Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times

Advertisements

Ok, this may sound nuts but I swear it's true. This morning around 5:15 a.m. I was walking the dog. Still dark, there are woods behind where I live. As I got closer to the woods, I heard this penetrating screaming animal...it was not a cat...I've heard cats scream, it was not a cougar...nor was it dogs...and it was not a heron..

I've never heard anything like it before...it was very loud, matter of fact, I'm surprised it didn't wake some of the neighbors.

I can't even describe it...it wasn't screaming until we got closer to the woods, then it started...it sounded like something huge, and the best description I could use, is, it sounded like a huge bird...I've heard heron's and it was nothing like that...it was actually screaming, very loud.

As we walked further away, it stopped, and I heard nothing moving in the woods, while the screams were so loud, I probably wouldn't have?

Also, it wasn't a bear or a deer...I've heard deer scream before...nor was it wild turkey.

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,222 times
My guess would be a screech owl. Their call is pretty disconcerting if you've never heard it before. Scroll down this page and listen: Owl Calls & Sounds - All Species.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,569 times

Sorry just had to.
but really hit that website leorah listed and check out some of those animals sounds. You might be surprised at how common your animal really was. i have never heard two cat in heat calls ever really be the same nor two toads croak the same and I have lots of both around my house. One lovely toad ( the smallest ) can call out so loud that I can still hear him over the driving boomboxes on wheels as they go by the house.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
I know that the sound of a bobcat in the dead of night is enough to make your hair stand on end. It's like a possessed hyena that's heckling you.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 AM

Default Case Solved

I was on the internet trying to find the sound and here it is...
I was relieved to find out it wasn't a Banshee...LOL

I can't tell you how loud it was, horrible, plus a lot longer then this, it kept screaming and screaming!

YouTube - red-tailed hawk screaming

Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,222 times
Hmmmmm. Red-tailed hawks and most other hawks are diurnal. Hawks are visual hunters, and because their eyes aren't able to see well in the dark, they don't hunt at night. Owls do hunt at night. Hawks and owls share habitat. So, if it was dark when you heard the screaming noise, it probably wasn't a hawk of any kind.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,868 times
Default fox call

It's probably a fox
listen to these fox calls especially "faroffcry"

Sounds of the Fox

Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
How about a coyote? We've got some in our woods and their sound is pretty creepy.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Hmmmmm. Red-tailed hawks and most other hawks are diurnal. Hawks are visual hunters, and because their eyes aren't able to see well in the dark, they don't hunt at night. Owls do hunt at night. Hawks and owls share habitat. So, if it was dark when you heard the screaming noise, it probably wasn't a hawk of any kind.

Yes it was dark, bout 5 a.m., and it didn't start screaming until we approached the woods, my guess is, it might have been nesting and saw my little white dog...?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
It's probably a fox
listen to these fox calls especially "faroffcry"

Sounds of the Fox
many thanks,
yanno, I think it sounded like the fox in Distress, but it was very loud and went on for approximately 3 minutes or more, and it sounded like two, like fighting...

thanks so much for the sounds...

althought the hawk screathing was close, the screathing was much longer..

boy, I would love to know....

whew, sure am glad it wasn't big foot. Sucker might have snatched us right up....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature