Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine hunts in NH and has always "checked in" at the local game station to help Fish and Game keep track of wildlife, etc. He happened to make an honest mistake and hunt on a day set aside for CHILDREN (I can't believe there is such a thing, are we all insane?).

Anyway, welcome to a big fine, over $130. For a totally honest mistake, since otherwise my relative wouldn't have brought the turkey in to the Fish and Game Station. There are a million regulations you can now mistakenly violate, even when you pay for a license and stamp that is specific to every particular period of time, species, gender, and location of game species.

There is no end to the over-regulation of every single move a citizen might make, all to justify hiring more government employees so that fines can be assessed for honest mistakes.

I heartily recommend that nobody who hunts in NH ever "check in" their catch again. We used to be a state that valued freedom. We are now all slaves to government.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM

264 posts, read 616,821 times
Something all those charged with enforcing the law should be trained on. The difference between the "spirit of the law" and the "letter of the law."

Inexperience and immaturity leads to more letter of the law types and less spirit of the law types. This is unfortunate but inevitable.

Isn't BIG government great?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
According to this, the YOUTH weekend was May 1-2. The general hunting season started May 3. Seems like your relative was fined for hunting out of season.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Rules can change so you need to read them every year to be sure...

Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
According to this, the YOUTH weekend was May 1-2. The general hunting season started May 3. Seems like your relative was fined for hunting out of season.
Nope. That's when it happened. The fine was just decided as they made him sweat it out as to whether they'd pull his license. But no fees unless you're paying the State and being scrutinized for the million varieties of regulation.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Nope. That's when it happened. The fine was just decided as they made him sweat it out as to whether they'd pull his license. But no fees unless you're paying the State and being scrutinized for the million varieties of regulation.
Not following. Are you saying he was fined for registering a turkey between May 3rd and 31st? Perhaps you can be more specific about your relative's infringement before encouraging folks to break the law by not registering their bag within 24hrs.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Fined for hunting on a day reserved solely for youth hunters. What's so hard to understand? What more specifics do you need; I said this in the first posts.

Some people can't let an informational post go by without criticizing the poster. Never seems to matter when they're proven wrong.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Your last posts were concerning an unfounded conspiracy over a NH F&G property. The hunter was in violation according to your own statement as he apparently did not satify the requirement of being a Youth.

What other regulations and hunting basics did he ignore?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
A relative of mine hunts in NH and has always "checked in" at the local game station to help Fish and Game keep track of wildlife, etc. He happened to make an honest mistake and hunt on a day set aside for CHILDREN (I can't believe there is such a thing, are we all insane?).

Anyway, welcome to a big fine, over $130. For a totally honest mistake, since otherwise my relative wouldn't have brought the turkey in to the Fish and Game Station. There are a million regulations you can now mistakenly violate, even when you pay for a license and stamp that is specific to every particular period of time, species, gender, and location of game species.

There is no end to the over-regulation of every single move a citizen might make, all to justify hiring more government employees so that fines can be assessed for honest mistakes.

I heartily recommend that nobody who hunts in NH ever "check in" their catch again. We used to be a state that valued freedom. We are now all slaves to government.
It is the responsibility of the hunter to know the season dates and regulations!

Looks pretty clear to me:
Hunting Dates and Seasons - N.H. Fish and Game

Old 07-17-2010, 04:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Fined for hunting on a day reserved solely for youth hunters. What's so hard to understand? What more specifics do you need; I said this in the first posts.

Some people can't let an informational post go by without criticizing the poster. Never seems to matter when they're proven wrong.
Informational post? You are suggesting people disregard the law because of the consequences your relative faced for hunting out of season! You in fact are encouraging unlawful behavior. I'd hardly call that an "informational post".

The faliure to abide by season dates and hunting regulations gives hunters a bad name. Wildgame checks help fish & game agents keep track of game populations and densities from county to county. Season dates and regualtions exist for a reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire