Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Little Niagra is a hot fishing hole....I spend lots of time there.
Yeah. Thats a special area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 PM

137 posts, read 384,438 times
Yes, we are finding out most of the jobs are in the southern part of the state, which we pretty much already knew from our research.

Keene looks like an awesome town but we haven't gotten there yet.
It's definitely on our list though.

Thanks,

Leisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I live in SD and have researched NH alot for retirement and visited there many times. I would think you'd need to stay in the Manchester/Nashua/So NH area as far as jobs that would pay pretty well. As I'm sure you're finding out, NH is beautiful but very rural. Most pockets of population would be in So NH, Dartmouth College area, maybe Keene? Coming from SoCal, I think you'll ultimately feel more at home in So NH/Seacoast areas. I mean, it's great to be out in the country, but from a job standpoint, it probably would be difficult. It's going to start getting cold there pretty soon, I hope you're prepared I'll be very interested to follow your journey in your new home!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 13,231 times
Wow! San Diego to New Hampshire, eh? What's it feel like to be in a way less densely populated part of the country with nary a palm tree in sight?
I visited friends who moved out there and swore it was the best place on the planet. My take on it was "nice to visit, couldn't live there".

Have you considered Wilton at all? Nice funky lil' hippie town west of Milford. A private school or two there. Bet housing prices are cheaper...I ride through there on my motorcycle.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm sure I'll eventually miss palm trees but I can always go south.....I grew up in Florida so I can go there.......
and I absolutely love the less density!!

Yes San Diego is a lovely place to visit but I couldn't live there anymore. It's a young persons town and I have way outgrown that!!

Haven't checked out Wilton yet but then if I wanted a little hippie town, I could have gone to Oregon or Seattle! haha.
We did check out Milford and loved it!

Our kids are in college and still in CA for now.......so schools aren't a concern for us anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Leisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaAus View Post
Wow! San Diego to New Hampshire, eh? What's it feel like to be in a way less densely populated part of the country with nary a palm tree in sight?
I visited friends who moved out there and swore it was the best place on the planet. My take on it was "nice to visit, couldn't live there".

Have you considered Wilton at all? Nice funky lil' hippie town west of Milford. A private school or two there. Bet housing prices are cheaper...I ride through there on my motorcycle.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 PM

52 posts, read 100,678 times
Take it from someone who moved to San Diego from New Hampshire, stay south. All around Manchester or even Concord to the border of Mass is where all the jobs are.

I don't blame you for moving. I myself am 24 and though I'm young, I don't care about the party lifestlye. New Hampshire is probably the best place to be on earth (in my eyes). I can't wait to just finish my time in this dump and move back up there (hopefully July).

Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM

264 posts, read 616,821 times
It's going to be interesting to follow your story. I am 6-years behind you until I can finally see California in the rear-view mirror.

I still work in North San Diego County until then.

Here is a contrast for you. While it was snowing there, it was 94 at my house yesterday. Just one more reason, of hundreds, I cant wait to get out of here!

God Luck!

Captjob

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
You must have gotten your first "snowfall" with the storm that came through....how did you like it? I have to admit Halloween seems a bit early for that much snow...

Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
Yes, we are finding out most of the jobs are in the southern part of the state, which we pretty much already knew from our research.

Keene looks like an awesome town but we haven't gotten there yet.
It's definitely on our list though.

Thanks,

Leisa
Keep a VERY open mind when u visit keene and pay special attention to the residents... I won't revisit old threads that I wrote (altho some might direct you) but if you are coming from a bigger town and are used to it western NH is NOT for you.. I'd stick coastal. My husband and I did an 11 month stint in Keene and couldn't get out fast enough to move back to Fla.. We are however looking into Dover which looks like a great city and heard great things. I should have known when I kept getting asked "Why are you moving to Keene" by its own residents something was up.. Ever heard people say its a nice place to visit but I could never live there.. described it perfectly.. Look up Keene NH on youtube. Thats the vibe you'll feel, or at least I felt most of the time there. I guess it doesn't help my husband was a cop and so he was the target of most of the issues in that town but nonetheless I wouldn't want my daughter growing up there now.

As far as jobs go in Keene, well good luck.. All the college kids suck up the jobs mostly and its not a large town at all (it is by NH standards) but its Keene to shop local! So most of the shops are family owned they've fought hard to keep big names out and built a target on the very outskirts of town but for the most part any high paying jobs are specialty like lawyer doctor or private business owner. The rest are pizza shops , food stores and one Mcdonalds one Taco Bell and one KFC.

Sorry don't wanna be a debby downer and I do recommend you check it out for sure because to each his own and you might find it wonderful but if you're used to all the luxuries of stores and a mall (the closest is an hour away without snow ) you might find it VERY hard to acclimate. Plus they have the free staters (no offense to anyone!) Keene is constantly in the news for social disruption I guess u could call it and protests and women walking down the street topless and pot smoking in the central square to **** off the police is like a weekly occurance. Oh plus the guy who set himself on fire like 100 feet from the school on Main Street a few months back ugh WHAT was he thnking!?!. ahh crap I went there when I said I wouldn't SORRY SORRY! Okay I'm gonna shut up.. my advice try more coastal like some previous posters said I think that far out in the middle of nowhere Keene you're gonna be bored after about a month esp in winter when the town shuts down and you can't get to other towns very easily being so secluded. Coastal might be a touch more expensive (keene has some of the highest property taxes in the state) but you get what u pay for and you won't be the "big city outsider folk" .. Oh god don't kill me fellow forum-ers.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 11-01-2011 at 06:18 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM

57 posts, read 90,418 times
Have to know also. Did you enjoy your first storm?? Get ready for many more. Oh and that humidity is a killer too.

I love the state it self, but the cold and irratic weather has got to me. It's also very expensive to live here. And unless you are employed in mass, pay is not great either. Dont loose your job in NH you will sink fast.

I would have stayed on west coast and found cheaper state to live in.

It is beautifull in fall but I know the mess that is comming. Then all the money spent in summer for good looking yard. Then goes to crap in three months. Never mind cleaning drive and cars at 5am to get to work in a 35mph commute to work on a highway.

Sorry not a downer. Lots love our landscape, but don't visit enough.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Wow - Keene - yeah doesn't sound so appealing.
thanks for your insights.

We haven't had a storm yet, with thunder and lightning.

The snow was awesome! Loved it!
Still have a bit of it on the ground in spots.

Living here so far has been cheaper than San Diego, rent, and food.......no water bill.
Elec is cheaper........so we'll see how that works out when we actually buy something next year but for now, it is much cheaper than San Diego!

Thanks everyone!!

Leisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire