Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 62,132 times

Advertisements

We are a small family of 3 and are relocating in 3 years. Our daughter will be in 3th grade going in to 4th when we move.We are going to be semi retired and are in education and law enforcement/ fire fighting so work is nice but not paramount. We are big skiers and looking for lots of skiing, sunshine, good schools, water nearby and to feel like part of a community. Cold is fine since we are used to Upstate New York winter. We are looking at lots of areas and decided against Zephyr Cove due to transient population and high home prices, but we keep coming back to it. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Well, let's see . . .

Zephyr Cove is in Douglas County, NV, along with Stateline. Stateline is the area with the hotels and tourist-type activities. It provides good tax revenue for the remainder of the county.

As you head north along the east side of the lake, you will pass through the part of Carson City (County) that reaches the lake. There's no real populated town-type areas in that stretch.

Then you'll enter into the part of Washoe County that reaches the lake. That's where Incline Village is located.

As you continue around the lake, you'll enter California. There are other little populated areas along the way.

Eventually, you'll reach South Lake Tahoe at the south end of the lake. It's in California and it's immediatley adjacent to Stateline, NV, where you began the tour.

Generally, any of these areas are not cheap. It seems that you've already discovered that issue.

Away from the lake, but still in close proximity, you will have some other towns. If you settle somewhere west of the lake, you will encounter more snow in the winter and you will be in California. I will leave it up to someone else with better knowledge of that area to fill you in with some suggestions.

What happens on that side of the lake and mountain range, is that the storms head in from the Pacific or come down from the northwest. They will dump most of their snow on the side of the Sierra that faces that direction, so you need to be prepared for that issue.

One of these towns will be Truckee, which is located along I80. It's generally north of Lake Tahoe. Lots of people like it there, it's forested and has easy access to the north end of Lake Tahoe, but it will get a lot of snow.

Another area that provides easy access to Lake Tahoe (15-20 minutes), but has less expensive housing than something like Zephyr Cove or Incline Village, is located in Douglas County. Again, that's the same county as Stateline and Zephyr Cove. The area is immediately at the bottom of the hill from the lake. It's to the east down Kingsbury Grade (NV 207).

The area includes the towns of Minden, Gardnerville, and the oldest community in the State of Nevada, Genoa. A benefit other than the price of housing includes the low tax status of the county, which is lower than Carson and Washoe (Reno/Incline Village) Counties.

This part of Dougals County will still get snow, but it's nothing like the snowfall on the lake or to the west and north side of the Sierra. Although we had a strange winter this year, with two seperate snowfalls of 8"-12" each time, the usual events amount to 2"-3" of snow maybe 6 different times throughout the winter. It's something that stays for a couple days and then it's gone.

BTW, the drive of 15-20 mintues to lake Tahoe from the Minden/Gardnerville area only takes that long because of the local speed limits. We're not talking interstate speeds here. Instead, it's anywhere from 25 mph in town to 45 or so on the rural roadways.

You'll also be driving on mountain roads for some of the way, just as you would anywhere around the lake, so that will limit your speed. I don't find it a problem because I find the roads in great shape. Instead, it's nice to slow down and enjoy the deer, birds, eagles, cattle ranches, and forests along the way.

A downside to the Minden/Gardnerville/Genoa area will remain the price of housing. Although it will be much less expensive than Zephyr Cove and Incline if you compare apples to apples, it will be more expensive than Carson City or Reno.

Each of these areas (Carson/Reno) will not be too far away from the lake, so they might be an option for you. However, a similar house in those areas will be a little less expensive than the same thing in Minden, et. al.

Don't get me wrong, you can find multi-million dollar houses in each of the areas. It won't be hard to find the upper-end neighborhoods anywhere in the counties. I'm speaking more of the average prices in the counties and what the same dollar will buy you in each of them.

I would definately encourage you to consider Minden, Gardnerville, and Genoa. You might find it to your liking for a nice place to live and still be within easy access of the lake and skiing. Be sure to check out the Minden town page on CD where I've posted a few pictures. Click here to get to the page.

I hope that's helped a little. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Oh, a couple last comments. I can attest that there's great community support for law enforcement/firefighters in the Dougals county area. There are a lot of retired folks from those lines of work living in the Minden/Gardnerville area.

I also happen to know that Douglas County Sherriff's Department and the Carson City Sheriff's Department are both hiring if that interest you at all. However, the pay is a little better over in Alpine County, which is the California county immediatley west of Douglas and south of Lake Tahoe. Alpine County happens to be the least populated county in the State of California.

The communities of Minden and Gardnerville are also small, but not isolated. They're far enough away from the bigger city (i.e., Reno) to not have the troubles of any big populated area, yet they're close enough to easily get to things you might need.

The communites offer wonderful events throughout the eyar, like a series of free concerts in Minden Park, and even free movies in Heritage Park (Gardnerville). Various events like "Candy Dance" are held in Genoa, an annual Chilli Cookoff in Minden, fundraisers for our new community playhouse, barn tours, and lots of other things. There's always something going on throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall, with a little less in the winter. Many of the events are outdoor activities. It's a wonderful place to call home and become a part of something special.

That's all I wanted to say, even if it sounds a little like a Chamber of Commerce commercial. If you have any specific questions about retired LEO's or related community organizations in the area, just DM me.

Last edited by garth; 03-10-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM

38 posts, read 144,541 times
People are moving out of Tahoe in droves. The schools are so bad that they send notices home every year to tell you that you can transfer your child to any other school due to the underachieving schools. The only problem with the transfer deal is that there is only one MS and one HS. The city keeps starting projects they cant afford to finish and filing BK. Gangs are becoming a problem at the only high school in town. This town seriously gouges in every aspect! Gas $3.69 here $3.19 Carson Valley area. Food... Forget it! Just for fun check Safeway websites for Tahoe weekly specials against any other area, You will get a better idea of what I am talking about with gouging. Three years from now... I dont think I will be living here anymore. You will be spending most of your shopping time in the valley as there is really no shopping here unless you only want souvenirs. Good luck to you on your move. Hopefully you can come help fix the local school system here, it needs all it can get. Oh and as far as the Law enforcement jobs, I believe there is a waiting list to work in Tahoe.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 PM

It should be noted, for those unfamiliar with the region, smiller4597 is in South Lake Tahoe. That's in California. Places like Zephyr Cove and Incline Village are in Nevada. It is quite a bit different and rather far from South Lake Tahoe if you're in Incline Village.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 17,313 times
Default we want to relocate to Tahoe area (nevada side)

I would like to know the cities there. We want the Nevada side. We don't know exactly where to start looking. What cities are residential and close enough to the lake itself. Can somebody suggest some cities?
Thanks

Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
For someone with kids, I would actually suggest the CA side.

That way the kids could get in-state tuition at the UC schools (which are mostly better than NV public universities).

Old 07-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Our kids are grown and we really want to get out of Caliornia. Also we want the simple life. Quieter surroundings. We moved here 20 years ago while it was a small town. Now it is just like LA. We want out!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Is there anybody who can tell me about some nice towns close to Lake Tahoe area in Nevada? The maps tell you the names, but I can't tell by the names what kind of towns and cities these are.
Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM

66 posts, read 417,511 times
Hello, "shellie from California"! Just stumbled onto your post while navigating the various postings elsewhere. Your situation sounds similar to ours. We lived for a few years in So. Lake Tahoe. Very laid-back existence (except the normal busy week-ends with tourists slowing traffic), but noticable gouging w/regards to gasoline, food, and most everything else. (Many Tahoe residents drive to Carson City for shopping).

Assuming (and accepting) all this, I might recommend the small town of Carson City. With the dismal economic conditions currently running rampant in most areas of the country, little Carson City has more than a few advantages. Being the capital of Nevada, law enforcement is more prevalent than one would normally find, for obvious reasons (state legislature, government buildings, etc.). So that helps greatly in reducing gang activities and virtually all other crimes.

Since Carson City is a small town, traffic congestion is not nearly as prevalent as one would find in, say, Las Vegas or Reno. You could almost say they "roll up the sidewalks after midnight" (meaning it's QUIET). A couple years ago, when the economy was still moving ahead, a host of companies built stores here (two Wal-Marts, Target, Circuit City, Best Buys, and so forth) shopping has become amazingly easy and, at times, even pleasant! Thus, virtually eliminating the need to drive to Reno (thirty minutes from CC) for "big time" shopping.

Also, and again due to the slow economy, there's LOTS of housing available! And the range covers everything from high-end homes to a vast assortment of condo's and apartments. Won't take long to find whatever you're seeking. And that's always a plus!

But perhaps the most attractive element to residing in Carson City is the close proximity to Lake Tahoe. A mere forty minute drive through stunning scenery...and you're there!! A great getaway for most of the year, especially summertime, when a ten degree difference greets you at Lake level.

I might also recommend the small towns of Minden, Gardnerville and Genoa (all these within thirty minutes of CC, as well). These towns also have a thirty minute route up the backside of the mountains to Tahoe. However, these are pricier towns to live in, though still plenty of choices.

By the way, if considering CC, look primarily on the west side of highway 395, as this is the "nice" part of town with many restored and elegant Victorian houses as well as the Governor's Mansion. All this in the historic district, with many gigantic old trees lining the streets and surprising amounts of wildlife still apparent (we currently have a black-tailed deer with two very cute twins "residing" in the vacant field adjacent to us).

The rest of CC is a hodge-podge of old and new housing, with pockets of annoying, obnoxious folks (gang members?) coming and going at all hours of the night. By and large, this factor is largely non-existant on the west side of town, next to the mountainside, thus more safe and desireable.

Good Luck, and hope this information helps you out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada