Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM

38 posts, read 424,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've heard of brand new Corvettes costing as much as $1500 to register. Zat true?

Our 2011 SUV was $562. Shudda stuck with my little old Saturn.
THANKS everyone for your help and answers!

BUZZ, if you dont mind me asking, how much was the registration for your "little old Saturn?" I will be driving 2 similar vehicles, both with MSRP of around $13,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,624 times
Make sure you do it ASAP. The penalties are very harsh... Pocket wise

Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0105 View Post
THANKS everyone for your help and answers!

BUZZ, if you dont mind me asking, how much was the registration for your "little old Saturn?" I will be driving 2 similar vehicles, both with MSRP of around $13,000.
MSRP is only the starting point -- the registration fees decrease with the age of the vehicle. After four years, they start to decline significantly.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
I have a 1999 SL2 Saturn - I paid $22k for it brand new off the lot - my registration fees are $60. Keep in mind, I'm in Nye County not Clark so it'll be interesting to see what Buzz's registration fees are

Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
It was a 2000 SL-1, with no frills. I no longer have it, but the last time I registered it was for 2011-12, and it was $97. I think Clark County might add some fees. I didn't look. I traded it to our house keeper for housekeeping, plus a designated clunker that I gave to charity for the deduction. A better deal for her than for us, but we had no need or space for three cars, and she's a lot happier driving it than the clunker. It was a little underpowered, but I really enjoyed driving it. Sorry they stopped making them. They're smarter than a Smart car. Better mileage, much cheaper to buy, way roomier inside, and plenty of room in the trunk. And they get you there faster and safer. Smart Cars aren't all that smart unless you live where there is never any room to park. Then you put it in your Al Gore backpack and take it inside or something.

I saw that in 2007-8 it was $108 to register.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
My 55 Willys was $49 here in Washoe. I wonder what the criteria is before it gets to this point?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
I have a 1999 SL2 Saturn - I paid $22k for it brand new off the lot - my registration fees are $60. Keep in mind, I'm in Nye County not Clark so it'll be interesting to see what Buzz's registration fees are
Playing around with the DMV online calculator, that $60 would be $67 in Clark County. However, a friend of ours just bought a new motorhome and paid $3,533 for their registration in Clark County. In Nye County, the registration for the exact same unit would have been $2,833 a savings of $700. It almost makes you want to move to Pahrump if you want to buy an expensive motorhome.

But if you can afford an "expensive" motorhome, then I guess $700 isn't a big deal.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
a savings of $700
That's a nice healthy trip to Costco!!

Also, Nye County doesn't require a smog check. So that $700 is just the tip of the iceburg. I know for a while, we had lots of Las Vegans coming out here, renting a PO Box & registering their vehicles. I'm not sure how popular the practice is these days, or if the DMV has found ways to crack down on such behaviors.....

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
That's a nice healthy trip to Costco!!

Also, Nye County doesn't require a smog check. So that $700 is just the tip of the iceburg. I know for a while, we had lots of Las Vegans coming out here, renting a PO Box & registering their vehicles. I'm not sure how popular the practice is these days, or if the DMV has found ways to crack down on such behaviors.....
I've heard that they have cracked down on that type of thing. On the application for vehicle registration, it asks for both a physical address and a mailing address. I believe that legally, a PO box is not considered a physical address (as nobody can live inside a PO box?). Plus, it also has a note on the application just before the signature line that says:

"NOTE: It is a gross misdemeanor to use a false or fictitious name or address in this application for registration, or to knowingly make a false statement or knowingly conceal a material fact or otherwise commit a fraud in this application."

However, there may be a legal way around that. For instance, many full-time RVers (those who live in their RVs and move about a lot), can use a mail forwarding service (several in Pahrump) and use that address as a physical address and their PMB as a mailing address. I know several who do this.

However, if you have a stick house you live in, say, in Vegas, and use a mail forwarding service in Pahrump just to save on vehicle registration, I'm not sure if you are actually saving that much ...or if it is in fact legal.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0105 View Post
My family who lives in Las Vegas, tried to tell me it was going to cost over $1000 EACH to have a car registered in Nevada for the first time.

Yet the link you provided shows it is only going to be around $100.

Which do I believe??? LOL...
It would have to be a very expensive car to cost a grand to register. I can see an expensive new car being registered for the first time running about that, but not what most of us drive. I drive an older Mercury Grand Marquis, and I just paid $95 to register it. Once you reach a certain point registration costs don't seem to come down anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada