Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 AM

21 posts, read 32,224 times

Advertisements

Figure out a way to incorporate a pool. When I moved here from Chicago, pretty much all gyms in the area had a pool. Not so here, and I can't figure out why. It seems that only the YMCA or Hampshire Hills (pricey) are the only gyms with that feature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,149,058 times
The Executive has a beautiful pool. The Workout Club has pools.

There are a couple hundred gyms and fitness places in and around the city, but clubs with pools are not as common.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 32,224 times
Not the same thing. You're still sharing the pool with swim teams and such, and the hours for open swim are limited as a result. The place I went to in Chicago had an olympic sized pool with about 5 lanes, and there was always at least 2 or 3 lanes open for lap swim, regardless of the time of day that you were there. Not only that, but there were several hot tubs for winding down after your workout. Open 24 hours a day. All that for only $40/month. Finding a place like that in Southern NH is all but impossible.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crw15213 View Post
Not the same thing. You're still sharing the pool with swim teams and such, and the hours for open swim are limited as a result. The place I went to in Chicago had an olympic sized pool with about 5 lanes, and there was always at least 2 or 3 lanes open for lap swim, regardless of the time of day that you were there. Not only that, but there were several hot tubs for winding down after your workout. Open 24 hours a day. All that for only $40/month. Finding a place like that in Southern NH is all but impossible.

I agree, I dont know why there isnt a club like an LA fitness in southern NH. They have clubs in smaller cities elsewhere. I would love to join a club like that. Hell I pay 20$ a month for black card at PF and for the most part it does what I need it to, but on the same hand 10$ more for an LA fitness would totally be worth it.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:08 AM

15 posts, read 27,889 times
Hey guys thanks so much for all the responses! We thought about a franchise but in no way does that really go along with our dream. Our gym is going to be very personal and revolve around each and every members personal fitness goals. We will have a full gym along with a full martial arts room. Me and my buddy have spent years training muay Thai, jiu jitsu and boxing and have a few guys with lots of experience teaching those interested.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM

830 posts, read 1,542,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Funny, we were just talking last night about the differences in fitness centers in southern NH, and how the 'one size fits all' gyms seem to offer a wide variety of options--multiple locations, plenty of cardio machines (stair masters, treadmills, elipticals, etc), spinning rooms, a large room area for the step class/aerobics junkies, and of course child care. The problem is that they when you offer everything, you tend not to do any one thing well. They might offer yoga-type classes, but instructors are working right along with the class, they are speaking instructions but not walking around the classroom to help beginners with positioning, breathing etc. as you would find in a yoga studio. Same with cardio-kickbox type classes--I see people over extending (since they're not hitting a bag) then wondering why elbows and knees are hurting! I can't even imagine attempting something like a Cross-Fit class in this type of environment.

I've often wondered if there would be a market in southern NH for the type of gym that I belonged to when we lived in Massachusetts, which had indoor/outdoor pools, tennis, racketball, etc. (google Cedardale in Haverhill/Ward Hill, MA for more info).
This is called a YMCA! No, I know what you're saying... growing up we went to a racquet and fitness center, but the YMCA is the closest I've found. There are also some independent places like Laconia Athletic and Swim Club. It's funny, when I first moved to NH I was looking for a regular old gym without an emphasis on power lifting, similar to the Boston Sports Club I'd used in Cambridge. Independent weight lifting gyms seemed to be most of the market! (This was right before the huge explosion of Planet Fitness, which I did join, but didn't like. It was overcrowded and I felt low-quality compared to the BSC. But, at $20 a month it cost about 1/4 the price.) I now have quite a bit of fitness equipment at home but was looking for a gym with a pool, which I agree is hard to find. The Y in Concord is like the 6th oldest YMCA in the country, and it kind of shows... but the place grew on me. It's really friendly and they have pretty extensive facilities and a great array of classes. New YMCAs in affluent areas are downright luxurious.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,213,342 times
you know what id like to see? a gym with dodgeball tournaments

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire