Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 AM

120 posts, read 383,286 times

Advertisements

Hello. We closed on a house recently in Lincoln and am posting in hopes some Lincoln residents can chime in with first hand experience regarding internet and television service in the area. In Denver we have a package with Comcast that works great, but they don't offer service in the area.

Television wise, seems like Time Warner is the only cable option around there? The other options being DISH and DirectTV? Anyone have any of these services who can share what the service is like? We typically opt for a package that includes all premium channels with some kind of DVR option.

And anyone have high speed internet service set up? A reliable high speed option is what I'm interested in hearing about as we work from home quite a bit.

In Denver we have a package with Comcast that works great, but they don't offer service in the area.

We're very excited to be moving to Lincoln and being part of such a great city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 AM

108 posts, read 284,630 times
Time Warner or Windstream Kinetic (IP-based, basically like U-Verse, FiOS or CenturyLink Prism).

Some surrounding areas like Waverly have Charter instead. However, now that Time Warner is being acquired by Charter, I would not be surprised if the systems get unified in the next several years. There are definitely going to be changes as a result of the merger/acquisition which will affect pricing and plans.

I have no experience with Kinetic. From my own personal experience and from relatives, Time Warner is neither terrible nor great. It usually works, it can be frustrating. For comparison one relative who moved from Denver to Lincoln said they preferred the Comcast set top box and functionality over Time Warner. Time Warner has also had a tendency to shuffle HD channel numbers around from time to time which can be confusing.

I used to do on-site tech support in Lincoln for clients, ending in 2013. At that time, I felt like neither Windstream nor Time Warner were great choices though Time Warner worked a lot better than Windstream. I used to subscribe to Windstream myself, but would not recommend it unless you are in an upgraded area that at minimum has fiber to the node. The legacy DSL is bad.

If I were in your position making the move to Lincoln, I would do Windstream if I were in an area where I could get 100+ Mbps, or else TWC for Internet. And then DirecTV for the TV service.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 PM

120 posts, read 383,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
...If I were in your position making the move to Lincoln, I would do Windstream if I were in an area where I could get 100+ Mbps, or else TWC for Internet. And then DirecTV for the TV service.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We're also coming from Denver and have been very happy with Comcast. We opted to go with DirecTV for TV and TWC for internet. Seemed to be the best option for our viewing/internet needs.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
Time Warner or Windstream Kinetic (IP-based, basically like U-Verse, FiOS or CenturyLink Prism).

Some surrounding areas like Waverly have Charter instead. However, now that Time Warner is being acquired by Charter, I would not be surprised if the systems get unified in the next several years. There are definitely going to be changes as a result of the merger/acquisition which will affect pricing and plans.

I have no experience with Kinetic. From my own personal experience and from relatives, Time Warner is neither terrible nor great. It usually works, it can be frustrating. For comparison one relative who moved from Denver to Lincoln said they preferred the Comcast set top box and functionality over Time Warner. Time Warner has also had a tendency to shuffle HD channel numbers around from time to time which can be confusing.

I used to do on-site tech support in Lincoln for clients, ending in 2013. At that time, I felt like neither Windstream nor Time Warner were great choices though Time Warner worked a lot better than Windstream. I used to subscribe to Windstream myself, but would not recommend it unless you are in an upgraded area that at minimum has fiber to the node. The legacy DSL is bad.

If I were in your position making the move to Lincoln, I would do Windstream if I were in an area where I could get 100+ Mbps, or else TWC for Internet. And then DirecTV for the TV service.

I have lived in Lincoln for close to 40 years, off and on. During that time I have had horrible experiences with phone, cable and Satellite services. The cable and satellite business seems to attract more and bigger liars and crooks than even Politics. Cell phones have taken over from Land Line phones so I don't have to deal with the Long Distance crap that was common in the past. In order of my hatred of these companies Windstream tops my list followed by Dish Network and TWC. I currently use TWC for my ISP and they have screwed up IMHO big time in the past but they are getting better. More competition by newcomers may tilt the market in favor of the consumer in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: