Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times

Advertisements

Like I said my hubby will be going there sometime in the next few weeks. He plans to get some heavy clothes while he is there. What is the best place to get good winter clothes at good prices? I have seen Cabela's website; the store looks awesome but it is probably high priced, or not? What do you all recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
First, the best time of the year to purchase winter gear in in mid-January to mid-February. That is when the retailers are trying to get rid of the winter gear so that they clear space for the spring merchandise. Kohl's usually starts the markdowns around January 10th and JC Penney's around January 24th.

Cabela's is not particularly expensive. I would definitely check it out.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 PM

370 posts, read 1,357,043 times
It depends on what you consider expensive, and what quality you want. I mean, you can get decent winter clothes at Wal-Mart. Target has slightly better stuff.

Or you can pay more and get Cabela's, Columbia, North Face, etc. I'm a tightwad, but I step up and buy nice outerwear from Columbia because it is quality stuff.

If you are looking more for "work" wear, look for Carhart stuff from Cabela's, Tractor Supply, The Mercantine, etc.

Buy it soon. We had to replace a winter coat for a kid once in mid-January, and all the winterwear stuff was already clearanced out of Wal-Mart, Target, Shopko, Sears, etc. Cabela's tends to keep winter stuff a little longer, but not much.

However, this is a perfect time to buy, since so much of it is discounted deeply as we go into the coldest time of the year!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Or you can pay more and get Cabela's, Columbia, North Face, etc. I'm a tightwad, but I step up and buy nice outerwear from Columbia because it is quality stuff.!
Same here. For the outerwear we will do quality; one seems to get what they pay for.

Good info. Thanks a lot! I think he will be doing some serious shopping.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
JC Penney has some selection for the Big and Tall area, one may want to also check Kohl's. I would agree that Columbia and North Face along with other things at Cabela's may be a little more expensive but woud be of better quality and more durable. Scheel's is similar to Cabela's in that they have some outerwear stuff and similar stuff, but I am not sure whether they have exteneded sizes, etc. but it would be good to check them out.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 PM

84 posts, read 405,783 times
I love Cabelas, but I have found better clothing deals at Bass Pro in Council Bluffs. Great markdowns can occur at both stores. Especially for dressier clothes, don't forget Burlington Coat Factory.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,072 times
Guess I am not catching just exactly where you are going? If you are after some decent work clothes for outside. Tractor Supply or Boomgars farm stores have some quality clothing and some good prices I always thought. But then again they have limited selection. Cabelas is good, got to admit if it doesn't come out of their bargain corner I usually don't buy there. I have to agree with Madpie on BassPro, I have picked up better bargains there also than what I have found at Cabela's.

Last edited by Sandhills Guru; 01-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Confirmed Magpies post

Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 PM

370 posts, read 1,357,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Same here. For the outerwear we will do quality; one seems to get what they pay for.

Good info. Thanks a lot! I think he will be doing some serious shopping.
I'm not sure what part of the state you plan to be in, but I also really like Dick's Sporting Goods or Scheels for some of that outerwear stuff. Sometimes they are cheaper than Cabela's. Omaha has Dick's, and Lincoln and Omaha both have Scheels. I live out west, and often visit Dick's Sporting Goods in Denver.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Sierratradingpost.com is another good website for outdoor clothing. Some of their clothes are dirt cheap; others are pretty expensive.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the info. He will be in Omaha and Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: