Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,995 times

Advertisements

Any good info is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
It is a nice town with very well regarded schools. It has a wooded semi-suburban and semi-rural feel to it while being very close to Concord as well as a short drive to Manchester. Property taxes are EXTREMELY high. Even small raised ranches and splits run over 6K in taxes.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
People used to move from Concord to Bow to escape the crazy taxes. I guess that may no longer be the case. But it is a nice bedroom community with quite a few beautiful homes. Most of my family has resided there at one time or another and I've never heard any real complaints. You're right next to Concord, I-89, I-93 and Manchester is 20 minutes away and still, there is some space between neighbors. Not bad at all. If I ever move back to NH, Bow is one town I'd give some serious consideration.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:20 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
^
Bow has a tax rate of 22 per thousand. Thus, an average colonial house has taxes between 6-7K which is extremely spendy. Houses with views and small acerage (not enough for current use status) can have even higher taxes (assesment builds in view amount). I have seen house(s) on Putney and Audley Divide for sale with taxes in the 10-14K range, but they were large.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
There are usually strings attached.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,995 times
What do you mean by that?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 PM

71 posts, read 172,215 times
The school is good b/c of the community, not because the teachers/administration are better than anywhere else. There is no town center unless you count the bandstand or the community center.
For your taxes, you get better snow plowing than nearby towns and an excellent library with great parking and activities for all ages.
It's a good place to raise a family safely, but if I were to do it over again, I would have liked my kids in a larger high school with better teachers teaching real classes instead of team combined social science/english classes, better course selections, less emphasis on sports and more emphasis on academics for all students.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
You mentioned its a good place to raise your family safely. Are the surrounding lower taxed suburbs of Concord not as safe as Bow? If so, which should be avoided when raising a family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymcb View Post
The school is good b/c of the community, not because the teachers/administration are better than anywhere else. There is no town center unless you count the bandstand or the community center.
For your taxes, you get better snow plowing than nearby towns and an excellent library with great parking and activities for all ages.
It's a good place to raise a family safely, but if I were to do it over again, I would have liked my kids in a larger high school with better teachers teaching real classes instead of team combined social science/english classes, better course selections, less emphasis on sports and more emphasis on academics for all students.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 AM

71 posts, read 172,215 times
Hadn't considered how that would sound, "raise a family safely" when compared to other areas of the country. By saying that, I would mean that there are no gangs, we watch out for each other and call when we see strange cars in the middle of the day at neighbors' homes when they aren't there.
There can be bullying and the "Queen B want to bees" that can be tough for kids, but by high school these kids aren't so influential.
Compared to some neighborhoods in Nashua or Manchester, Bow is safer. Overall, I love New Hampshire and the quality of life here.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
"some strings attached" Bows come with strings. That was a pun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire