Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 07:29 AM

469 posts, read 467,079 times

Advertisements

Do you have any mockingbirds in your backyard? We sure do. It's a male bird and boy can he sing. You should listen to this bird. He goes on all day and well into the night. I've read that males do this in hopes of attracting a mate. The longer they go without attracting a mate the louder and more varied their singing becomes. Yesterday evening I decided to test him out a bit. I found a video of a female mockingbird on YouTube and I put my phone out on the patio and played it. Immediately, the male bird flew up by our lanai and he hovered up next to the screen. He did this several times trying to figure out where that female mockingbird was. After a couple minutes of watching this my girlfriend told me to shut it off before he flew into the screen and ripped it up. I felt bad afterwards. My girlfriend says I need a hobby or perhaps therapy. If anyone can send a female mockingbird our way it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 08:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
Catch it and send it to one of the several mockingbird 'lovers' here on C-D.

They would just love having one make that cacophonous racket right out side their window at 1am.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

They would just love having one make that cacophonous racket right out side their window at 1am.

Ha! We've gotten used to the little rascal but I'm wondering why it's taken him months and still no woman in his life. We are thinking that maybe he's got a B.O. issue or perhaps he needs a new hairdo. He can sing well but he's still not scoring with the ladies.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
Ha! We've gotten used to the little rascal but I'm wondering why it's taken him months and still no woman in his life. We are thinking that maybe he's got a B.O. issue or perhaps he needs a new hairdo. He can sing well but he's still not scoring with the ladies.
He's not singing to "score" with the ladies. He's singing to warn the other male mockingbirds away from his territory, which probably encompasses your yard and some adjacent yards. Watch him if another mockingbird comes close and the fighting starts - I've seen mockingbirds down on the ground trying to kill each other when fighting over their territory. Apparently your bird is - so far - top bird in the hood. I can empathize, as I have one too!

Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Oh ha! I just made a post about Mockingbirds here in another thread.... I'll copy it here where it actually fits better. And I seem to be inundated with them around here... they love the 7' dense hedges along the property line.

I have a few mockingbirds here that are soon to eat out of my hand. 2 of them now will fly up to me and land about 2 ft away.. awaiting a half grape. Generally, what I'm doing now is I open the front door and I made up a whistle to let them know I'm there and I can see the bravest one come flying from across the street and he'll land on the planter right near me at the door and I drop the grape, but the funny thing is, the other day I noticed they (well.. one, at least) are now copying the whistle call I made up! It added a bit of flair at the end of the call tho, lol. It's fun.
If I'm working in the yard weeding or something, I bring a little bowl of grapes cut in half because they will fly up and land about 2 feet in front of me on the ground and holler for a grape.
If I happen to open the front door for some other reason and don't even think about the bird, more often than not, a bird will fly up and land on that planter next to me and will wait until I go back in and get the grape and bring it back. It's happening about 5-6 times a day now, lol.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
For years we've had a mockingbird come back every spring. He's been sitting on our chimney, singing to the world, and his song has traveled down the chimney, filling up our living room. Absolutely enchanting. But this year a crow colony (yes, a murder of crows) has taken over the trees in the backyard, and now it's a baby crow sitting on the chimney. The screeching of baby crows has got to be one of the worst bird calls.

We had a mockingbird years ago who used to imitate the sound of my cellphone ringing!

Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
For years we've had a mockingbird come back every spring. He's been sitting on our chimney, singing to the world, and his song has traveled down the chimney, filling up our living room. Absolutely enchanting. But this year a crow colony (yes, a murder of crows) has taken over the trees in the backyard, and now it's a baby crow sitting on the chimney. The screeching of baby crows has got to be one of the worst bird calls.

We had a mockingbird years ago who used to imitate the sound of my cellphone ringing!

haha... that's pretty good

Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
He's not singing to "score" with the ladies. He's singing to warn the other male mockingbirds away from his territory, which probably encompasses your yard and some adjacent yards. Watch him if another mockingbird comes close and the fighting starts - I've seen mockingbirds down on the ground trying to kill each other when fighting over their territory. Apparently your bird is - so far - top bird in the hood. I can empathize, as I have one too!

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that but there are a lot of mockingbirds here in our neighborhood and all over our city. When I first moved here to this area I was unfamiliar with mockingbirds so when I heard the variety of calls I though Wow! there must be a heck of a lot of birds around here. Eventually i realized it was just one particular type of bird that made all those sounds. I'm amazed at these birds and have grown to like them . We are in the AC season here in hot humid southwest Florida so now that we have the house shut up I can't hear the mockingbirds unless I go outside. I do walk at daybreak (about the only time you can walk without sweating profusely) and I hear a lot of different mockingbirds as I wind my way throughout all the walking trails. Pretty cool to listen to them. I believe that the mockingbird is the state songbird of Florida.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:40 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times

Old 06-26-2020, 03:41 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

Never known anyone to hate mockingbirds before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature