Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,718 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from Atlanta to Las Vegas in late June for his new job. Like many others --- we have fallen in love with Summerlin and have found ourselves a bit discouraged by some of the pricing and the small lot sizes. We are looking for a 6,000+ lot, updated home with 3-4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2,000-2,800 sq. feet. We’d prefer to have a pool and some grass, 3 car garage and a view of some sort – strip or mountain. Our budget is up to $400k (I’d prefer to spend 350k, hubby would prefer to push the budget.) Resale value is also a factor since we will probably be looking for a larger home in 7-10 years. We are looking for a family and pet friendly community that’s safe and near shopping/trails. We really like the Vistas/Paseos, but it’s become apparent we are looking for a needle in a haystack for a home there. We’ve found some more options in South Summerlin (the Mesas) as well as the older communities in North Summerlin (Arbors, Trails, Hills & Crossing). I’m trying to convenience my husband to broaden the search to Lone Mountain (bigger lots, lower prices) – he’s not so open to the idea.

Since we aren’t from the area, could y’all shed some light on the differences between West vs. South vs. North Summerlin? It seems like West & North are more convenient to Summerlin’s shopping/amenities…? Are there any pitfalls to the more established neighborhoods in North Summerlin? What are the drawbacks to Lone Mountain? Because of our pets, renting isn’t an option. House hunting trip is at the beginning of May. We have been assigned a realtor by the relocation company. I’d really appreciate some uncensored feedback about the areas from the locals. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
1. You posted in the wrong forum. Repost in the Las Vegas subforum rather than the Nevada forum.

2. Before you repost, please read MOVING (or considering moving) TO THE VEGAS VALLEY??? START HERE!

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 7,718 times
Oops - new at this. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 PM

243 posts, read 238,181 times
I lived in Centennial Hills 2005-2015 and your money will go further up there. The prices are soft compared to Summerlin. Just moved to RR CC in Summerlin which is a great change.

Centennial Hills/Lone Mountain is a confused traffic mess at the moment. After many years, the 215 Beltway upgrade from Lone Mountain to Centennial is finally starting which will give true freeway interchanges at Lone Mountain & Ann Roads. Both Ann and Lone Mountain will also be widened to seven lanes, three east, three west with a center turn lane.

Centennial Hills is also what I consider a "food desert" unless Walmart, Albertson's or Smith's with their plastic food is your preference.

A lot of huge truck traffic from the rock quarry, lots and lots of school buses from the CCSD bus barn has spoiled the quality of life. Looking at a lot of RE ads in 89149 and most are offering price cuts.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:23 AM

529 posts, read 512,340 times
I'm from Atlanta. The lot sizes are a huge shock. A small lot in Atlanta will be a massive one in Las Vegas. The difference is that you won't really know what to do with a 1/4 acre of rock.

I wouldn't pick Summerlin North because of its location and proximity to other less desirable older neighborhoods. If you can afford the Mesas, you will love it. Have you checked out the Gardens? That is probably in your price range. Willows West also is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada