Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 28,931 times

Advertisements

I have already read a lot of threads on here about moving to Lincoln and how it compares to different places in the US. I just went to Lincoln for the first time and so I now understand the "small town, big city feel", although I am from Los Angeles and have been living in San Francisco for the past 4 years. Lincoln feels nothing like these cities and that is actually a good thing on some levels.

Anyways, my question is concerning people on the west coast moving to Lincoln. This might sound pretentious but I am curious about how people from the west coast (California particularly) are able to adjust to living in Lincoln or the Midwest in general. I have lived in California my whole life but I have a very open mind and am seriously looking forward to living in a place that can provide me with an entirely new experience.

But my fear is that I have heard from people who live in Lincoln that Californians eventually move back or hate it so much that they regret their decision. A taxi driver told me that I will be running back home very quickly. I am joining a PhD program at UNL and the Californians that have been in that program all left within ONE semester. I find that really sad and it is making Californians look like closed minded people who can't open up to different places.

So...give me the truth. Have you encountered Californians in Nebraska that moved back because they couldn't handle it? Does anyone know successful west coasters that have made a good life there?

I am still moving to Nebraska no matter what. I know there are four seasons there, tornadoes are common, there is snow, ect. Actually, I was in Lincoln when the tornado sirens went off in April. So I was pretty scared ****less but I survived (haha) and it didn't scare me away.

Anyways, advice/stories of any kind is very welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 02:12 PM

19 posts, read 60,677 times
FWIW I met this girl at the University who was from California and loved it in Nebraska.

And tornadoes aren't that common and Nebraska doesn't get hit hard like states south of here. I mean there are tornadoes but I'd say the risk of being in a tornado in Nebraska is less then being in an earthquake in California. Hell since you were here for that storm in April, nothing has happened since then, albeit it was only a couple of weeks ago.

I'm 21, lived in Nebraska my entire life, and have seen ZERO tornadoes in person with my own two eyes. And yes it does snow, but I once spent one of the worst winters here driving a Mustang around town, yeah that sucked but even then there was only 2-3 days when I couldn't use the main roads (Or rather didn't trust my rear wheeled beauty).

It doesn't get that cold here and if you think so then I'd you're a wimp haha. Seriously though the temperature never gets that low, its the wind that will get you. I think this last winter we only had two days when it dropped below 0 degrees and that was in the morning, those days still saw highs in the 20's. Now having said that there are some years when the highs are in single digits and rarely do you see day(s) when the high doesn't reach 0.

Here's a link if you are interested in the climate here and want more data.
Lincoln-climate-data

My question to you is why did the people from California leave Nebraska?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 PM

13 posts, read 28,931 times
VitruvianMan - Thanks for your insight - it helps hear that there are some Californians in Nebraska enjoying life. The climate data really helps too. You will think I am a wimp for sure when it comes to weather. I get cold very easily. But everyone is telling me that I will adapt eventually. My dad is from the east coast and he tells me it takes a full year for the body to adapt to weather changes.

I think I'l be fine overall but I'm just a little worried about Nebraskan's view of wimpy Californians like myself. I teach at university here and told my students that I was moving to Nebraska and they were all in complete shock, saying things like "Aren't there tornadoes hitting everyone there?" "Why do people live there?" "Only boring people live there" - these statements really made me realize even more how "soft" Californians are when it comes to anything outside of California. Anyways, thanks again!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM

29 posts, read 100,141 times
LASFMID, I am from London, England originally and have lived in NYC for the past 12 years. We'll be moving out to Lincoln in September this year and I for one can't wait. Maybe it is the explorer in me, but there is something about the US where moving on and trying something new is an adventure. My wife has family in Lincoln and we have a son, so for raising a family there are additional reasons that make it a great move. Man, just the slower pace of life will be a relief. I spent a bit of time in SF too and whilst (like NYC and London) it is a beautiful city, there is something so refreshing about seeing the stars at night and actually being able to go camping on the weekend (although, I know in Cali that is probably a piece of cake). GL with your move!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM

31 posts, read 86,038 times
I grew up in Lincoln but lived in Southern Cal for a few years after high school. The ocean is what I miss the most. It's a slower pace here no doubt, but it is all about what you make of it.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 AM

68 posts, read 229,088 times
My wife grew up in Sac. I met her here, I'm from Louisiana, so I know about adjusting to the cold. We both have lived here for almost 14 years now, and I dont think we are leaving. My wife came for college, and has never left, so there is at least one success story for you. About the cold, it is wierd how quickly your body adjust. In Oct when the temp starts to drop you are freezing at 40, after going through the colder months of the winter, you will be unzipping your coat at 30 in late Jan, early Feb. I never thought I would think 30 was feeling good, but after a few cold months, it does. I think the biggest issue, will be is the way Lincoln people think the other side of town, is a long drive. I moved here from Atlanta, where you didnt judge drives by miles, but by hrs. it would take you to get across town. I would drive to Omaha, an hour away for dinner, and my co-workers would think I was nuts. I told them I drove an hour, to get to any where in Atlanta, so what was the difference. I think if you come with an open mind, every thing will work out fine. Remember, its not the place, but what you make of the place.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM

696 posts, read 1,727,437 times
The thing about the weather is to be ready. Check the weather in the the morning and be prepared. Take that extra time to layer on clothing or to pack extra chilled water/drinks.

Of course Nebraska has a reputation for the weather changing drastically in 5 minutes, but it doesn't happen that often.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM

19 posts, read 60,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASFMID View Post
VitruvianMan - Thanks for your insight - it helps hear that there are some Californians in Nebraska enjoying life. The climate data really helps too. You will think I am a wimp for sure when it comes to weather. I get cold very easily. But everyone is telling me that I will adapt eventually. My dad is from the east coast and he tells me it takes a full year for the body to adapt to weather changes.

I think I'l be fine overall but I'm just a little worried about Nebraskan's view of wimpy Californians like myself. I teach at university here and told my students that I was moving to Nebraska and they were all in complete shock, saying things like "Aren't there tornadoes hitting everyone there?" "Why do people live there?" "Only boring people live there" - these statements really made me realize even more how "soft" Californians are when it comes to anything outside of California. Anyways, thanks again!
Do your students think California is the paradigm of Western civilization or what? lol, oh I kid.

Yeah it will probably take you a year to adapt to the weather. It's weird and another poster pointed it out, but when it constantly is in the teens, 45 or even 35 will feel warm.

For example, this winter there was a week of below freezing highs and then a 3-4 day stretch when the high was above 50 and I wore shorts, sandals and a light jacket and was comfortable. Now this Summer when we get a week above 90 and then get a day down in the 50s and I will be in jeans and a jacket. You will hear yourself saying things like I never knew 50 could feel so warm and then reverse seasons and you will be saying I never knew 50 could feel so cold.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,011 times
While it's not California, one of my best friends is from NYC and likes it here in Lincoln just fine.

As long as you're open to the experience, I'm sure Lincoln will be a great place for you to live. Cost of living is reasonable, people are friendly, schools are great, there's a wide variety of restaurants, traffic is a breeze, there are lots of parks and crime is very low. Omaha is an hour away and has far more options for entertainment, dining and shopping. Lincoln is like the best of two worlds -- a small town feeling with the benefits of a bigger city.

Weather is probably going to be the biggest issue. I'm in my 30's, have lived in Nebraska my whole life and have only seen one tornado. While they're always a threat, they always seem to miss the big cities.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,198 times
OP--I think it would be helpful if you explained the reason WHY the people you know who moved back to California from Nebraska hated it and the midwest so much. It's hard to respond to "they just didn't like it" comments. If they missed the things available in a major US city, or the ocean, then there's not much that can be done--they wouldn't be happy anywhere else. What is it you're worried about specifically, and maybe we can answer more questions?

As far as cold--I'm a native Nebraskan, but I'd moved away and lived south for years. We moved back to raise our kids here, and even I thought I was going to die the first winter--it was a particularly cold one. After that, we were all acclimated again. I have 5 teenage boys--I have to fight with them to wear something besides just shorts and a hoodie to school in January--it's like they don't even feel the cold. The other posters are right--I've been known to hop in the car without a coat when it's in the 30's after a cold spell because it feels so warm outside--it's all in what you're used to. This winter was freakishly warm--it all depends on the year, but you WILL get used to it. The best part is that the weather changes so much. You'll have a few really cold days, and then it warms up again.

I've never lived in California (although we've visited many times) but I have lived in a number of other major cities around the country. I love the slower pace here, and the more affordable cost of living. Many people here are fairly well traveled--when you live in a quiet place it's fun to get out to see other parts of the world--but it's interesting how many of us come back to raise our families, and always call Nebraska home. It has that kind of pull on you--it's peaceful, calm, comfortable and well...it feels like a real home, and like you're part of a real community. When I was young I couldn't wait to get out and see the world--and I was lucky enough to see a big chunk of it--and now I can't imagine living and raising a family anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: