Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

poor guy. no insurance.

West Alabama man fighting for his life after a near lethal snake bite

Quote:
Phillips walked outside his Gilbertown home after his kids found a multi-colored reptile. Philips, whose older brother is a past snake owner, wanted to catch the snake as a gift. What he thought was harmless turned out to be the second-deadliest snake in the country.

“Jeff went to pick it up and told him he didn’t really need to pick it up but he did and he actually was holding it and he let the children touch the snake. Not knowing that it was a coral snake, he thought it was just a king snake,” said Phillips.

The coral snake bit Phillips leaving his body completely paralyzed. He was rushed to Anderson Hospital where antivenin was flown in to save his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:14 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Coral snakes and scarlet king snakes are similar but...

red next to yellow does kill a fellow.

If you place them side by side you can then definitely see the difference.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM

14,321 posts, read 11,719,111 times
That's scary! I like snakes and will sometimes pick them up while I'm hiking/biking, but I do know the difference between the venomous snakes in our area (which are all rattlesnakes) and the harmless ones. Once I was almost fooled by a tiny baby rattler, so I'm extra careful with the little ones.

Our king snakes don't have any red, just black and yellow. But even out here, we've heard that rhyme.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's scary! I like snakes and will sometimes pick them up while I'm hiking/biking, but I do know the difference between the venomous snakes in our area (which are all rattlesnakes) and the harmless ones. Once I was almost fooled by a tiny baby rattler, so I'm extra careful with the little ones.

Our king snakes don't have any red, just black and yellow. But even out here, we've heard that rhyme.

OP knows more about snakes than I do...but

King snakes here in NC are large, black with white bands.

It's the Scarlet King snake (small snake) here that is color banded with red, yellow, black.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 05-16-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Personally, I get no thrill out of picking up any kind of snake. I don't have a snake phobia but why would I want to mess with an animal minding it's own business and not bothering me. I can enjoy looking at it without the need to pick it up.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
The only snakes here I won't kill are the common harmless garden snake and the black indigo or coach whips. All others are on the open season list. We have the corals, kings, western rattler, rock rattler, cotton mouth, copperhead, pig, and massasauge. The one I hate most is the rock rattler. They don't get big but have a huge attitude and it ain't good.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The only snakes here I won't kill are the common harmless garden snake and the black indigo or coach whips. All others are on the open season list. We have the corals, kings, western rattler, rock rattler, cotton mouth, copperhead, pig, and massasauge. The one I hate most is the rock rattler. They don't get big but have a huge attitude and it ain't good.

Why do you kill them?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Why do you kill them?
Why not? It's not like they are endangered species.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Coral snakes also have a black nose (the two look-alikes don't), and this was the criterion used to distinguish them when I was younger.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
I got tangled up with a Water Moccasin when I was a kid. As in; literally tangled up ...

I was swimming in the Pecos River in New Mexico & I got tumbled by the current, onto my back with my legs up in the air & as my legs rose up out of the water while I was drifting with the current; I saw it wrapped around my right leg.

It was sort of surreal but I could swear it was just as surprised as I was. I lowered my leg back down & the current eased it of my leg, uncoiling it over my foot.

So, I got out of the water, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature