Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Not saying I support Brown, but I've lived in NH for 10 years and didn't know where Sullivan County was either.
Unless you're running for an office which purports to represent the citizens of the state of NH, who cares?

I've lived in NH for 12 years and don't know all the counties either. But if I were running for Senator I'd make it my business to do more than just memorize them, I'd be aware of what concerns the people whose votes I am asking for. I'm sure you would too.

I can rattle off the counties in VT in alphabetical order thanks to a singsong to the tune of Yankee Doodle I learned in school. It isn't THAT hard to learn what you need to know about a little state. That is, if you consider it worth the effort.

Anyone else remember that GOP Mass carpetbagger Jack McMullen, who tried to buy the Vermont election for senate and was thwarted by Farmer Fred? Among other things his downfall was not knowing how to pronounce "Calais."

http://www.chrisgraff.com/excerpt.html

Hey, at least he got "Montpelier" right. I only say that because I would have blown the pronunciation of "Coos" myself.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 11-03-2014 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:06 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
I would argue that the Democratic Party is closer to being the party of JFK than the Republicans are to being what it was 50 years ago. The Republicans now have been taken over by socially conservative Southerners who have taken the party so far away from its original purpose that it's almost scary.

And on the issue of Sullivan County, we don't have that many counties in NH. I had all of them memorized by the time I was like 8. Even so, I would assume that someone running for office in a state as small as NH would take the time to learn something about its geography.
I would argue that JFK would spit on todays democratic party.. just as MLK would spit on Jesse Jackon and Al the race baiter Sharpton..and the republican party is being taken over by people who are tired of watching their country being destroyed..JFK would have joined them too!

Old 11-03-2014, 12:55 PM

384 posts, read 398,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
I would argue that JFK would spit on todays democratic party.. just as MLK would spit on Jesse Jackon and Al the race baiter Sharpton..and the republican party is being taken over by people who are tired of watching their country being destroyed..JFK would have joined them too!

Couldn't agree more. JFK's famous quote "My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" is in direct opposite of what the Democratic party stands for today. Same with MLK, he never promoted the victim mentality that is the only response from Jackson and Sharpton.

Lou

Last edited by sailor_lou; 11-03-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 03:24 PM

239 posts, read 350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Couldn't agree more. JFK's famous quote "My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" is in direct opposite of what the Democratic party stands for today. Same with MLK, he never promoted the victim mentality that is the only response from Jackson and Sharpton.

Lou
John F. Kennedy's whole platform was the "New Frontier," which largely involved the expansion of social programs to help the less fortunate. Johnson carried it out after his death and it was renamed the "Great Society."

If you think that JFK would identify at all with the current GOP then you don't know Kennedy.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
John F. Kennedy's whole platform was the "New Frontier," which largely involved the expansion of social programs to help the less fortunate. Johnson carried it out after his death and it was renamed the "Great Society."

If you think that JFK would identify at all with the current GOP then you don't know Kennedy.
None of this really has to do with the thread subject matter, suffice to say there are a great many commentators on both sides that agree.. Kennedy would shun the current democratic party and yes he would be more in line with the current GOP.. If you think Johnson carried out JFKs agenda.. you are dead wrong

Old 11-03-2014, 04:46 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post

Hey, at least he got "Montpelier" right. I only say that because I would have blown the pronunciation of "Coos" myself.
I live in Oregon now (though not in Coos Bay or Coos County,) where the pronunciation of Coos is entirely different.

And both are different still from how you pronounce the sounds pigeons make.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=yYjb9k2dgqo

Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Well well well. Since we have someone from the Peachtree State sprinkling peanuts and grits on our Yankee senate election, let me make a suggestion.

Since y'all totally screwed up YOUR GOP senate nomination, feel free to take one gently used carpetbagging politician off our hands. Find him a little apartment in Atlanta and have him file for candidacy the next day. Y'all look to have a greater need for losers like Scott Brown than we do.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 AM

that's not a nice way to talk about your next senator

Old 11-04-2014, 12:46 PM

239 posts, read 350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
that's not a nice way to talk about your next senator
I didn't realize that Frugal was moving to Vermont or Maine.

And yes, let's send Scott Brown to Georgia. They LOVE carpetbaggers from Massachusetts down there, right? He'll running up 95 in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire