Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:26 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,775 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure where to put this question so mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

I have a large 3 level deck in my back yard. I'd like to cover up the open areas on the side of the deck that allow access to raccoon's and other furry critters. But I'm afraid I'll end up locking them in. I can see under the higher portion of the deck, but not the lower levels. Is there any way to tell if they're under there before I accidentally lock them in? Or any way to make sure they're gone before I do this? I'd hate to think of any animal suffering because it couldn't get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 06:59 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Hire some one with experience with wild animals to check it out. Don't go under there your self. Trapped animals Bite & can carry Rabies. IF any signs are found the person you hire can live trap & move them safely.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:26 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Night critters go out at night. Take a roll of chicken wire and put it out around 10pm or so and look for digging signs the next day. That will tell you, the next day, if a critter is living there.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,920 times
Ellie, another thing to consider is that if you have raccoons under your deck, they may have a latrine in the area. This is bad news, especially if you have children or grandchildren. Raccoons sometimes carry a roundworm that can be devastating to humans if they are infected. I realize that this may sound a bit alarmist but I wanted you to be aware of it. I wouldn't rule out speaking with a qualified professional if you're sure that you have raccoons under there.

For reference: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisa...onlatrines.pdf.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Ellie, another thing to consider is that if you have raccoons under your deck, they may have a latrine in the area. This is bad news, especially if you have children or grandchildren. Raccoons sometimes carry a roundworm that can be devastating to humans if they are infected. I realize that this may sound a bit alarmist but I wanted you to be aware of it. I wouldn't rule out speaking with a qualified professional if you're sure that you have raccoons under there.

For reference: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisa...onlatrines.pdf.
Thank you.. I had no idea they did that. I'll look around for a latrine.

Honestly, I don't know if any live under there or if they just run under there when they see me. I left the feral cat food out one night and I had the whole family helping themselves. But the only one I've seen lately and not often is the huge male raccoon.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Night critters go out at night. Take a roll of chicken wire and put it out around 10pm or so and look for digging signs the next day. That will tell you, the next day, if a critter is living there.
I'll do that, thanks. That is a good idea.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Do that and Any Babies will Die! Do what I suggested in my 1st post. That way You wont be leaving any critter trapped under the deck.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:36 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Critters won't attack unless they have a female protecting nest.
Do what #3 says. Use 9 gauge chicken wire. Before you staple it to the deck or attach otherwise, dig about 6 inch deep trench along perimeter and bury lower net edge into it. Or, they will go under. The deeper the better.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Oh, and as of latrine. Spray the heck of under the deck space with vinegar. They hate the smell. Re-spray in few days after net install, just keep in mind vinegar will kill any vegetation. This should be enough to wean them away from the place.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Do that and Any Babies will Die! Do what I suggested in my 1st post. That way You wont be leaving any critter trapped under the deck.
Katie, no babies are going to die. I'm going to use the chicken wire experiment first before I do anything permanent. If there's a mom that get's separated from her babies whether it's a raccoon, or opossum she's going to dig her way under it and won't stop until she get's them. I've seen what they've done to my garbage pails.. a little chicken wire isn't going to stop a mama from getting to her babies. That way at least I'll know for sure whether something is living under there or not. All I really want to do is to keep the large male and female racoon's from living there. The male has no fear of humans and he scares me. I plan on leaving a 5 or 6 inch opening so my feral has a place to go too. That small an opening should keep out raccoons but if one has babies under there she'd rip it open to get to them since it will just be the chicken wire at first.

Trapping is no guarantee. If there is something there we could trap the mom and we'd never know if she had little babies under there. My lower deck is only about a foot off the ground and you can't get a trap in that section, and you can't see under there because thats where the piping for the pool runs, plus I think when they installed the deck, they dumped all their leftover wood scraps under there.

I'll try the vinegar too. It's cheap and if the neighbors complain my yard smells like salad dressing.. oh well..they'll get over it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature