Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,453 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are dying to move to Seacoast NH. New Castle area or somewhere nearby. We own our own hardwood flooring business and would like some input on whether or not it would be a good move for us to relocate. We are in Hilton Head now and would really just love to be somewhere with four seasons. Schools down here are getting over crowded. It's so bad the kids are having to be put in trailers b/c there is no more room in classrooms. New Hampshire is where I want to be. Please let me know if there is a big market up there for what we have to offer. And the right people to get in touch with. Anybody up there need some hardwood floors? ;-) THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather27 View Post
My husband and I are dying to move to Seacoast NH. New Castle area or somewhere nearby. We own our own hardwood flooring business and would like some input on whether or not it would be a good move for us to relocate. We are in Hilton Head now and would really just love to be somewhere with four seasons. Schools down here are getting over crowded. It's so bad the kids are having to be put in trailers b/c there is no more room in classrooms. New Hampshire is where I want to be. Please let me know if there is a big market up there for what we have to offer. And the right people to get in touch with. Anybody up there need some hardwood floors? ;-) THANKS!

I don't know if there is a market for hardwood floors, but I do know there are a lot of housing developments going up. I would try to look at the taxes on small business owners, which I assume you are. I have always heard that business taxes are high. Compared to what I don't know. Personal taxes are low compared to most of the country. Maybe a NH business owner could shed some light on this for you.

Good luck,

Nicole

Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Well New Hampshire also has some towns that they are using trailers for classrooms as well due to overcrowding. Seems to me taxpayers just dont want to spend the money to expand schools until its too late. The baby boomers are all grown up, kids are out of school and they vote more than any demographic. They are not interested in schools.

With the local demographics, I think hardwood floors would be in demand. But I dont know much about that business. I bought my hardwood floor in my kitchen from Home Depot so I duno. There is also Lumber Liquidators nearby.

You must be really rich if your looking at New Castle. Homes in that town start at $800,000. If people in that town are that rich, I wonder if they even use the local school system. Something tells me they go to private schools.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
It seems to me that everyone is re-doing their houses with hardwood floors (I did!). You shouldn't have any problem, but there might be stiff competition. If you know what you are doing and maybe score some sub-contract work for a reputable builder, you'll do fine. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 AM

132 posts, read 350,797 times
I'll re-post a link that Suzet posted in another topic that is very useful for someone that wants to start a business in NH. NH Business Resource Center Hope that helps.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I imagine that schools must be getting over-crowded down there. Seems like so many people on this forum are leaving New England and heading south to warmer climates of NC and SC. Yup, we do have 4 seasons, it'll take you some time to get used to winter that goes from November to May... (I'll post about that later on) Hard wood floors are on everyone's "to do" list it seems. All 3 of my most recent closings, the Buyer's had or will be having hard-wood flooring installed before furniture is moved in. So yes,there is a market, but of course you'll need a niche, price-wise you are competing against Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Of course once you are a "local" and start offering outstanding service, and good price, word travels!!

New Castle is a BEAUTIFUL area, as are most New Hampshire towns on the coast. Portsmouth would be a great market area, Rye, etc. Are schools a consideration for you? You mentioned the over-crowding problem, but wasn't sure if it affected your family directly. Please let me know if I can help in any way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather27 View Post

Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleybell00 View Post
I'll re-post a link that Suzet posted in another topic that is very useful for someone that wants to start a business in NH. NH Business Resource Center Hope that helps.
Hey dont be jackin my post!! Hahaha j/k And 2 of the homes we are looking at have hardwood flooring, I love it!! I think there will always be a "need" for it. It seems to be what everyone is doing. On all the HGTV shows I watch, they all put in hardwood floors in atleast one room of their home.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM

69 posts, read 324,741 times
Default Hardwood floors

:Most of all the new homes that I'd worked in has hardwood floors. I've done enough floors to make you sick, LOL. My back and knees are hurting now just thinking about it.

Jer

Old 09-01-2007, 06:54 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Default hardwood first thing

Had a closing yesterday for a listing that I had in Pelham. On the walkthrough just before, the buyers told me that they're not moving furniture in till next week, after the hardwood floors are installed throughout the 1st floor (except the kitchen). Yes, hardwood is becoming (once again) the flooring of choice, along with some of the exotics (bamboo, etc)

Heather, one thing you might consider is making up some coupons for Realtors to pass along to their buyers or sellers. My folks are getting 10% off their flooring with the coupon, this keeps their business to the local flooring store and not to dreaded Home Depot. My name and logo is on the coupon, so the flooring store knows who is sending them business as well, and they take very good care of my clients, earn more referral business, etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:55 PM

38 posts, read 131,944 times
Maybe someone here can answer a question for me, about hardwood flooring.
My daughter has hardwood in her hallway, dinning room/living room.....every step you take makes a squeaky noise......house was built in the late 50's.
What can be done to correct this problem?? She had the floors resanded and stained, they look great, but, they sound terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire