Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

My family and I may be moving to Kearney this year. Currently my wife works for the federal government in accounting. What is the job market like in Kearney for that field? We currently live in a northern suburb of Minneapolis and are very tired of the long commutes and big city living. Also, what is childcare like out there? I have a four year old who is in preschool full time. It's daycare/preschool. Does Kearney have childcare like that (not in-home)? I lived in Bellevue when I was single and in the Air Force about 17 years ago so I know Nebraska a bit. We're also very involved in our faith (we attend a non-denominational church), what is the Christian community like down there? Here we just go to church, AWANA during the week and that's about it. I'm hoping to find a church that would allow us to get to know people on a much deeper level. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 AM

475 posts, read 2,234,004 times
Kearney is a nice small town... and I'm sure you'd probably feel at home there, probably one of the few decent rural job markets in Nebraska as well... but have you considered a somewhat less drastic change from the big city? Omaha, has alot of the amenities you have in Minneapolis (retail, restaurants, entertainment, sporting and cultural events, some neat attrations)... yet, with a tiny fraction of the traffic you've probably become accustomed to in the twin cities. Most folks in Omaha don't spend more than 15 minutes getting to/from work (you may need to drive that kind of distance in a smaller town... just due to the more rural nature).

I don't want to take anything away from Kearney... I hope someone will come on and provide you the information you're lookig for. I just hope you've at least considered a more happy median between Minneapolis and a town like Kearney.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Thanks for your reply. We would move to Kearney for a potential job for me. It is nice to know the commute in Omaha as my current commute is 1 hour each way (and that is without picking up the kids). One thing I forgot to ask was the schools and how good they are for elementary. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:04 PM

(don't worry about MattDen, he has 'issues')

The public schools in Nebraska are excellent... and we have the property taxes to prove it! (well, and our kids consistently finish in the top 5 in the nation in ACT standardized testing, for example)... also lower than average student/teacher ratios. I like to think that you get what you paid for. On the other hand, if you want to send your children to a private school... you're not going to get anything back on your 'investment'.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
Hoosier67 greatschools.net is a great source for researching the schools in any area, it gives an overall score as well as individual grade test scores.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Hoosier 67 - My four kids went through the Nebraska school system, and I think it's one of the best! My youngest finished up his high school here in AZ and it was tough to find a school that offered math classes beyond what he'd already had as a sophomore in Nebraska.

As far as accounting jobs, that was my field when we lived in the Kearney area. As an experienced accountant, I would think your wife could get a job with a number of the larger CPA firms. There's also a demand for accountants that are willing to do auditing also.

I personally thought Kearney was a nice-sized town. Still small (25k-35k pop) but with some nice "city" amenities. If you're really looking to get out of the city I think you might like Kearney. My family had moved from Denver to rural Nebraska a number of years ago, and the lifestyle is so much more relaxed. You feel a part of the community and able to take time "to stop and smell the roses." I'd at least spend some time there and see what you think.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 32,861 times
Default Communting to work in Kearney

Actually the commute around Kearney is :15, Omaha is an average of :45.
Childcare/preschool is offered at a couple of different places. There are some in homes that are better (Montesorri types) than the 10 (usually ill) children to one teacher ratio with the HHD mandated economy rationed food. I am seeking childcare myself, as I will be opening my dream biz. shortly. Sugar and Spice & Little People's World come to mind for the daycare centers, however you might be interested in Sonshine World Daycare or call Family Life Skills in Kearney. As a Christian, I am leaning towards either of them for childcare. Both are Christian oriented and are nearby each other.
Kearney is a nice town! We look forward to gaining you as residents. If you would like a wonderful Realtor, Trevor Payne at NP Realty is an excellent choice. We had him sell our home/buy a new one last spring.
As for you wife's career. I suggest she runs for County Treasurer in three and a half years. I am not kidding. No one ever runs on any of the other tickets as not many think they could understand the job. It is always time for younger and new blood in government. Her chances would be excellent! Food for thought!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Omaha is an average of :45

Maybe if you commute from the 'bedroom community' of Waverly.

I live at 168th and Pacific... and it takes me all of 20-25 minutes to drive to my job in Papillion at 72nd north of Highway 370. It takes me no more than 25 minutes to drive all the way to the river.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,843 times
Default It all depends..

[SIZE=2]I live at 72nd and Cornhusker, and it takes me 30 minutes to get to work at 111th and Q. I'm assuming you take the interstate, because if you don't you must speed really badly.

It also depends on which time of day you're traveling in Omaha.
But I would agree with the 45 minutes average.
[/SIZE]

Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 AM

98 posts, read 394,859 times
No way, a 45 min. drive, seriously? I live in off of 75th & Pacific and get pretty much anywhere in the city in 20 min or so. I usually do not take interstate and am not a speed demon!!

This is so off subject from the original posters questions about Kearney, but I couldn't help but responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska