Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 AM

16 posts, read 58,683 times

Advertisements

Looking for places to catch rattlesnakes in Nebraska. I've heard the Chimney Rock area has lots of snakes as well as the Chadron area and dog towns around Ogallala. Scottsbluff area is supposed to have lots of snakes also. Anyone have good information about snakes in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM

370 posts, read 1,356,586 times
Find a rancher just about anywhere in the western 1/3 of the state to get permission from, and start walking the sandhills.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM

31 posts, read 85,868 times
There are also some Massasauga rattlers down around Burchard Lake in SE Nebr.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
You'll find very few rattlesnakes in the Sandhills, but all of the rocky areas already mentioned will have them.
This time of year you're probably out of luck though.

My dog found one in our pasture last year. They're pretty common.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron van bergen View Post
Looking for places to catch rattlesnakes in Nebraska. I've heard the Chimney Rock area has lots of snakes as well as the Chadron area and dog towns around Ogallala. Scottsbluff area is supposed to have lots of snakes also. Anyone have good information about snakes in these areas?
Just about any river or creek with sandy or rocky soil along the banks is good habitat for rattlesnakes. Bull snakes kill rattlesnakes and they are dominant over the rattlesnakes although they can both inhabit the same area. The Snake River close to Valentine and Merrit Reservoir is aptly named. Fishing in the area can be hazardous if you don't have knee high boots.

If you can locate Prairie Dog towns you will find rattlesnakes.

GL2

Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
You'll find very few rattlesnakes in the Sandhills,
I'll remember that next time I'm antelope hunting in the sandhills and encounter numerous rattlesnakes...

I would agree that you will find many on rocky areas, but the grassy sandhills hold many too. When you are sneaking up on antelope you tend to sneak up on snakes as well...

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM

By the way, here is an earlier thread about them. I had some photos posted there, but they seem to be gone now.

scottsbluff and rattle snakes

Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM

16 posts, read 58,683 times
After posting a thread about snakes I really enjoy reading other people's experiences with snakes. Keep them coming. I'm a northern Minnesota guy and we have bears, wolves and moose that some people fear. Personally I don't worry about them.....but when I am traipsing around in snake country I use great caution but still Inever get comfortable.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
I'll remember that next time I'm antelope hunting in the sandhills and encounter numerous rattlesnakes...
Where??

I've lived all over the Sandhills and this has not been my experience at all...

For the same reason you don't find too many prairie dogs in the Sandhills, you don't usually find rattlesnakes, either. Generally speaking, you need rocky areas, and/or, firm soil for rattlesnake habitat.
You don't find that type of terrain in the vast majority of the Sandhills.

Then again, now that I'm thinking about it, you don't really find too many antelope in the Sandhills either. If I'm thinking correctly, you can't even GET an antelope permit in almost all of the Sandhills counties because they're pretty uncommon...

Are you sure you're hunting IN the Sandhills, and not one of the surrounding regions, like the panhandle or the Platte Valley?

Last edited by itsMeFred; 12-02-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Hope you have snake boots are they will find you first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska