conversation's sake!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Speaking of lightening up.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
The problem I have is that we will eventually wipe out most wildlife - if we do not learn to control our own population. There will always be one segment of our population that doesn't care or relies on wildlife for food/sport. Can we lock everybody up that are hungry? If we could control our population there would be fewer examples of 'stupidity' or sheer ignorance.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:01 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
The best way to conserve fish, wildlife and their habitat is to lobby strongly for public ownership of wildlife, no introduced species and regulated hunting and fishing.

That is the case in much of North America, and the system has worked well since advocates like Teddy Roosevelt and Aldo Leopold championed it in the early 20th century. The biggest issues are when industrial resource interests are allowed to impact that habitat although that is slowly being recognized as a hindrance to wildlife.

As one wildlife biologist put it to me, "if the critters ain't got a bedroom to sleep or "procreate" in (he used a much more vernacular expression) or a kitchen to eat in, they ain't going to be around."

That pretty well puts it very succinctly, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature