Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times

Advertisements

Which city would you prefer to live and why? I have a telecommuting job and can live in either. These are my 2 favorite New England small cities. I like the no state tax in NH. I think VT is overall a prettier state, but both are pretty. Portsmouth is closer to Boston, beaches which is good. Burlington closer to mountains, Montreal and right on Lake Champlain.

Thoughts? Thanks your your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 PM

40 posts, read 114,528 times
I've lived in both places. VT can feel a bit isolated in the winter, and winters are harsher there than on the coast. You're lucky to be able to telecommute. Both have great food & music. Burlington is more of a college town than Ports. Both have expensive real estate, Portsmouth more so I think. The politics are very different, VT is very liberal. The Burlington airport almost always has a connector in NY or DC, but from Logan in Boston you can often fly direct. If I had to choose, I'd choose Portsmouth because of the ocean & close proximity to white mtns. But I would be more than thrilled to live in either place.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:18 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
Thanks sfchick. I would also likely be going to a warmer climate Jan to May so winters would be less of an issue. But I'm not a snowbird retiree, I'm 42 years old. So I'd be living there from May to January. I'm probably leaning towards Portsmouth because it's closer to more activity. But I think overall VT is the prettiest New England state. There is something about the rolling green mountains and back country roads there. Politically I'm more in the center, but I don't VT's politics wouldn't bother me. I have to admit the VT countryside is aesthetically so beautiful without the billboards and the cookie cutter sprawl.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM

93 posts, read 167,265 times
Personally I don't like being isolated, living in Burlington there really isn't much anywhere close by without driving hours to get there. I don't speak French so driving to Montreal wouldn't be ideal either. However in Portsmouth you are close to Boston, Portland, and many other large east coast cities.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks sfchick. I would also likely be going to a warmer climate Jan to May so winters would be less of an issue. But I'm not a snowbird retiree, I'm 42 years old. So I'd be living there from May to January. I'm probably leaning towards Portsmouth because it's closer to more activity. But I think overall VT is the prettiest New England state. There is something about the rolling green mountains and back country roads there. Politically I'm more in the center, but I don't VT's politics wouldn't bother me. I have to admit the VT countryside is aesthetically so beautiful without the billboards and the cookie cutter sprawl.
I used to think that until i moved to NH and did some exploration, NH is as scenic...
My vote is Portsmouth, and i know Burlington well. Psmith is less isolated and i like being close to thevseacoast

Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post

Vermont is also financially poorer and more burdensome tax wise

Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Vermont is also financially poorer and more burdensome tax wise
Found this comparison interesting
State Taxes: Vermont vs. New Hampshire - BusinessWeek

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
Personally I don't like being isolated, living in Burlington there really isn't much anywhere close by without driving hours to get there. I don't speak French so driving to Montreal wouldn't be ideal either. However in Portsmouth you are close to Boston, Portland, and many other large east coast cities.
Speaking French is not a requirement for driving to or in Montreal.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Speaking French is not a requirement for driving to or in Montreal.

It is if you are stopped by the Montreal Police. French is the official language and police officers are required to speak french.
Caveat: Unless the laws have changed in the last 5 years.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
But back to Vermont versus New Hampshire.

Both have their beautiful spots and both have their declined old mill communities.

If you like MSNBC you will like Vermont.
If you like Fox News you will like New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire