Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times

Advertisements

Seeing the moving of many Californians to New Hampshire, do you think New Hampshire is on its way of being over taken by California Sub Division Builders and Real Estate Developers? Their Method of Operation involves infiltrating local planning commissions and departments so to change existing zoning regulations to favor massive growth and construction. Afterwards then comes the increased taxation and completion bonds. Is New Hampshire going to let this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 04:50 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Comet

we have many Californians coming into Connecticut- the 'Quiet Corner' the states eastern third is popular- population growth is still not more then 1-2% a year in most towns- I see no problem with these folks- New England's rate of growth remains far below the national average, except for New Hampshire, which sees a larger influx from the other New England states, then from California or elsewhere nationally.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Unless it is Californian DEVELOPERS that are coming to NH, then surely you have nothing to worry about?

And in any case, you don't think developers and certain national chains don't already try to ingratiate themselves with local officials?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Seeing the moving of many Californians to New Hampshire, do you think New Hampshire is on its way of being over taken by California Sub Division Builders and Real Estate Developers? Their Method of Operation involves infiltrating local planning commissions and departments so to change existing zoning regulations to favor massive growth and construction. Afterwards then comes the increased taxation and completion bonds. Is New Hampshire going to let this happen?
Some NH towns have always had the practice of 'going through the motions' to change zoning to accommodate new development. Watching this over the years, I became cynical and jaded, always suspected it smacked of 'connections'. No reason they would stop now.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,763 times
Eek! Let us hope that won't happen anytime soon or in the future! I think people initially move because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. There are many reasons to move ... job, better lifestyle, pace of life, family, etc. But over time, many become homesick and return home to where they thought it wasn't so green. We may adventure far and wide, but there is no place like home. Where people move in, people are also moving out, but like every clean green pasture more are likely to stay and graze but I don't believe that enough actually stay to cause a drastic increase in population growth. As skytrekker states the percent increase is very minimal compared to how other areas are growing. Lets just hope it remains as such and those who do stay to graze in New Hampshire don't stay and change the landscape. I just wish they would buy what's already built rather than promoting those masses of subdivisions that CometVoyager is talking about! There you have it ... my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
Oh noooo! Changing zoning regulations to favor massive growth here in NH would be sadder than sad. My family just returned here after 10 yrs in SoCal--largely because we don't like living packed in like rats-it affects every aspect of life in what we found to be a negative way. Returning to NH has felt like a release from prison in some ways. If greed takes hold and gluttonous building changes our town (chosen partially because of its zoning laws and growth limitations) we'd have to find greener pastures.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 AM

259 posts, read 1,324,401 times
"Massive growth", eh? I've been here for 7 years and extrapolating that growth forward, I'd say you might have something to worry about in 50 years or so.

Unless you're retired or have a telecommuting job, you're not going to have enough people who could logically relocate here to result in massive growth.

From Derry south, yes, you will continue to fill in with Mass/Boston commuters. North of Manch, things aren't going to change much. Yes, of course, "vacation" property will continue to thrive.........,but that phenomenon is going to do nothing for South Weare.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
In a word, no. I think development will happen still, but on top of each other ? Never happen.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
I'd say the south of the state is going to continue to grow but northern NH, no way. In the 30 years i've been alive, raised and born there. nothing is growing up there because there's no work for people. all these years we keep hearing how the city wants to bring in work and business but it just doesn't happen. Super Walmart opening was the biggest thing going on last year up there. Northern NH needs help for commercial businesses.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:29 PM

264 posts, read 616,821 times
I would agree with this assessment. I don’t believe Californians are moving to NE like they are to other western states. Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, Washington and Colorado are taking the brunt of the California exodus and the resentment shows in those boards.

“Master Planned” communities and over-population are becoming a clear problem in those states as is the rising cost of real estate. It is sad to see and read about states becoming inundated with people who move and then want to make it just like the state they left. Jobs, low cost housing, reasonable taxes, and a solid educational system are what will attract the masses and inevitably force the changes that come with a changing demographic. NE also has the weather factor that will keep most of the sun-belt worshippers away.

Personally, I don’t want any resemblance to California when I move. I have had my fill of the California lifestyle. Enough to last the rest of my life.

I think the majority of NE and NH are safe from this type of change.

Captjob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire