Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM

38 posts, read 77,015 times

Advertisements

I'm native to NH and considering moving me and my business up to the North Country.

I've lived through some of the bigger weather events in NH, and to say that I'm extremely unhappy with the way the loss of the electricity has been handled during these events, is an understatement.

I am, for my next home and for my business, considering the use of alternative energy to produce heat/electric/hot water and not have to rely on the power companies at all.

Is this feasible or practical in the North Country? Are there other factors I should be looking at?

Any assistance is, as always, appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,020,654 times
Well, what do you plan to use for "alternative energy"?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
I would suggest collecting solar heat as well as installing a veggie oil fired low speed diesel co-gen setup for electricity and more heat. Solar electric, unless you only want to run a electric clock, is way to expensive for the energy collected.

As always and anywhere seal and insulate the structure before installing solar. In a very well insulated house a small wood/coal stove may actually be enough to heat the place.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:31 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,071,921 times
A lot really depends on your specific location and property features.

If you have a clear view of the southern sky solar hot water would be doable during the spring/summer/fall- it could have issues in the winter and you'd need to keep it clear.

Likewise you could also do solar power, it's pricey for the power generated- especially this far north, but again- an option- at least an option for a supplement.

Wind really depends as well- if you're in an east/west valley or on a hill it could be a good choice- there are maps online showing average wind speed- likewise you can also do a wind-speed study to see if it would be economically worth it.

Lastly if you have a constant water source with enough flow and head micro-hydro is a choice- you can generate a good bit of power with surprisingly little water as long as that water is falling a great enough distance. Up north freezing in winter would cut it off- but it could be an economical/effective power source for fall/spring/summer.

I want to echo what Greg had said as well- the most cost effective thing you can do is make sure your house is well insulated and that you have energy conserving appliances and lighting to begin with. Usually the best alternative energy source is a hybrid system of solar, wind, and a fuel-sipping diesel generator charging a battery bank. None of this is inexpensive though except getting your home more efficient itself.

As for power outages...your best bet is a tight home, a small wood stove, and gas range.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,675,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madamex1968 View Post
I'm extremely unhappy with the way the loss of the electricity has been handled during these events, is an understatement.
I can see your discouraged but there is no need to move.... get a generator.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,071,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I can see your discouraged but there is no need to move.... get a generator.
Even better point! You can install a fuel-sipping diesel generator fairly easily as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Check out Central Maine Diesel for their low speed diesel co-gen set up. Electricity and hot water using an alternate fuel.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
A lot really depends on your specific location and property features.

If you have a clear view of the southern sky solar hot water would be doable during the spring/summer/fall- it could have issues in the winter and you'd need to keep it clear.

Likewise you could also do solar power, it's pricey for the power generated- especially this far north, but again- an option- at least an option for a supplement.

Wind really depends as well- if you're in an east/west valley or on a hill it could be a good choice- there are maps online showing average wind speed- likewise you can also do a wind-speed study to see if it would be economically worth it.

Lastly if you have a constant water source with enough flow and head micro-hydro is a choice- you can generate a good bit of power with surprisingly little water as long as that water is falling a great enough distance. Up north freezing in winter would cut it off- but it could be an economical/effective power source for fall/spring/summer.

I want to echo what Greg had said as well- the most cost effective thing you can do is make sure your house is well insulated and that you have energy conserving appliances and lighting to begin with. Usually the best alternative energy source is a hybrid system of solar, wind, and a fuel-sipping diesel generator charging a battery bank. None of this is inexpensive though except getting your home more efficient itself.

As for power outages...your best bet is a tight home, a small wood stove, and gas range.

In thee winter one can wrap copper tubing around the stovepipe for hot water. We used to do it like that at a camp in Stewartstown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire