Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,413 times

Advertisements

I live in Keene, NH and commute to Boston, MA everyday.

Preferences:
Live in NH
Rent single family home under $1000 monthly
3+ Bedroom
Live in nice community, good schools, Love the outdoors (fishing/camping/hiking), etc.
I find monthly rates to be through the roof. Can anyone provide insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:21 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
You want somewhere closer to Boston than Keene for a shorter commute?

Hate to be a downer, but I doubt you'll find what you want for that price in the mass border or seacoast areas. 3 bed single-family homes that are not falling down and not on wheels are going to be $300K+. The owner's property taxes alone would eat 1/3 to 1/2 of your target rent. $1400+ utils might be more realistic. If you've considered the train (Downeaster) then Dover/Rochester might be an option.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 AM

212 posts, read 948,552 times
If you're driving every day from Keene to Boston and back, you must be spending at least $450-500 month for gas, not to mention the amount of time wasted on the road. If you can't get a job closer to Keene, there are lots of towns in Mass. west of 495 that are affordable, would cut your commute in half, and have lots of land.

I am a firm believer in living close to where you work, even if it means getting less house for the money. Quality of life is important. Spending four hours every day on the road is a waste of time, in my opinion.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 PM

117 posts, read 425,168 times
Peterborough has plenty of homes in that range and would knock 20-30 min off one way. I heard Hollis is nice, but I have no idea of the rental market.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
KrazyK, you must spend an insane amount of time on the road--hope you enjoy driving. It'll be difficult finding a 3 BR single family home to rent for under $1000 a month, but I'm sure there are communities that would put you closer to Boston.

Rental rates are moving downward just like the home prices, so if there's something that you've seen, don't be afraid to offer less, sometimes getting a good tenant in place is more important than an extra couple hundred bucks to a property owner. Most communities in NH are nice, schools can vary greatly. it's all a matter of where you want to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire