Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times

Advertisements

About 2 miles away from us, there's a residential facility with a lot of open grass/trees/woods. And they have allowed what 15 years ago was a few wild turkeys to grow into a huge flock. Being that they are wild, the facility/city has not tried to manage them and they are often found roaming within 10 blocks, even across a major road. We live approximately 2 miles from the "turkey farm" and have seen this one turkey moving further and further away. Yesterday, the turkey took up residence in our yard. It appears to be a female, is quite large and appears to be making herself at home next to the neighbor's car and wandering around a large field.

The turkeys are quite used to people, but yet are really not tame. My kitties showed some initial curiosity but mostly pay it no attention. I just have no idea what we should do with it, if anything.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by NY Annie; 07-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: adding pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM

trying to embed a pic

Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,789 times
we have wild turkeys all over where i live. they roam up and down the street in packs. here and there is a lone turkey that must have been pushed out of the pack. they don't really do any harm. once in awhile they'll chase after the cars and act nasty. i imagine it's during their mating season. my only complaint is when they eat my cat food!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird. Quite intelligent birds.
We have quite a few wild turkey here as well, looking foreword to fall.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,661 times
I've seen as many as 40 adult turkeys wandering through my yard at once. Lately, it's been two adults and a dozen young, born this past spring.

They do no harm, and it's enjoyable to watch them.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Not worry about the turkey doing harm, worried about harm doing the turkey. We have some very nasty animals of the 2 and 4 legged kind. Raccoons and possum that are out in the day not afraid of people - and some of the people that those critters SHOULD be afraid of. Plus the traffic. Right here at our house, it's safe, but if it continues on its travels - the neighbors have already tried to chase it - it could definitely see harm. We all know to look for it on the roads around the hospital - there are even signs about "turkey crossing" but right here near the bridge, people zoom at 50+. We're in the city, it's not the country where people expect to see a turkey prancing around.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
We have had up to seventy five and even more in our back yard. There is one neighbor that religiously feeds them and they also enjoy some of our duck food. I have not had a tick on me since the turkeys took over our back yard. We live in the red zone for Lyme Disease. Some have come pretty close to me – as long as I don't make eye-to-eye contact (they do not like to be the attention of our stairs). Turkeys are usually pretty good about getting out of the road. The biggest problem is when they fly low over the road and could possibly hit one of our windshields. If they do hit the windshield; they could easily break the glass and end up taking out the driver or passenger. With all of the turkeys around my house I have never hit one on the road and only rarely have to stop to let them cross.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Around the hospital, these silly turkeys strut across the road and traffic stops while the "turklings" are taken for their walk. The flock has grown enormously in the last 15 years from about 10 turkeys to well over 100. When they cross the road, you stop and wait.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Around the hospital, these silly turkeys strut across the road and traffic stops while the "turklings" are taken for their walk. The flock has grown enormously in the last 15 years from about 10 turkeys to well over 100. When they cross the road, you stop and wait.
Apparently ours are trained better – or we don't have as many roads. Here is a link to another article on your pest (although this article is about PA turkeys): Turkeys turning into new pest on neighborhood block - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wild turkeys remind me of prehistoric dinosaurs. They run like dinosaurs. The also have some strange habits such as sanding on one foot to warm the other foot under their feathers when it is very cold and sticking their head into dense foliage (like the Japanese Andromeda) when it is raining (leaving the rest of their body in the rain).

Around here the flocks do not roost together – they will usually pick different trees and spread out over a large territory (I am curious if they roost closer together in the city – with few trees)?

Their mating ceremony is very interesting. It is all about showmanship and the actual act is over in the blink of an eye. I have heard that some people complain that humans are the same!

You should try to enjoy them while you can. Grab your cameras and get some good picture. You can tell your grandchildren how we used to have turkeys around our house. There is always the chance that complaints will lead to their relocation.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,090 times
Thats awesome!!!
I have them too... & ducks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature