Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM

18 posts, read 41,657 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the offer Pauloman. We may head up there to check it out in September and I may take you up on it. Also, thanks to minibrings. I've heard that getting the stock Rubi tires (32" BFGoodrich Mud Terrains) siped does wonders for packed snow and ice.

Here are some other questions if anyone has the answers handy:

Who is the main Internet Service Provider? Is it Cable, FIOS, DSL? Are there dominant providers depending on the area of NH? What does monthly service typically run?

What are your current gas prices for a gallon of Regular Unleaded?

How warm does it get in the summer on the beach? Does the water tend to stay cold year around like the West coast? Is it possible to surf out there or are you risking getting thrashed against the rocks? Are there any seals or other large shark snacks on/around the coast of NH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiff View Post
Thanks for the offer Pauloman. We may head up there to check it out in September and I may take you up on it. Also, thanks to minibrings. I've heard that getting the stock Rubi tires (32" BFGoodrich Mud Terrains) siped does wonders for packed snow and ice.

Here are some other questions if anyone has the answers handy:

Who is the main Internet Service Provider? Is it Cable, FIOS, DSL? Are there dominant providers depending on the area of NH? What does monthly service typically run?

What are your current gas prices for a gallon of Regular Unleaded?

How warm does it get in the summer on the beach? Does the water tend to stay cold year around like the West coast? Is it possible to surf out there or are you risking getting thrashed against the rocks? Are there any seals or other large shark snacks on/around the coast of NH?
I have a Tundra 4x4 with good all seasons, I also don't put winter tires on, get by just fine, even for those trips up to Pittsburg, would i like a nice set of winter tires, yep, is it absolutely necessary, no, may be if you have a rear wheel drive car vehicle though.

ISP varies from town to town, but in Bow we have comcast. in know the town next door doesnt have comcast, everyone there has a dish. comcast for internet is about 50$ for high speed cable.

Gas is averaging 3.30 right now for regular, although it seems to be dropping fast, i saw it for 3.19 at one gas station over the weekend.

the water at the beach stays cooler for sure, i bet the ocean rarely gets above 65 up here, if that, but i was in lake winnisquam this weekend and the water was 76-80 degrees and not just at the surface. not bad for june! I do see people surfing all the time at the ocean, i think you just need to pick a good location that doesnt have rocks, i think wet suits are very common.

here is a good chart i found on average ocean temperatures for NH and Maine, as you go south into MA/CT/RI, the water will obviously get warmer. And that may not be a bad drive if your used to driving all over Texas.

http://www.currentresults.com/Oceans...emperature.php

Last edited by chris410; 06-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: ocean temps

Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the follow-up Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
In Bow we have comcast. in know the town next door doesnt have comcast, everyone there has a dish. comcast for internet is about 50$ for high speed cable.
Comcast is the ONLY cable provider here in Houston. I pay about $65/mo. for their "Blast" internet service. About 30 mbps speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Gas is averaging 3.30 right now for regular, although it seems to be dropping fast, i saw it for 3.19 at one gas station over the weekend.
In retrospect, that was a dumb question on my part, being that gas prices are so volatile, they'd probably change by the time I make it up there to visit. Thanks for the snapshot though!

Good stuff! Thanks a ton!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
I have comcast and pay $150 for phone tv and internet.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiff View Post
Good day everyone,

My better half and I are considering a move to New Hampshire in the next couple of years. However, while trying to locate some specific information, I have yet to come across any tax information to compare to my current situation. I looked at a 2006 report for tax break-down, but wasn't sure what the numbers represented. Is it true that some areas approach 30%?

I know that taxes are relative to the area of New Hampshire that you choose. My current tax situation is:

No Income Tax
8.25% Sales Tax
About $5,000/year in property/MUD taxes on a 1900 sq/ft home.

With regard to the change in climate, I feel fairly confident that we'll be able to handle it. I've lived in other states and did quite a bit of training in Washington, Alaska and Germany when in the military. My wife on the other hand, has lived in Houston all her life and will probably get the largest shock.

Our annual cooling and heating costs (Electric A/C, Gas Heat/Cooking) clock in around $4,000. A wood-burning stove and heating oil will be a new factor for us but, I gather that the warmer months don't really require aggressive air conditioning like they do here.

I (40 yrs-old) work in the process automation industry (software), but am also disciplined in audio/video design and interactive authoring. These fields would allow me to telecommute, provided I have reliable internet access. My wife (31 yrs-old) works at NASA, but could apply her skills across a wide variety of positions. We have a 12 year-old daughter who would be starting high school around that time.

We like the prospect of living in New Hampshire due to its wilderness and weather (camping/hiking/off-roading), its political climate (we prefer to be "left alone" by a limited government) and its historical nature.

I'd love to hear thoughts from residents and people who have relocated there from similar areas to mine.

Thank you!

(Also... what's up with all the lyme disease posts???)
Moving from Houston myself in '96 to Northern NH, the only difference is lack of sales tax. If you take into account air conditioning versus heating? It's neck and neck for most. The only difference is that you can always put on more clothes/blankets to keep warm and not so easy in escaping stifling heat/humidity. Property taxes are similar as is everything else. And yes, you do acclimate. I used to freeze with the a/c at 70 in Houston but I can shovel snow in shorts at below zero. The lack of crime and peace of mind was worth every bit to me.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Doh! The political climate doesn't seem as appealing in light of recent events... what a shame.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
In NH there are deer ticks which are very small, and not so common as the wood tick. There is no evidence wood ticks carry lymes.

The one deer tick I have seen in NY came off a dead fox I removed from Rt 107 in the area of Moultonboro. I deal in fur sometimes.

I know of a woman in Parsonfield Maine who was probably bitten by a deer tick, since I saw the red ring around the bite myself. She was told to see a doctor.

Once you get lymes you can not get rid of it. You can make it be dormant. My little brother was one of the very first people to get this disease long ago and after being misdiagnosed for the first couple years and then getting it right, for him it became life limiting and he passed away a week shy of turning 40 in 1998. More or less directly due to this disease.

So the disease is a serious business, BUT he didn't get it here. He contracted this camping on Crane's Bch in Ipswich Ma..

NH is no longer really NH. There are more people from 'Away' here now than there is locals. Mostly from mass.... So to live here you would be dealing with people who are from Mass, more than the conservs who are from NH.

The rest on taxes is ho hum, to me..... You pay them, and when you can't you move on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire