Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting New England in May. We have a commitment on the Maine Coast one weekend and another in Southwest Vermont at the end of the following week. In the days between, we'd like to take our time moving through New Hampshire and Vermont.

Does anyone have any ideas for destinations in New Hampshire for a young couple who love the outdoors, B&Bs, and good food? We'd probably like to go no farther north than, say, Lake Winnipesaukee, on account of our limited time frame. Any must-sees or must-dos that come to mind?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
It's a shame you can't go north of Lake Winnipesaukee, as this is where the White Mountains lie - by far the most impressive mountains in New England and a fantastic place for outdoor activities. Depending on which part of the Maine coast you're coming from, you might want to re-evaluate your decision to avoid this part of the state, as it might not really add that much time to your driving itinerary. It's easy to get to southern VT via I-91.

Anyway, excluding the White Mountains, I would suggest the Lakes Region and the Monadnock Region. Wolfeboro and Meredith are really the two major towns on Lake Winnipesaukee (aside from the more tacky and commercialized Weirs Beach), and there are numerous B&Bs in the vicinity of both. Good restaurants in both towns as well. Slightly further afield, the Squam Lake area (i.e. Sandwich, Holderness) is less commercial and more off-the-beaten path. What kind of outdoor activities are you interested in? If you enjoy hiking, I could recommend a few spots.

Keene is the heart of the Monadnock Region, but there are a lot of small, charming villages in this region and numerous B&Bs to choose from (Peterborough, Walpole, Hancock, Harrisville...). This is definitely a less touristy part of NH, which is great. Lots of restaurants in Keene.

Another option is Portsmouth, right on the coast. If you have a chance to visit, even just to pass through, I highly recommend it. It's my favorite city in NH and easily the best for history and architecture, and great for food.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM

This is fantastic input. We'll be in Bar Harbor, and were thinking of making our way along the Maine coast, then cutting west, but if you really think the White Mountains are worth it, we could reevaluate that plan.

We are big fans of hiking, biking, and, weather permitting, kayaking. We'll get plenty of the touristy feel in BH, so we're looking for authentic (and authentically beautiful) spots.

If we do opt for the southerly route, we'll give Portsmouth a look! It's a great suggestion. My wife was born in western Mass, but moved when she was in grade school, so she has plenty of memories of New England, but not a ton of recent recommendations. We've talked to her family friends about the region, but they know more about southern NE than the northern stretch, so we welcome and value all input.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Is Strawberry Banke open then? It's in Portsmouth, right near ME, you could hit it on the way out. It's an historic community. the buildings have all been moved to that location and restored to whatever their time period was; some are basic log cabins that display info on something, some are rennovated houses, some are trade buildings (like the blacksmith). and Portsmouth is nice to run around.

For that matter, in Portsmouth, my mother used to take us on a day trip with a picnic lunch out to Star Island and we run around out on the rocks and annoy the sea gulls, and then take the ferry back. Or.. it's probably the wrong season, but you can get whale watching trips out of Portsmouth as well.

When you're heading out to VT, you could take a day in Jaffrey and hike up Mt Monadnock. Second to Mt Fuji it's the most popularly climbed mountain in the world.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Just some random idea of places to stop:

Pickity Place in Mason for lunch
Currier Museum of Art in Manchester
Hike Mount Monadnock
Peterborough, NH

Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
This is fantastic input. We'll be in Bar Harbor, and were thinking of making our way along the Maine coast, then cutting west, but if you really think the White Mountains are worth it, we could reevaluate that plan.
Well, the best part of the Maine coast by far is north of Bath. Everything from the Portland area and south, IMO, is a lot less beautiful and more crowded. So if you stopped around Bath and then headed west, you really wouldn't be going out of your way at all. Do you already have specific places in mind along the Maine coast you want to see?

You can hike in other parts of NH, to be sure, but the White Mountains are bar none. Some of the easier but highly rewarding hikes include Mt. Willard and Arethusa Falls. The Flume Gorge is also worth the entrance fee IMO. Driving through Franconia Notch and along the Kancamagus Highway is always great. If the weather is clear, the drive to the top of Mt. Washington along the Auto Road provides incredible views. If you want "authentic" then I would probably avoid staying in North Conway, but there are other towns that definitely fit that bill (Franconia/Sugar Hill, Bethlehem, Jackson...).

I just realized that you'll be coming in May. What part of the month? It may not be worth going to the mountains if you'll be here early in the month, as a lot of the greenery doesn't come out until later on. Also, if you're going to hike then be prepared for muddy trails and bring some powerful insect repellent to ward off the pesky black flies.

If you opt for the Lakes Region instead (which is a better choice for kayaking), then there are a few hiking options. Mt. Major in Alton provides the best view of Lake Winnipesaukee and can be a moderately easy or challenging hike depending on which trail you take, but it's almost always crowded. Although May before Memorial Day weekend might not be bad at all. Rattlesnake Mtn. in Holderness is a short, easy hike with a very rewarding panorama of Squam Lake at the summit. Across the street from the Rattlesnake trailhead, the Morgan-Percival loop is my favorite hike in the Lakes Region; a bit longer hike, but equally stunning views and really fun, especially if you take the cave trail on the way down Mt. Percival.

My favorite bike trail in the Lakes Region is the rail trail that begins at the old train station in Wolfeboro and goes along the shores of Lake Wentworth. Beautiful spot.

I don't know the Monadnock Region as well as the Lakes Region, but as Wanna pointed out, Mt. Monadnock is one of the most hiked mountains in the world. On a very clear day, you can actually make out the Boston skyline some 65 miles away. I think there are 3 separate rail trails that converge in Keene and traverse the region.

I almost think it would make more sense to stop in Portsmouth before your journey up the Maine coast (assuming you'll be coming up from Boston?), time permitting. The ferry ride out to Star Island is a fantastic idea if you have that much time.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 AM

More great feedback! We'll be coming in mid-May, and will fly into Bangor and back out of Manchester, so it's a one-way excursion for us across the region.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM

369 posts, read 964,652 times
You can hike up or drive up to the top of Pack Monadnock at Miller State Park and hike up to the top of Monadnock Mtn from the State Park or from several trailheads depending on how steep a trail you want.

I'd also recommend Rhododendron State Park as a quickie stop when it's in bloom.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Definatly go further north in NH. Picham notch , franconia notch ect. Take 302 west from the maine coast to bear notch rd. Then right onto the kang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire