Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,045,908 times

Advertisements

I spent a week vacation running around WA - from Seattle out to wherever that big rodeo is held in the desert. It's a beautiful state, and we had commented that if we needed to relocate and couldn't move back to NH that WA was a possibility - it felt like I could be happy there.

It's great that you are able to realize that NH is just a little too different from what you want and have the grace to realize that it's wrong to try to turn one place into a copy of another. Sometimes one needs to live elsewhere to finally appreciate home (took me 15 years to realize that and 35 years to get back, but I made it!). I hope you have an easy move back and enjoy your lovely state. besides, you can always come back here for vacations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
OP - good luck. From an old show - "Live Long and Prosper"

Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 PM

259 posts, read 602,238 times
I can understand your decision. The northeast is really different than the Pacific northwest. :-) I lived in Portland (OR, not ME) for three years and my hubby for nearly 20. We really love the PNW. Jobs have taken us to many different areas, but when he retires in six years, we're heading back to PNW. I really like NH a lot, and I'm glad we get to have the experience of living here. But, as a Colorado native (lived there for 48 years total) and what will end up being 10 years in NH, I'm sick of the cold winters and the snow. I actually love the rainy, overcast PNW winters. :-)

I think it's always a good idea to try living in different areas of the county (and overseas, if you can). It's too easy to develop an insular attitude when you live in one small area your entire life. So I applaud you for your NH adventure and wish you the best of luck back in WA.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:40 PM

88 posts, read 252,029 times
MJ5150,

We have friends in WA that jokingly tell us we should move there. While, that would be a move cross country for us and I would not like making the move then regretting it, we have always enjoyed the East Coast and have been focusing our relocation to NH. We have no ties where we are and want to be somewhere new. What attracts us to NH is the variety of topography and outdoor activities, we like the close proximity to the ocean and metropolitan areas while have tons of nature. A small family farm would be nice, we like seafood, and we like the political views of the state. We have not been there for a winter but are used to cold without snow...actually a white winter would be a welcome as we would like to take in winter outdoor activities.

So, since you have the experience of both places, and without creating issues in this post as you said you didn't want to do, can you give me a quick list of comparisons of the Northeast (NH) and Northwest (WA). We have never had the chance to visit our friends yet....a little pricey right now since we are saving to move. This is my virtual exploring so to speak.

By the way, best of luck to you on your move!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 PM

489 posts, read 965,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbnv View Post
So, since you have the experience of both places, and without creating issues in this post as you said you didn't want to do, can you give me a quick list of comparisons of the Northeast (NH) and Northwest (WA). We have never had the chance to visit our friends yet....a little pricey right now since we are saving to move. This is my virtual exploring so to speak.
Well, from a visitors perspective......
Amazingly beautiful natural scenery in both places. NH has the leaves, WA has the Columbia River Gorge.
Not as cold in WA, but wetter. Both get about the same heat in the summer, with very little humidity in WA.
Outdoor activity options are abundant in both.
WA has taller mountains, NH has more lakes.
NH has more snowmobiling, WA has windsurfing and you can ski/snowboard on all natural snow into June.
Close to salt water and accompanying activities. NH has haddock/lobster, WA has salmon/crab.
American history tracing back to the origin of this country in NH, more modern technology and infrastructure in WA.
NH has hurricanes, WA has earthquakes.

-Mike

Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 AM

88 posts, read 252,029 times
Thanks Mike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire