Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,383 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to Las Vegas for 7 months and I believe I would be classified as a Seasonal Resident. I will not be working, just a Snow Bird. My current inspection sticker will expired when I am there. I was told by my state DMV I could ask for a courtesy inspection from the Nevada DMV. Has anyone ever heard of this or do I have to get a new license and new registration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Haven't done it here, but we have a vacation house in California where we leave a pickup. When the registration got close to expiring, we went to a local garage and they did the inspection. We got the certificate and mailed it in with the renewal notice and everything went smoothly, with no problems or questions. Might be good to ask your state to send you a list of their requirements so you can take it to the smog check place to show them what needs to be done to qualify in your state.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,383 times
I did call my state DMV. I cannot get an early inspection until Nov 1 and I will be in Nevada starting in September. I cannot find anything on line regarding a courtesy inspection.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:36 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times
Our cars are registered in NV and one of the kids has a vehicle out of state with her at college. NV law says they will waiver if the vehicle is out of state when the reg expires if you can prove why (in our case we submit her class schedule) and if smog is required in the county where the vehicle is currently "living" then we hve to go have it smoffed there. If smog is not required, then NV waives the smog check until it returns to NV. I think they will do it for 2-3 years in a row.

So you really need to dig around in your DMV site in the state where the car is registered. NV does not make it easy to find their waiver, really buried and every parent we've talked to with a kid away at college had never heard of this for NV residents.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
Nevada does not have "safety inspections", at least not that I know of. I've been in Nevada several times when my inspection expired, never got stopped for it (I doubt they even know what that sticker is), just got it re-inspected when I got back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada