Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 21,998 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 2 dogs and I are relocating to the NE.
My husband got an amazing job at Allagash Brewing in Portland, ME.
I am an architect and sent out my resume to about 50 firms in Portland and Boston. So far I have had a great response from Boston, lined up some interviews and have one job offer. I only got one response from Portland, and I prefer to work in a large city. So if we are to live in between and each have about an hour commute, which would be the best city near an Amtrak station? My husband would drive, I would train. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
I don't believe there is a train in Portsmouth NH which is more or less central to both places. I don't think there is a train from Portland to Boston either. I think the end of the line in that corridor is in Newbury Mass, maybe Newburyport Mass. Public transportation is more in a city sort of thing around here, kinda unlike a lot of other places. You will need a car to just get to the train, unless you live right in a town, and many smaller towns don't have a bus service, and cabs are pretty limited as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM

24 posts, read 40,195 times
Hi Rusty, I think the train runs from Portland to Boston but on a limited schedule, it appears to stop in Portsmouth as well. Here is the link, hope it helps!
Oh, from North Station, you can pick up the subways.

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

There is also a bus that goes into Boston from Portsmouth.

Last edited by Yac; 07-04-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Oops... I didn't know that.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
You might consider sending your resume to some of the architectural firms in Portsmouth and consider living there or Dover. These are the 2 'largest' cities on the seacoast of New Hampshire. I think your best bet in NH would be Portsmouth, which the Downeaster does NOT go through, but it does go through Dover. You might also consider Exeter, but it's not a 'large' city by any stretch of the imagination. If you would consider living in MA, I would suggest Newburyport or perhaps Amesbury. Newburyport is on the water, and has a great downtown with lots to explore. Since it doesn't sound like kids are in the picture, you might consider Haverhill as well. It's a larger city than either Newburyport or Amesbury, great highway access, and right on the NH border. I'm originally from MA, and know all of these places very well. And congratulations on the great job in Portland--Old Port is a GREAT place to explore!!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,807 times
Cool Downeaster Amtrak

I would say live near one of the towns the Amtrak Downeaster goes through that way you can get to Boston and Portland

or live around Portsmouth or even Kittery ME, (you could go on the Downeaster to Boston) and drive up to Portland..

Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Check out the AMTRAK routes between the cities. I would look very seriously at Exeter as equally inconvenient to both cities. As one of you is an architect (small or big buildings?) I suggest you cover the entire Maine Coast from Bath south to Kittery. That is where the money lives.

Ideally you would both get jobs in Portland and cut you commuting time to zip.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
It ain't gonna happen. The distances are too great. Someone is going to have to give in. If the Portland, Maine job is primary then get a place near Portland. You may have to take a job out of your field. Or freelance.

Or get a studio apartment in Boston and go home to Portland on weekends.

The distances are too great.

I have communted years two hours each way. It is agonizing. Another job 1.5 hours each way. Again agonizing. The potential to ruin your relationship is large.

And do you plan on renting a place with two dogs? Landlords are pretty skittish about renting to people with dogs. Look up the Carol Roland case.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 PM

14 posts, read 21,512 times
I would say Exeter is your best bet. I live in Exeter and my husband works in Portland, ME. It takes him 1.25 hours to get to work each day. The downeaster (amtrak) is located right here in town and his a 5 minute walk from my house. It goes directly from Exeter to Boston each day with one stop in Newburyport. Taking the amtrak into Boston will take you 1 hour. It is a little costly but you don't have to pay for gas or parking in the city or deal with the commuter traffic so it is worth it.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM

178 posts, read 583,138 times
I lived in Dover, and I think that is a great central pretty area. It's close to hiking and UNH, and to the beach.
However, I would suggest adding up the difference your husband would have to pay for gas each day to Portland, and you for the train to Boston, and then wait and try to get a job in Portland! Honestly! Portland is a great area to live and work in. (I had my daughter up there!)

And what a mess that would be for taxes!!!! Living in NH, which is tax free, working in Mass and Maine????

Good luck! Love all those areas!

Also, if you have 2 children, I would feel better IMOP, having at least one parent with in no more than 1/2 an hour away for emergencies/school/sick pickups/ etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire