Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times

Advertisements

You don't have to be able to outrun the bear...

you just have to be able to outrun your wife...

discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:15 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,270 times
Actually noise is your best deterrent. Not bells, those don't sound like people and can actually make bears curious as to what is making that sound. They will avoid you for the most part if they know you are coming. Bear spray is the next best deterrent. I have even heard of bug spray warding off grizzlies when they get a face full of it.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:36 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Actually noise is your best deterrent. Not bells, those don't sound like people and can actually make bears curious as to what is making that sound. They will avoid you for the most part if they know you are coming.
Bear bells can actually work on some bears. In fact, that reminds me of this identification tidbit:

Do you know how to tell the difference between Black Bear scat and Grizzly Bear scat?
The Grizzly Bear scat has bear bells in it.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
Metallic sounds are not normal in nature, so that is why bells are supposed to work. I've spent some time in bear country, no bells for me, but I did put them on the dogs, if nothing else I could hear where the were in the forest, and we never encountered any bears

Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
.44 mag at min. Be loud and move slowly.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I have read that it is a good idea to get into the habit of talking to yourself as you hike.

I would think that maybe having a book on tape read through a vest mounted loudspeaker might be a good idea?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
It has been a very long time since I hiked in bear country. But at the time just letting your presence be known was sufficient to keep them away.

However, these days with the loss of bear habitat and bears becoming scavengers in garbage cans I am afraid that the bears natural desire to avoid human's, is diminishing. Even worse some people feed bears, some bears may now actually be attracted to the presence of humans.

But, still the overall best advice is to be open and do everything possible to avoid surprising a bear.
Bears are generally not aggressive, but they are extremely defensive and very capable of defending them self if surprised.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
In Yellowstone National Park, there have been five backcountry bear fatalities since its founding in 1872. The most recent were two deaths by the same bear in 2011. With hundreds of thousands of the millions of annual visitors taking backcountry hikes, you can see that the odds of getting killed out by a bear are millions to one. If those odds bother people, then the problem isn't bears but ones of perception or psychology. Of course, the odds of getting injured by a bear are greater than those of getting killed - but injuries due to bears are still less common than injuries from lightning, from falls, from hypothermia, and so forth.

Virtually all bears in the backcountry will make haste to avoid humans. Problems occur when a bear is surprised, and doesn't see the human until the intruder is well within the bear's comfort zone. This usually happens when approaching from downwind so the bear can't smell you coming, or along a rushing stream where the din of the water masks the sounds of your approach. If suddenly the bear sees you when you're too close for comfort, it usually runs away - but sometimes it will decide to instead confront the threat with a charge. Almost all charges are bluffs. They would still be rather, shall we say, stress-inducing.
Bear Inflicted Human Injuries and Fatalities in Yellowstone - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Camping & Hiking in Black Bear Country - The American Bear Association

Also, it should be noted that bear spray is the most effective deterrent. No, this is not theory - it has been proven in the field (however, I know that all the evidence in the world won't convince those who decide what they want to believe and then reject all evidence that does not comport with what they want to be so).
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_coug...prayAlaska.pdf

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I live in bear country and hike all the time. The most dangerous is in spring when they're hungry. NEVER get between a mama and her cubs. I always carry bear spray, and a .40 Glock. Bears will typically run away if you make noise. I'm more concerned about mountain lions here than bears.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:24 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I would think that maybe having a book on tape read through a vest mounted loudspeaker might be a good idea?
WARNING! Don't have it be a book about Goldilocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature