Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 05:10 PM

34 posts, read 37,243 times

Advertisements

What's the straight dope? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 05:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkim View Post
What's the straight dope? haha
New Hampshire has a big variety of places to live. Extremely remote (northern), somewhat remote (White Mountains area), coastal, cities (Manchester, Concord, Nashua), lakes areas, Dartmouth/Sunapee area, etc.

There is virtually something for everyone in terms of activities, weather, density, business activity, etc.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,117 times
I have lived all over the US (originally from Mass) and spent the past 10 years in NH. I love LOVE it so much and it is the only place that has felt like home to me. Sadly I am relocating to central FL in a few weeks.

It has a bit of everything. Beach, lakes, mountains. You can enjoy it all year around. People are laid-back and leave you alone for the most part. They are also polite compared to other places I've lived in (California, Colorado for starters).

Old 10-21-2021, 11:16 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Post NH doesn't provide AOC's guarantee of “economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work.”

Pro: We have all four seasons.
Con: We experience all four seasons in abundance, especially winter.

Pro: You can be self-sufficient and for the most part the state, county, town won't bother you (much).
Con: If you are unwilling or unable to be self-sufficient, don't expect government to help you much.

Pro: Plenty of wildlife, including bears, deer, moose, chipmunk, etc.
Con: All of whom shed disease-carrying ticks everywhere they go

Pro: State liquor system keeps prices down and are open 7 days a week, funds state budgets
Con: State liquor system keeps variety/selection limited

Old 10-21-2021, 01:41 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Pro: Taxes are lower than some other states.
Con: You get fewer amenities in terms of street lights, trash pickup, 24/7 police coverage, etc. Your agitating to get those things will drive taxes up.

Pro: Well water.
Con: Septic system.

Pro: Summer, plus the week of spring and two weeks of fall.
Con: Winter, which is long, cold, dark, and not well-tolerated by anyone with a tendency towards SAD.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:05 PM

219 posts, read 366,535 times
Pro - winter can be excellent but is always too short.

Con - the summer lasts forever and never seems to end.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
Pro - winter can be excellent but is always too short.

Con - the summer lasts forever and never seems to end.
Agreed, most everywhere is becoming too warm these days with summer lasting too long for my liking.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:32 PM

219 posts, read 366,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agreed, most everywhere is becoming too warm these days with summer lasting too long for my liking.
The NH climate would be perfect if the calendar flipped from April 30 to September 1 every year. The weather in May isn't bad but the bugs are oppressive.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:42 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
I find that the winters keep many of the whiners away.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:25 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Thumbs up A good hard winter suppresses many invasive species, not just killer bees and murder hornets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I find that the winters keep many of the whiners away.
A good hard winter suppresses many invasive species, not just killer bees, kudzu, and murder hornets.

Several of my coworkers have move to New Hampshire, mostly for tax reasons. Two of them nope'd right out of here after one real winter. I am hopeful that the state sees a similar exodus come the May 2022 thaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire