Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 12,018 times

Advertisements

Durham or Bedford?

I'll try making this quick! We've been to NH many times over the years and feel that NH is the best state to move to though we also love Maine and Vermont as well.

So, we've narrowed it down to NH, and then narrowed it down some more to south-east NH. We're in NE New Jersey now and while I like more of a rural setting, my Wife prefers something a little more built up where groceries, hospitals and shopping are relatively close. I'll compromise, no biggie.

I think the main thing we're concerned with is finding jobs, and of course schools.

We have a 4YO, so schools are very important to us. It seems both Durham and Bedford have good schools. Does anything stand out making one system much better than the other?

Me? I work in IT. I'm a system admin / desktop support guy for a small company and also have a NJ certificate to teach if I wanted to go back into that realm. I know Portsmouth is relatively good for tech jobs as is Manchester. Again, which town might give me better odds of finding a tech job nearby? Durham or Bedford?

My wife is a LCSW (Social Worker) who is employed in a Hospital, but could also work for a school system, or consider private practice as well. Does either area have a greater need than the other?

We don't have family or friends in NH to help in a transition or get insider opinions from. We'd be leaving steady jobs here in Jersey for the unknown. So, I'm just trying to make as smart of a decision as possible.

We think its worth it because while no-place is perfect, I can see that NJ is definitely not moving in the right direction. I really do not want my daughter growing up here. NH has a nice mix of natural beauty and economic prosperity while NJ is rapidly losing both.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:06 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,450 times
Durham is a college town and like Keene NH is prone to the same problems associated with such a title.
Bedford is a bedroom community with most folks commuting elsewhere for work

Old 07-23-2015, 03:53 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Exclamation Find employment, then pick a town

Bedford and Durham are very different communities, why these two? The only distinctive features they have in common are above-average property taxes and serving as a bedroom community for Boston commuters (Bedford via expressway, Durham is a stop on Amtrak's Downeaster). If you don't foresee a need to commute to Massachusetts, maybe look at other towns?

Manchester and Nashua both have a fair amount of technology firms and also some health care businesses, but IMHO there much more opportunity in both fields in Massachusetts, unless there is something specific about New Hampshire driving your choice?

I strongly recommend finding at least one of you a job first, especially without family or friends in New Hampshire. There is rental housing available in/near Portsmouth and Manchester, so temporary living quarters should not be a problem while you look for a something longer term.

Bedford is relatively affluent, being close to the limit of what most people consider "reasonable commuting distance" to Boston and the circle of corporate/tech jobs around Boston proper. Commuters earning Boston salaries tend to drive up housing costs compared to towns a a little further out.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 AM

Interesting feedback - thanks!

@CrazyDave - yep. I don't mind the college town thing or the bedroom community thing. Have lived in both at some point and neither of those things would exclude a potential hometown for us.

@Nonesuch - Thanks for the suggestions, and we're going to try doing just that. We're kind of in a chicken and egg situation. Do we settle on a location first and then hunt for a job, or hunt for a job first then find the most suitable location to live based on the job. Neither Bedford or Durham are carved in stone but we want something relatively close to the NH 'cities' for potential work and other conveniences. Honestly, Bedford and Durham stood out for good schools and proximity to 'stuff', but we're open to any suggestions to help.

We really don't want to live in MA. Good jobs with pay can be had right here in Jersey, but it isn't because of the jobs that we want to leave. If we're going to do this, its going to be to NH.

@John_Winger - Thanks. I figured as much especially Durham. Most college towns swing more liberal I think. Coming from NJ, Durham would still probably seem very conservative to us lol!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,975 times
Bedford is nice. I would not call it 'conservative'. It has many socially aware and progressively minded people. There are many signs of liberal spending such as Mcmansions. The roads are generally well paved in most areas. It is maintained so maybe that is why it is conservative? I don't get why someone calls it conservative. Because they tend to elect practical politicians? Makes no sense.

Durham is a college funded town. People go to college there and after they 'get smart' and have money they move to a place like Bedford. Both towns have a different type of pretentiousness. Pick yours.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 07-24-2015 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

I know many hardcore Republicans who live in McMansions, or even real mansions -- buying a small or big house doesn't indicate "liberal spending"; when I hear that term I think more of voting in new taxes on your neighbors as a "progressively minded" value than spending your own money on your own family.

I'd call Bedford conservative because the town elects conservatives, and most residents are politically conservative, including financial and social policy.

While there are pockets of pretentiousness in Bedford, it's not all snotty rich folk, but there is a higher than average prevalance of this sort of thing to be found there:

Last edited by Nonesuch; 07-24-2015 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren (617 hp, $390K)

Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM

Thanks all.

Seems I could flip a coin and either place would be OK? Pick your poison sort of thing? We're planning a little trip in September. Any other towns in that general area that we should look into?

Old 07-24-2015, 01:50 PM

Definitely look at all the towns bordering Bedford, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Same goes for all the towns bordering on Manchester.

Send me a PM when you're planning to visit the Bedford area and I'll provide specifics.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 19,983 times
What about Merrimack? It's a nice town in the same vicinity.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:06 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,063 times
I think you'll like Bedford, as it's commutable via highway access to other areas, offers spacious lots if you want privacy and perhaps a country-like feel, with enough conveniences in town. (There's two supermarkets, a Target, Lowe's, Walmart, a Kohl's, and a Macy's next door, at least one drugstore, if any of those appeal to you. There are also a few chain places like Chiplotle, Panera, Dunkins, and Starbucks. Anything else you'll need is right next door in Manchester, or in other towns close by. Most people in NH aren't fond of Manchester, because it's considered a high crime area in NH. However, it's all relative, as any part of Manchester is still safer than certain areas of Elizabeth, Paterson, Newark, Jersey City, etc. you may be familiar with and/or may already be accustomed to avoiding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire