Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 10:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Probably not an option for you but I have gone up against every rodent imaginable with a long time faithful ally and been victorious every time. Mr. and Mrs. Bull snake. Folks elsewhere call them gopher snakes. They can get to be 5 foot long regular like and just the SMELL of them makes vermin seek life elsewhere.

I've also used urine and feces from other predators that works as well. Cats are an available one if you know someone with a housecat take some soiled litter and scatter it about. With squirrels though nothing works better than snake or raptor odor. Hawk, owl and such. That smell makes squirrels double nervous. You can't smell it so much, but they can. Anyway if any of that is an option it's worth a go.

How does one encourage these snakes to move into the yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 09:17 AM

4,259 posts, read 3,180,299 times
[quote=TwinbrookNine;62573095]Where is this and what kind of squirrels? We had tons of fox squirrels in the neighborhood where I grew up but I never heard of them gnawing their way into houses or even garages.

Raccoons are another thing. They are capable of and will tear off siding to get inside a building.[/QUOTEe

Can't speak to Fox squirrels but can absolutely confirm that run of the mill Greys will chew through wood as I have actually watched them at work!

Old 12-28-2021, 03:03 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,363,901 times
When I bought my house, the attic had squirrels. I found they were were coming in and out of the attic fan. I hired someone. He finally put traps in the attic and got them but you have to make sure there is no other way in. Just hang out and watch like I did. Eventually I saw where they were getting in.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:27 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,184,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
When I bought my house, the attic had squirrels. I found they were were coming in and out of the attic fan. I hired someone. He finally put traps in the attic and got them but you have to make sure there is no other way in. Just hang out and watch like I did. Eventually I saw where they were getting in.
Thanks, the trap got another one today in fact

Old 12-28-2021, 10:44 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
I don't understand why any property owner would do nothing when animals are getting inside, tearing up wires, chewing holes, etc.

I just hired exterminators to seal up our house and attic. They did inside first, set traps, then outside. Worth every penny to keep the squirrels and other unwanted pests out.

I couldn't take 5 years of that.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:36 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,184,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't understand why any property owner would do nothing when animals are getting inside, tearing up wires, chewing holes, etc.

I just hired exterminators to seal up our house and attic. They did inside first, set traps, then outside. Worth every penny to keep the squirrels and other unwanted pests out.

I couldn't take 5 years of that.
We used to have a lady running the office here that was perfect. Everyone loved her as she took care of us which the owners did not like as it cost them money. Now they have a woman in there running things that wont do anything as it saves the owners money and we get nothing done. The owners love her for that

They should have hired professionals 5 years ago to take care of this. Instead they waited 5 years only to save money by having their own people try and deal with this and nothing has changed

Last edited by Robert9; 12-29-2021 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature