Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:27 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
I have another question, not really specific to New Hampshire I don't think, but I've never seen this until I started looking at houses here. What is the deal with people sticking wood stoves inside their fireplaces?
Are you sure this is a "wood stove inside a fireplace" and not a "fireplace insert"?

Modern inserts, while not attractive nor romantic, can be very efficient heating appliances, much more functional than a fireplace.
Quote:
can it be removed and put somewhere else and the fireplace still be functional as well?
Depends on how it was installed. Sometimes in the process of installing a lining/flue for the insert, the original fireplace damper and smoke shelf are removed, so the fireplace is no longer functional as a fireplace without significant rework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 12:48 PM

385 posts, read 345,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Are you sure this is a "wood stove inside a fireplace" and not a "fireplace insert"?

Modern inserts, while not attractive nor romantic, can be very efficient heating appliances, much more functional than a fireplace.

Depends on how it was installed. Sometimes in the process of installing a lining/flue for the insert, the original fireplace damper and smoke shelf are removed, so the fireplace is no longer functional as a fireplace without significant rework.
I've seen them listed as "fireplace inserts" and simply as "wood stoves" and didn't realize they could be two different things since for the most part, they look the same to my untrained eye. I find it very unattractive, obviously, but I do understand how it would be more efficient than the fireplace alone. I would have preferred it be installed as a separate entity. I was afraid that "significant rework" would be required. Another thing for me to pay close attention to, thank you.

Is it possible to install a wood stove that doesn't have to go through an existing chimney? Ideally, I'd like both fireplace(s) and wood stove(s) but separate.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:09 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
I've seen them listed as "fireplace inserts" and simply as "wood stoves" and didn't realize they could be two different things since for the most part, they look the same to my untrained eye. I find it very unattractive, obviously, but I do understand how it would be more efficient than the fireplace alone. I would have preferred it be installed as a separate entity. I was afraid that "significant rework" would be required. Another thing for me to pay close attention to, thank you.

Is it possible to install a wood stove that doesn't have to go through an existing chimney? Ideally, I'd like both fireplace(s) and wood stove(s) but separate.
Most people who convert a fireplace for wood stove use do it because the chimney and non-combustible walls are already in place.

You can have a wood stove without a chimney. Instead you would have a double wall pipe go through the outside wall and up the side of the house or up through the ceiling and roof. IMHO, they aren't pretty. If you google factory built chimney you'll get the gist. You will still have to provide non combustible walls and floor around the wood stove.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Most people who convert a fireplace for wood stove use do it because the chimney and non-combustible walls are already in place.

You can have a wood stove without a chimney. Instead you would have a double wall pipe go through the outside wall and up the side of the house or up through the ceiling and roof. IMHO, they aren't pretty. If you google factory built chimney you'll get the gist. You will still have to provide non combustible walls and floor around the wood stove.
Oh, okay, I've probably seen that a few times and thought it was a dryer vent on the outside. You're right, not the best looking thing in the world but I guess could be hidden in the back if necessary. Thank you!

I never paid attention as a kid/young adult with no ownership responsibilities as to how all of this stuff worked. Just took it all for granted; sewers, sump pumps, wood stoves, fireplaces, oil tanks will all be quite a new experience. Plus I always had electric heat up north. Thanks everyone.

Next project will be to see what areas have good/bad internet and cell reception.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:02 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Default Fireplace inserts not attractive? I disagree...

Our raised hearth brick fireplace was very seldom used, until we added an insert several years back. Now it gets daily use from mid-October through March, and even on chilly nights through April, and personally, I think it's very pretty. Nothing like sitting in front of the fire with a good book and a good dog to warm the toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

Old 10-04-2015, 02:40 PM

@ValerieC: That is not bad looking at all! That still looks like a nice fireplace with a nice "screen" over it. But that was not what I was seeing. I was seeing an open fireplace with the silver or black tubing coming out attached to what looked exactly like a wood stove sticking out of a fireplace. I need to find a picture now.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=....124812%2F&f=1

Part of my issue with inserts is that I really want one of those big fireplaces that you can hang a cast iron pot in, in a keeping room.

Last edited by sb2017; 10-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: added picture link

Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM

82 posts, read 107,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I know that I like to warn of the Winter here to people coming from more Southern states, maybe not so much because of the snow (although that is a a huge factor), but because of the extremely short, dark days. If you have lived in the South for your entire life, or even for many years, you may not realize the effect these short, dark days will have on how you can handle our Winters. Snow can be exciting and fun. But when you go months without seeing daylight, that wears on a person. Not trying to a downer, just realistic. To me it seems that people consider snow and cold when they think about moving here, but they don't seem to consider the dark days so much.

I mentioned in another thread my sister, who used to live in VT. She moved to Taos, NM years ago, lived in Bend, OR (which, surprisingly, has a similar climate to Taos) and now lives back in NM (Santa Fe). She has said after spending all these years in NM, she could never deal with a VT Winter again, as much as she otherwise loves VT.
The dark days were a serious problem for me. I lived in North Conway (way up, not far from Mt. Washington-20 below was normal), for several years. It was always dark when I got done work and usually dark when I started work so I would go many days seeing NO SUN. I became very depressed. Medication didn't help. counseling didn't help. Only moving to a place with more light (FL then CA) helped.
(Just something to keep in mind.)

I would not pick NH as my forever place. It is very beautiful (though in a desolate way), and summers are perfect there. The rest of the year you are just figuring out how to keep warm and, most importantly, pay to heat your house. If you must move there look in the southern half of the state. You might like Lakes region towns like Meredith or maybe Effingham over near the Maine boarder. I do agree with an earlier poster who suggested Asheville, NC. You could spend a lot more time outside and the overall cost of living would be less.

Last edited by MaireM; 10-08-2015 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 10-08-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Well, had a 30ish single lady move to NH from Southern California.
She grew up in S. California.
Tired of the rat race there. She had a professional good job in S. California.
She came by the lure of Live Free or Die and the lovely rural areas.
She moved to Laconia, NH Gilford area.
The best job she could get was as a waitress at Hart's Turkey Farm restaurant.
She even paid to have her older 4X4 truck shipped to NH. She had driven out in her car.
She lasted one year in New Hampshire. Too cold. Too isolated. Difficult to meet people.
She then left for a more populated area of New England - Rhode Island.
Did obtain a more professional job.
Lived there for one year.

She then went back to Southern California. A place she knew. A place with warm weather.
Well, she did get New Hampshire and New England out of her system. With no money left she lived in a shelter for a few months in Southern California. Had to sell her car and truck.
She is now back on her feet now and has a professional job. In Southern California. Where she grew up and where she has friends.
The only jobs in NH are down by the Boston area but that is the burbs - far from a rural experience. If you need to work NH is generally not the place to be. The few available jobs are in hospitality and don't pay much more than $9 an hour. Unless you are a doctor, lawyer, work for the state or have an inheritance you will live poor. You will also find once you have lived there for awhile that "Live Free or Die" is nothing more than a saying in NH-and has been for a long time.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the warnings and caution and appreciate the spirit in which they are given. But remember, I grew up in the northeast and I have visited for winter holidays upon occasion during my time in Florida, as well. I know what to expect. I know my first full winter back will be a very rough adjustment, to say the least. I'm not worried about socialization, I am looking forward to quality not quantity. Right now as we speak I am scouring these forums for information on heating options and how long a tank of oil lasts if unused or used infrequently. (I'm also intrigued by seeing coal mentioned.)
I have heard good things about pellet stoves. If you are considering oil heat this site will help a lot:
Oil Heat Council of New Hampshire . Stay away from monitor heaters. I liked gas best myself.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:08 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
@ValerieC: That is not bad looking at all! That still looks like a nice fireplace with a nice "screen" over it. But that was not what I was seeing. I was seeing an open fireplace with the silver or black tubing coming out attached to what looked exactly like a wood stove sticking out of a fireplace. I need to find a picture now.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=....124812%2F&f=1

Part of my issue with inserts is that I really want one of those big fireplaces that you can hang a cast iron pot in, in a keeping room.
Once you start using a wood stove or wood stove insert to heat your house. you will find using a regular fire place a waste. The wood stove gives off enough ambiance and it also gives you substantial Heat. A traditional fireplace will actually suck all the heat out of your house causing the heat to kick on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire