Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM

152 posts, read 134,551 times

Advertisements

I was in your boat a year ago and I finally got a job here in Andover, MA and was able to move my family to NH. I am a Computer programmer so I landed a pretty good job. I luck out and count my blessings.

At the time I was in Minnesota. I was looking at the upstate NY areas like Albany, Syracuse, Rochester areas. It is cheaper then NE and doable. There is a lot of jobs and you are closer. I was going to gradually move my way up to NH. It might be an option for you. Even some part of PA are nice. You still get the four seasons, mountains, hills and such. It is not NH but they are still nice areas and you are close to Connecticut.

FYI, it is really hard to get a job in NH. If I were you I would try to be happy with where you're at a the moment because you might be there for a while. I think that you and/or your wife needs to get a career going either through a degree or job. Something like FedEx, UPS, Postal Office or a government job that you can get a transfer might be another option.

It is going to take a lot of hard work, planning, and persistence. Stay positive!

Where there's a will there's a way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM

74 posts, read 278,124 times
I guess it even more planning lol. NE, did you mean New England? I usually see NE and think Nebraska. The problem is is that we tried for 7 years to be happy where we are and it still hasn't happened yet. If anything its been 7 years of misery. To be honest moving to Idaho was the biggest mistake I ever made. We need to move ASAP while we have some money. There is something about this area that can sense if you have any extra money. Then something always comes up (that doesn't when you're broke) that you end up having to use the money for instead of being able to save it or use it for something useful.

The lease is up this summer and we're out of here. Up here the only jobs that are worth having and pay well and have benefits is if you work for the city or the state. Unless you're an elected official or a Deputy the county doesn't pay very well.

On another note what are some of the better regions, ie Lakes, White Mountains, etc?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:48 PM

The weird part is when we were planning our move and looking at MT or ID there was more information out there to research.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:26 PM

176 posts, read 298,886 times
I think what everyone is gently trying to tell you is that you probably need to bite the bullet and plan for a stay in CT where you have family support. NH will have just as many issues for you, just as many things will "pop up" needing a substantial chunk of change to be put right again, and it sounds like you guys don't have much in the way of savings if it does go wrong for you.
You have two paths now, swallow pride and build a nest egg so you have a chance at your dream situation, or jump right in with a high probability you'll be stuck in another miserable situation. Look around here at some of the people who jumped right in and ended up in a broken house with no help and a lot of headaches.
NH is friendly, sure, but if you lived here before, you should remember we don't have much patience for people who don't do for themselves.
You CAN make your move, but you need to do some serious thinking about what you're willing to give up, and what you need to do to get what you want. You shouldn't be asking "how do I move here", right now, but " how do I get a job here", and "how much do I need to save". Make contacts with that gentleman who's a forester, find what you need for a job, rent a small place while you save, and accept that you may need to take the dogs to a park for a year or two so you can get that dream situation.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 PM

That's why I'm asking how to get there. I'm being broad meaning jobs, rents, etc. The dog is one thing that creates an obstacle. I need to be able to just let him out if my wife is shopping. I can't leave a 5 year old and a 1 year old inside by themselves. If its raining or extremely cold it's going to be an issue. The CT thing is its a family summer cottage that is shared by my family, my two uncles, and numerous cousins. It has electricity and some cell phone reception. There isn't room to stay at any other relatives houses. I can't get exclusive use of it. Then there's the fact that with some of the so called new laws in CT if I move there I become a felon because of some of my possessions. They aren't an issue in a free state. So its not as clear cut or simple as some may think.

At least I'm not looking to be near museums, the theater, or other stuff like that.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
We need to move ASAP while we have some money. There is something about this area that can sense if you have any extra money. Then something always comes up (that doesn't when you're broke) that you end up having to use the money for instead of being able to save it or use it for something useful.
You can say the same thing about anywhere!!! Life is full of unexpected expenses. This last winter in NH was much colder and snowier than ever. Had you moved here last fall, you'd have been suffering from higher than normal heating bills and more difficulty in getting to work (from the snowfall). In our house, we had one burst water pipe, the electric out in our 2nd floor and last week, my boyfriend had to operate the sump pump manually. Three months ago, a neighbor's pine tree toppled onto a section of our fence and we're still waiting for him to reimburse us for the repair. NH is no different from where you are in Idaho in regards to sudden emergency expenditures.
Quote:
The lease is up this summer and we're out of here. Up here the only jobs that are worth having and pay well and have benefits is if you work for the city or the state. Unless you're an elected official or a Deputy the county doesn't pay very well.

On another note what are some of the better regions, ie Lakes, White Mountains, etc?
And the same goes for NH. The further up north you go, the fewer the well paying jobs. Everyone in southern NH commutes down to the metro Boston area for work. My town's property tax assessor lives up north, and tells me that he travels 45 minutes to get to work. He told me that there are many people who have to work south of where they live in order to make ends meet.

So how do you figure that NH is any different? What kind of decent paying jobs do you expect up in the lakes and White Mountain areas? Don't you think that the longtime locals don't already have the "in" for those jobs? If you peruse craigslist, you will see that the only jobs now in those Lake region areas like Wolfeboro are seasonal (summertime). So what on earth will you do for income the rest of the year when the tourists and summer vacationers go back down south? And if the area is significantly inexpensive to live in, you will be compromising on the education of your children. Also, where is your wife going to find work in her field as a medical billing and coder? Other residents of the Lakes area are rich, like the Romneys, so they don't have to worry about finding a job.

And I've noticed some listings for park ranger jobs, but again it's only seasonal work for the summertime when the tourists are about.

So start off by moving to CT first and have patience. It might help if you and your wife write down a five year plan with sensible and achievable financial and career goals.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:49 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
If you don't have your heart absolutely set on northern NH and judging by your requirements, my suggestion would be to head over to the Pittsburgh, PA forum (http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsburgh/) and post your questions there. In greater Pittsburgh you will find cheap house rentals and lots of jobs. Since you've been involved with gas wells, the area southwest of Pittsbugh in Greene County is begging for gas field workers. The topography is not as spectacular as NH, but if you've seen the movie "The Deer Hunter," which was filmed there, you have an idea of what it's like. Good luck in any case.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
That's why I'm asking how to get there. I'm being broad meaning jobs, rents, etc. The dog is one thing that creates an obstacle. I need to be able to just let him out if my wife is shopping. I can't leave a 5 year old and a 1 year old inside by themselves. If its raining or extremely cold it's going to be an issue.
How long are your wife's shopping trips? So you have two dogs? A 5 year old and a 1 year old? So crate train them. Our labs are fine for about six hours plus on their own in the house. We also have two extra large dog crates we use on occasion. They mostly just sleep in our bed while we are out. And if it's raining or extremely cold outside, we bundle up and go out with the dogs. Aren't you an outdoor person?

Shopping shouldn't take your wife that many hours, especially if you are on a tight budget. Shouldn't you be more concerned about what to do with the dogs if your wife is working full time as a medical coder and biller? And as for that, the two of you can find employment where you and your wife have different work hours.

BTW if you've been unhappy for a long time in Idaho, why on earth would you get a second dog? It's hard enough finding a rental with one dog, let alone having a second dog, and a young one at that.

Quote:
The CT thing is its a family summer cottage that is shared by my family, my two uncles, and numerous cousins. It has electricity and some cell phone reception. There isn't room to stay at any other relatives houses. I can't get exclusive use of it. Then there's the fact that with some of the so called new laws in CT if I move there I become a felon because of some of my possessions. They aren't an issue in a free state. So its not as clear cut or simple as some may think.

At least I'm not looking to be near museums, the theater, or other stuff like that.
Well about your gun collection, unless they are important family heirlooms, think seriously about selling them in Idaho to help fund your relocation. You can always buy replacement firearms later on.

So again, think about your priorities and what is most important to you. Clearly at this point in time, you can't have everything you want. Compromises and patience are necessary for success in meeting your life's goals. IMO your desire to keep your gun collection and having a fenced in yard for your dogs are being big obstacles to moving to the East Coast.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Default Guns and Dogs

Yeah, sell the guns - the money will help with your move. And with a 1yr and 5yr old in the house, I sure hope you have them locked up (the guns, not the kids).

As to dogs, I currently live in a ground unit condo. I have a tie-out line in the back for the dog. Sometimes I put her out alone, sometimes I hook her up and stand out there with her. I also walk her each day on a leash. It's good exercise for me. So you see, you can do it without a fenced yard.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:21 AM
miu

BTW remington79, how old are you and your wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire