Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,729 times

Advertisements

We are considering retiring to Minden or Gardnerville. Can anyone share your experience if you have lived here, did you leave in the winter? Did you find the people to be friendly? What do you like the most? Least?
Any thing else you would like to share would be helpful, our kids (4 and grandkids live in Ca) this would be a big move for us so we want all the information we can get.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Minden and Gardnerville are beautiful places. It sounds like you are retired so jobs probably don't impact you. Being smaller than Carson City and Reno there are far fewer jobs. We lived at the far end of Gradnerville in the Ranchos when we first moved here and we were renting.
We were young 20-somethings at the time and so we did not leave for the winter. Minden and G'ville will definitely get snow in the winter...they just had snow last night. But we moved here from the Midwest so winter is nothing spectacular to us.

What I liked the most was that it is probably the most picturesque valley in northern NV and most of the people are pretty friendly. It is easy to get around town since it's pretty small. What I liked least was that some of the "good 'ol boy" can show through. There are some families who have lived in the area for many generations and for a while they seemed to dominate everything in town. For example, they owned a fair number of the rentals and we were forewarned that no matter how well we took care of our townhome, no one ever got their deposit back. I tok pictures moving in and pictures moving out and, sure enough...no deposit back. There is a smaller pool of available jobs but I don't think that's a problem for you.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,729 times
Thanks so much, we have had trouble getting agents to return request for information, in general did not find perple to be overly friendly, still it is a beautiful Valley so I am not giving up.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 PM

152 posts, read 263,242 times
The Minden/Gardnerville area is beautiful! The nearby Genoa is another wonderful option.

I sent you a private message with my contact information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada