Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,001 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data community,

I was looking for information about renting rooms on AirBnB in New Hampshire?
What is the state law on short term rentals?
Have there been any legal precedence or cases in the news (compared to New York)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated because I have searched town ordinances, and the gov websites but have yet to find anything...

Thank you so very much in advance.

Last edited by vter; 01-31-2015 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: name per OP request

Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
No problems that I know of. Unlike NY our state does not concern itself with such things.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
No problems that I know of. Unlike NY our state does not concern itself with such things.
Some will probably jump to the conclusion that it's primarily a political difference (liberal NYC vs libertarian NH), but I think that's overly simplistic. [I'm not saying that's your argument necessarily]

NH is a state with a long tradition of tourism and rental homes. The influx of AirBnB really only changes how properties are listed, and not likely to significantly impact how properties are actually used. In short, it's not likely to actually impact availability of housing for people wanting housing, and not likely to pinch the hotel industry much either.

The issue NYC has is that apts/condos that are really intended as single-family dwellings (in a very tight housing market) are moved out of the housing market into essentially lower-priced "hotels." The change in usage is a positive for tourists, but a significant hit to the hotel industry and to families needing a place to live.

AirBNB would have to significantly shift the weight of either the housing or vacation rental markets in NH for anyone to raise a stink, and personally I don't think that's likely. It's just a very different market on both fronts.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Default NH just wants to collect the 9 percent state rooms and meals tax.

State law on rental housing is primarily covered in RSA 540; it's relatively simple, and short-term rental owners are treated reasonably under state law, though they are required to obtain a free (license) from the state to become a "meals and rentals operator", and are responsible for collecting and paying the 9% state tax.

Some towns (e.g. Portsmouth) enforce their own stricter controls on short-term rentals, zoning, etc.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,866 times
Default NH short term rental laws new

Unfortunately the state of NH did NYS one better. Starting Jan 1, 2017 all people who rent homes or rooms or sleeping quarters for less than 185 days a year have to collect the 9% motel tax. The state updated the hotel code to include all short term rentals. But all rental operators must also:

- Register as a business with the state of NH and file quarterly returns.
- Obtain a "free" license to collect the 9% tax and file monthly returns – even if you don't rent at all

and here's the kicker...

All internet advertising for the house must display the license number on the advertising.

They are stating you have no right to list your property online – through your own personal website or a rental site like Airbnb without a NH license.

Have no problem collecting a 9% hotel tax, but do have a problem with the onerous regulations.

Two democrats were the sponsors of the bill. Ed Butler a state rep and owner of The Notchland Inn a few miles north of Bartlett on Rt 302 was one of the sponsors of the bill.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:36 PM

Default I don't like taxes, but tax evasion only serves to keep bad taxes around longer

Without the license # and monthly returns, most small-scale AirBnB hosts would forget to pay the motel tax.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,189 times
What are my rights, as a one week vacation renter. Home was not as shown in pictures, amenities were not available when we arrived. Place was not cleaned either. Some were brought 5 hours later and others took a day or two to be brought to us. Home had electric power outage and tenants were left this way for minimum of 24 hours. The outage was inside trouble.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Rights? Depends on how you did the rental. Air BnB has been very good to my daughter who uses them regularly. Other listing firms vary. Best to read their terms of use. You did do that before renting?

Of course you could start by complaining to the landlord and asking for a refund. You did do that?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Post AirBnB resolves these disputes, not the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutis123 View Post
What are my rights, as a one week vacation renter.
The state of New Hampshire isn't going to do much for your as an AirBnB customer, this is a contractual dispute between you, AirBnB and the "host".

Old 07-16-2017, 02:10 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times
Write a bad review listing your grievances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire