Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM

31 posts, read 55,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I'm curious where in Chicagoland you're from. I've lived in NH plus the west 'burbs near the I-88 tech corridor.

Don't kid yourself, jobs are the much much bigger issue than property taxes. In NH the property tax is THE tax. If you want to complain about taxes (and who doesn't?), that's what you're going to complain about. Sure there's rooms and meals, but as a local you're not going to be hoteling or possibly even dining out enough to feel it.

Compared to IL where you have income tax, sales tax, etc. etc. depending on your income the overall NH net state tax will very likely be in your favor. The property tax on a $500k home in Concord is less than I pay in state income tax in OR, and I don't make anywhere near enough salary to afford a $500k home.

Utils are an issue, as is the cost of housing for purchase or rent. But again, the core issue moving to NH is that it's hard to find good-paying work. The higher cost of housing isn't because jobs are plentiful and pay well, it's all the people who buy houses there who aren't actually working in NH (Boston commuters, second homes, etc.).

Honestly, while it's less romantic, you might just want to consider moving a few hundred feet north to the west-side of Milwaukee (say, Waukesha-Oconomowoc, etc.). You'll be closer to the friends you have, it gives you access to a better job market than most of NH, and it's more rural than where you probably are now. And it's a much cheaper/shorter move, so if it goes sour, you won't have wasted much.
I've thought about Indiana. Lot's of people are going that way. Wisconsin is nice - I've thought about the Upper Peninsula (actually Michigan)---

I live in the Rogers Park area of Chicago. The very most north neighborhood before you get to Evanston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:20 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepa View Post
Winters are very cold here. Below freezing for most of it and lot's of snow.
Based on the 'wicked cold and snowy' I think they were at least partially making a joke.

The winter climate is comparable on the whole, but you'll see some variation based on where you're looking specifically. For example, Chicago Jan high/low will be within a few degrees of Manchester, with roughly similar snowfall. But I would say the wind in Chicago feels a bit stiffer coming off the prairie.

If you were looking at Hanover or Berlin, though, that's going to relatively more severe.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:29 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,686,587 times
Lightbulb New Hampshire winters are slightly longer than Chicago, but comparable

I used to live in Chicago (walking distance from Evanston, then worked in Madison, Wisconsin for a while, and eventually moved to New Hampshire. I agree that you might want to try out rural Indiana or Wisconsin for a while rather than just making a jump to New Hampshire immediately.

That said, New Hampshire welcomes tourists, is a nice place to visit in late summer/early fall.

Quote:
Where do I go. I'd like an old farm house with a little land. Would like to be as self sufficient as possible. Growing my own vegetables, some chickens etc.,---. I'll need to work and would like to be within an hour of a decent size town/city.
You certainly can do that here, but cost of living here is significant, and there just aren't very many decent sized towns or cities in New Hampshire with job openings. You won't have sky-high electric bills in the summer like in Chicago, but winter heating bills are higher in NH.

I made a list of states (counties, really) that met my requirements (basically the opposite of Chicago/Illinois -- no income tax, no democratic machine politics, limited government, less corruption/crime/congestion), then found a job in one of the areas that met my requirements, and only then did I move out of the Midwest.

Quote:
I don't drink - so actually would dilute the figures shown by one. I don't care if others drink. But did not know this info. I bet Wisconsin ranks pretty high. (?).
Wisconsin is a hard drinking state. New Hampshire might sell more beer, but Wisconsinites consume more in-state, much of NH's sales are at border stores for "export".

Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 88,544 times
Quote:
I've thought about Indiana. Lot's of people are going that way. Wisconsin is nice - I've thought about the Upper Peninsula (actually Michigan)---

I live in the Rogers Park area of Chicago. The very most north neighborhood before you get to Evanston.

Funny, I was going to suggest Indiana. I've been casting around for a nice place to settle down and NH seemed like a great place, but their property taxes are outrageous and I would probably end up working in Boston so my income would be taxed by Massachusetts - a serious double whammy that makes NH much less attractive.

Indiana, however, rates pretty high on the mercatus freedom map, the housing seems very reasonable, the job market is decent (at least around Indianapolis) and you can always visit Chicago if you want to see them flip on the Michigan Ave Christmas lights or just hang out for a weekend.

Plus, I think fireworks are legal in Indiana (don't quote me on this) but I do love a good bottle rocket

Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 PM

571 posts, read 1,320,018 times
If you wish to check us out, consider staying in an "extended stay" hotel. They are in Nashua, Manchester and I'm sure in Concord. Stay a week or two or three driving around with maps and GPS.
I don't think it'll take too long before you find that New Hampshire is indeed a special place.
Check out Wikipedia on the State legislature and look up the Free State Project's own web site listing of what they say is special about NH.
As for farms, the Nashua Telegraph recently ran an article about the increase in small farms in NH lately. They don't always make money, but some are just for self-sufficiency and they sell some produce on the side. Some of my friends have horses and also raise less than a dozen chickens at a time - too many and they are inundated with eggs!
Come out to NH, stay in Manchester, Nashua or Concord, make some day trips then speak with realtors.
This is my 20th yr in NH and I truly believe it is special - in a very, very good way.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,472 times
Quote:
I'm the kind of guy who has to see for himself. I plan to come out the NH in late summer/early fall. I'd like to spend a week out there. Try to get a feel for it.

This is a long thread - more of a rambling than anything. Sorry for that. I meant to list a set of questions - but this came out instead.
If you come in late summer / early fall, you'll fall in love and be enchanted. If you want to see NH with bed hair and no makeup, come in late April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Your comment about not being a drinker made me look this up..

thestreet.com says we are the drunkest state:

New Hampshire, you salty dog; we never would have guessed. Quite the surprise. Or is it?

Well, considering the state enacts no sales tax on alcohol purchases, we can see why its residents (and bordering Massachusetts, Maine and Vermont residents too) are more free to spend, drink and be merry. At a wholesale level, retailers pay 30 cents a gallon on beer, and $2 a gallon for wine and spirits. Cheap! The next round is on us, OK?

Cheers, New Hampshire. You'll be hosting the next rager, we're sure.

Total pure alcohol consumed: 4.7 gallons per person

Beer: 318.3 cans per person

Wine: 36.5 bottles per person

Spirits: 18.8 bottles per person
Is that per year? Month? week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsChicago View Post
or just hang out for a weekend.

Plus, I think fireworks are legal in Indiana (don't quote me on this) but I do love a good bottle rocket
For some reason bottle rockets are illegal in NH. You can get just about any other type of fireworks your hert desires, but not bottle rockets.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:23 PM

571 posts, read 1,320,018 times
Oh, about the alcohol,
Liquor sales are the factor in that statistic, not necessarily alcohol consumption. The State runs the liquor stores and the prices are so low that the stores bring in customers from neighboring states. In fact, you can call ahead and they will have your order ready for you. A Massachusetts State legislator was photographed filling his trunk at a NH liquor store only days after he voted to raise the Ma. liquor taxes!
Beer seems to be the beverage of choice and supermarkets sell that and wine. I don't drink myself, so this is just an observation.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM

4,571 posts, read 5,686,587 times
Lightbulb 160-B:16-c: Bottle Rockets

Firecrackers are illegal, yet a black powder cannon is perfectly fine, even encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
For some reason bottle rockets are illegal in NH. You can get just about any other type of fireworks your hert desires, but not bottle rockets.
Well, the state is 80% trees.

Quote:
The State runs the liquor stores and the prices are so low that the stores bring in customers from neighboring states. In fact, you can call ahead and they will have your order ready for you. A Massachusetts State legislator was photographed filling his trunk at a NH liquor store only days after he voted to raise the Ma. liquor taxes!
Massachusetts sporadically makes an effort to act against MA residents buying booze, fireworks, car tires, etc in New Hampshire. Usually these attempts do not end well for Massachusetts tax authorities.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,444,748 times
I think you could live a simple life in a town like Farmington, Milton or Rochester, and still commute to a paralegal job in Portsmouth.

You'll need to come up with a budget for people to help you with more specifics.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:53 PM

31 posts, read 55,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I used to live in Chicago (walking distance from Evanston, then worked in Madison, Wisconsin for a while, and eventually moved to New Hampshire. I agree that you might want to try out rural Indiana or Wisconsin for a while rather than just making a jump to New Hampshire immediately.

That said, New Hampshire welcomes tourists, is a nice place to visit in late summer/early fall.

You certainly can do that here, but cost of living here is significant, and there just aren't very many decent sized towns or cities in New Hampshire with job openings. You won't have sky-high electric bills in the summer like in Chicago, but winter heating bills are higher in NH.

I made a list of states (counties, really) that met my requirements (basically the opposite of Chicago/Illinois -- no income tax, no democratic machine politics, limited government, less corruption/crime/congestion), then found a job in one of the areas that met my requirements, and only then did I move out of the Midwest.

Wisconsin is a hard drinking state. New Hampshire might sell more beer, but Wisconsinites consume more in-state, much of NH's sales are at border stores for "export".

I'd be curious to see your list. Basically the opposite of Chicago is what I'm after. I also live within walking distance to Evanston. Rogers Park - near the Howard el stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire