Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 AM

144 posts, read 597,227 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about a major crosscountry trip summer 2010, one place I am looking at is Great Basin National Park. I have a crossover with 8.1" clearance, has anyone been on the backroads to primative camping at Snake Creek and Strawberry Creek Roads in a 2WD? Is it doable? I drive on the dirt roads in my local national forest and have had no problems, although I turn around at huge sink holes and washed out areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,656 times
You should be ok, You can always back out, but, you should give it a try. Now! Do not use street tires, you will shred them. Carry a plug kit and a 12v compressor, carry a mtn bike. It is a lot easier to peddle out 30 miles than to walk out.

People die every year on Nevada backroads because they did not think.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM

414 posts, read 972,552 times
We do not have "dirt roads" in Nevada. Our roads are either paved or they are various sizes of rocks. Many of our roads go through small passes and canyons and you can not "drive around" holes and large rocks. If you are going off paved road I would seriously recommend you have all terrain tires on your vehicle, a tire plug kit, tire pump and a real spare tire the same size as your regular tires. I would also recommend against you going any distance off road in a two wheel drive vehicle. If you are going to try it, go with someone else so when you get stuck, they can pull you out.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM

I disagree, most dirt roads in Nevada are well graded and can be traveled at high speed. I have driven at 60 down Monitor Valley road and been passed by the UPS truck.

There are few roads that require 4x4.

Using 4x4 is a fairly new concept, but ranchers and miners have been driving all over this country in two drive for many decades. It is a rare thing to find deep potholes or rocks in a road, they are out there, but you won't find them.

I am almost never with another vehicle, just think.

I have hauled horse trailers all over Nevada for the past thirty years, if the road is dry, you are fine, if the road is wet, you don't need to go down it bad enough to go down it.

My wife grew up bouncing around in the back of two wheel drive trucks all over the state of Nevada.

Have fun, carry water (5 gallons)

In June a woman in a Jeep killed her kid and her dog getting stuck, 4x4.
In December a man in a Jeep killed himself getting stuck, 4x4.

Having the cool tools won't do you as much good as thinking about what you are doing.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM

144 posts, read 597,227 times
thanks for the replies, I am specifically asking about Snake Creek and Strawberry Creek in Great Basin National Park though and I am sure if the Park system says to be careful that means they probably have some pretty rough 4WD ONLY roads.

Has anyone here actually driven a 2WD on either of those roads?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM

The Park Service is actually the National Nanny Service, they will post danger signs if there is sheep doo doo in the road.

Just drive it, and if you don't like it, turn around.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,717 times
I have been up Snake Creek all the way to the end of the trail in my Jeep Liberty. I never had to use 4x4, never needed it. Very nice, secluded camping spot. I'm driving a 30-foot rental RV up there this weekend (no 4x4) and have no concerns, considering my prior experience.

I have never been up Strawberry Creek, but it's probably the same. Most Nevada BLM and NPS roads tend to be surprisingly well maintained. Don't let the 4WD ONLY scare you...I've seen peeps with Honda Civics driving these back roads. Your crossover will have NO problem.

Happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada