Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 01:46 AM

218 posts, read 172,222 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that has a Quaker Parrot and...among other things she has taught it some curse words. For example, when I have talked with it, I have had it say "f you" to me numerous times, as well as other off-color things. My friend just laughs and thinks it's funny. But what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:53 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
I do think it is abuse, because the result is that the parrot becomes unsaleable. Parrots live a long, long time, and might outlast their current owner, for different reasons. A parrot who is unsaleable has a bleak future.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I do think it is abuse, because the result is that the parrot becomes unsaleable. Parrots live a long, long time, and might outlast their current owner, for different reasons. A parrot who is unsaleable has a bleak future.
Abuse is doing harm to the animal. The parrot is clueless what those sounds mean to humans. There is zero abuse to the bird.

That it might prevent selling the animal to another human is a bit ironic. This is an animal that belongs in the wild and is now the captive pet/slave of humans. You are worrying about the resale value of a "slave." Maybe keeping such a bird as a possession is the abuse.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:07 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Abuse is doing harm to the animal. The parrot is clueless what those sounds mean to humans. There is zero abuse to the bird.

That it might prevent selling the animal to another human is a bit ironic. This is an animal that belongs in the wild and is now the captive pet/slave of humans. You are worrying about the resale value of a "slave." Maybe keeping such a bird as a possession is the abuse.
No, I'm not worrying about the resale value of the bird. I am worrying what will happen if a new owner cannot be found for a bird that cannot take care of itself. The abuse is further down the line and happens long after the original owner has died or got tired of the bird. Some people would just open the window and rid themselves of the problem.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:34 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Reminds me of a funny thing. When In graduate school, my wife had a parakeet. She taught it some words: Judy (her name), John (my name), Sam (the birds name), and the word loves. The parakeet would come out with all different combinations but it always stated with a name then the word loves, then another name. We always got a laugh about it.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:42 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Abusive? No.

Irresponsible and stupid? Yes.

But then birds are like kids. Sometimes they learn words you didn't actually intend on teaching them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature