Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,161 times

Advertisements

Ok so we have decided that we are definitely moving to New Hampshire. My husband turned down the job in Maine because we just didn't think we would be making a good long term decision moving there. NH seems to be a much better place for us because of job availabilty, salary level, and schools for the kids. The real estate taxes are a bit of a crunch but with no income tax and no private school payments we will still be ahead.

We are still trying to figure out what town, but with all of your help I'm sure that won't be too difficult. We are looking at southern or near the coast south of Portsmouth, but leaning toward the more eastern areas. Can anyone tell me if the subdivisions are loaded with homeowner association restrictions? We just want to be able to fence, put in a pool and build a play set or tree house if we want with out getting permission or with out permission being a big hassle. We also tend to "over" decorate for Christmas and Halloween (it's the NYC in me, I can't help it!... ) and want to be sure that is acceptable. Also what are the main religions around. I don't care who is what but I want to have access to a Catholic church with in driving distance...are they few and far between? (They are where I am now, but we make due). Also are the real estate taxes pretty stable...have they been going up and up frequently or will they remain fairly contant over the years? Here we have been raised but only $300 in the past 10 years...so I consider that to be fairly stable. How is it in New Hampshire? Thanks to all who have posted much useful information here.

Last edited by irishmom; 04-19-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Left out some info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Not many associations with covenants, and those that have them are very laid back about them. In NH it's quite OK not to be in a subdivision, whereas in some states you almost pretty much need to be in one.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:23 PM

29 posts, read 245,660 times
You can find information on tax rates by going to the state website at http://www.nh.gov/index.html (broken link) and in the "residents" section there are city/town profiles that provide quite a bit of information. Also, many towns have websites and you can look at their tax info and some even have history info going back 10-15 years worth of rate changes.

http://www.nneren.com/ is a good site for searching for real estate - you can choose towns and price range etc. and see what is listed in the MLS currently. Most listings include the most recent tax bill (2006) but as I've mentioned to others, many towns are in process or have just finished a re-valuation of homes in town and it's affecting rates/bills.

Good luck in your search!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,596 times
NNEREN is extremely helpful. It breaks it down by county and town and maps it out for you, So you know where in the state you are.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
We are still trying to figure out what town, but with all of your help I'm sure that won't be too difficult. We are looking at southern or near the coast south of Portsmouth, but leaning toward the more eastern areas. Can anyone tell me if the subdivisions are loaded with homeowner association restrictions? We just want to be able to fence, put in a pool and build a play set or tree house if we want with out getting permission or with out permission being a big hassle.
Then stay out of Nashua! It seems to have gotten rife with homeowner associations - at least in the 'newer' developments. But if you're looking in Portsmouth then you're a good bit away

Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks for that web site...great information and easy to use!

Wannacomehome - I'm in Maryland also, which part are you in? Since you are in both can I pluck your brain as to the differences between the two. (We are wanting to move for weather, more land, and public schools). Thanks!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
search for some of my other posts conmcerning Londonderry. Great place to live and a short commute to manchester. PM me for details

Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
search for some of my other posts conmcerning Londonderry. Great place to live and a short commute to manchester. PM me for details
I have been looking at Londonderry and the houses are still very reasonable compared to other areas, and the schools are rated well. Actually I haven't found any schools that are rated poorly in New Hampshire. Lowest ratings I've found are 7 out of ten, but most schools are rated 8 and 9 with a fair amount of 10's as well. Acedemic performance is good in New Hampshire and the schools don't seem to suffer from being in an affordable area. When I was looking at living in Maine the school quality was directly related to the price of the area (more expensive = better schools) and acedemic performance was directionally proportional to percentage of students receiving free lunch (higher free lunch = lower grades). It seems in New Hampshire that all those real estate taxes are going to good use!

Maybe being there for so long you would know this, how often are real estate taxes raised there? I don't mind swapping high Real Estate taxes for good schools, but I want to be sure the taxes are somewhat stable...meaning they don't just jump up a few thousand dollars a year each year. Small yearly increases are fine, it's those big jumps I'm worried about. Thanks for the help! Right now my kids are in private school so even real estate taxes of $7000 will put us ahead of what we are paying now!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:39 PM

274 posts, read 952,619 times
It's not exactly in the area you're considering, but we're looking at relocating to NH as well and so far like what we've found about Conway.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,174,683 times
Referring to your question about churches, New Hampshire is about 35% Catholic (the largest single religious group). You'll have no problem finding a church nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire