Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times

Advertisements

Thanx Phil, you pointed out something I have been trying to figure out/find for a long time. Kept me wondering what I was missing. I will have to add to that in a few days though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How exactly do you cooperate with an asteroid/comet?

How does one cooperate with a Toba-like Event?

And when you get to 12 Billion you'll see just how wrong they are.

The Earth can easily carry 60+ Billion people.
LOL.. that many people..what about the animals and plants that sustain us? can they live in a world with this many people?

Old 11-11-2015, 03:49 AM

922 posts, read 807,012 times
Extinction. The way evolution works is that the dominant species has to die to make room for something more advanced.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:07 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Will humanity turn things around becoming cooperative with nature or will we end up going extinct? Although there are some problems it does seem that people and governments are beginning to turn things around and were beggining to go in the right direction as a whole. What are your thoughts on this? Also, what I'm really looking for is some solid factual data so please list some if possible. Thanks in advance!
Humanity will march on and go forth and populate the heavens we will outlast the earth and become like gods.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Humanity will march on and go forth and populate the heavens we will outlast the earth and become like gods.
That's what the bacteria in my Petri dish said!

Just out of curiosity; what do you think our fate would be if we woke up tomorrow and our money had no value? Do you think that we would be friendlier and toil, working the soil together, to survive? Or; do you think that it would fast become a dog eat dog world? I am not too sure that people would be patient and do whatever it takes to continue the race.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That's what the bacteria in my Petri dish said!

Just out of curiosity; what do you think our fate would be if we woke up tomorrow and our money had no value? Do you think that we would be friendlier and toil, working the soil together, to survive? Or; do you think that it would fast become a dog eat dog world? I am not too sure that people would be patient and do whatever it takes to continue the race.
If that happens I would run up in yo house and jack yo stuff

Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If that happens I would run up in yo house and jack yo stuff
That's my point!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM

662 posts, read 313,416 times
Extinction is inevitable. If we don't do it to ourselves (I don't think we will), nature will throw another rock at us eventually. Humans will go extinct along with a huge portion of other species.

I think humans are due for a population correction. Nature tries to thin the herd constantly. We have found ways around it over and over and over. Sooner or later, things will happen that we won't be able to work around. If humans didn't save the weak, overpopulation wouldn't happen, or not for long at all anyway. I don't make that statement without care for the weak. I had severe asthma as a child. Without civilization and modern technology, nature would have likely taken me out early.

I would like to think we could try to use resources more sparingly and allow for the most number of people to have the most fun and enjoyable lives before the next comet or asteroid impact. Unfortunately, the number of greedy resource wasting people is so high we are facing major problems in our lifetime. Anybody that doesn't think wars over water will become common is fooling themselves. Less than 1/4th of the world's population has access to consistent, clean drinking water. Meanwhile, capitalist nations think its a good idea to take water from one part of the planet, put it in plastic, and ship it to the other side of the world so people can feel like they have elite water. All government and economic systems have their faults. Capitalism's biggest fault IMO is that it constantly wastes resources without hesitation if it will make somebody and extra buck.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I hate to sound pessimistic; I don't hold too much faith in the future. If you listen to the majority of scientist; the Earth can sustain somewhere between nine and ten billion people. Of course our clock is ticking: World Population Clock: 7.3 Billion People (2015) - Worldometers. Then you go to other sites that tell us how fast we are approaching overpopulation:How Many People Can Planet Earth Support? | When Will the Human Population Start to Decline?. According to that link: "Note that: humans took 150,000 years to get to the first billion. The most recent billion arrived in just 12 years.".

As we approach the 'upward limits of population' chances are that wars/famine/pestilence or even an economic meltdown will play major rolls in containing our problems.

I look at us as if we are no smarter than the bacteria in the Petrie dish. If you have a sterile Petrie dish, with the right agar/heat/and moisture and then touch your finger to it (exposing the plate to your bacteria); the bacterial colonies will grow until all the food is consumed and then they die. The Earth is our Petrie dish; we have no other sustainable life on other planets. We cannot even address this problem; we don't even know how to talk about it.
Tom Malthus long ago understood the dynamics of natural populations …

We human beings like to imagine that we are above Nature or have "conquered" Nature or that we can manage and control Nature (to our own liking) …

We are in for a series of very serious shocks … Just using more solar panels and riding our bicycles more and switching to those new fancy lightbulbs and eating less meat isn't going to save us … We're in deep deep trouble that we have half-wittedly made for ourselves …

The GOOD news is that the planet will be fine and living things will be here long after we are gone, but we may well be *gone* ...

Old 11-27-2015, 06:13 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Will humanity turn things around becoming cooperative with nature or will we end up going extinct? Although there are some problems it does seem that people and governments are beginning to turn things around and were beggining to go in the right direction as a whole. What are your thoughts on this? Also, what I'm really looking for is some solid factual data so please list some if possible. Thanks in advance!
We are here by chance, no guarantee we have to exist. change takes places faster than we can adapt, we go away.

It is egocentric to think man can control the dynamics of earth.

People and governments are not turning things around, just collecting money.

there is no drop dead date or specific projections of any kind regarding reversal of whatever parameters referenced or even a cause and effect, it is more of an association.

Impact is all speculation and nebulous theoretical projections.

More important to respect the earth, not sacrifice first borns so a government bureaucrat might intercede with the angy gods on our behalf.

Solid factual data is non existent...only academic theory. Precedent shows a dynamic earth not the static creation man wants it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature