Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:59 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times

Advertisements

Everything evens itself out. For example, in NH we have no sales tax and low insurance premiums yet property tax is expensive and car registration is high just to name a couple. Ive lived in other states where car registrations are low, property tax is low yet we had a sales tax and high insurance premiums. All in all my life style has not changed and in the end I don't spend any more or less here than I did living elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:04 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Disagree. You have control over what you buy. Unless you eat at a restaurant for all your meals, 9% is really not a big deal. Plenty of people pack a lunch and don't have to buy prepared food every day.

I also used to live in NY, 8.65% tax on going out to eat and goods except clothing (tax is collected at the county level for clothing which is around 4.5%), groceries and over the counter meds. Oh and you're paying full sales tax on your car. Registration is a little cheaper though.

There is no "gotcha". No sales tax in NH is awesome!
I eat out a lot.....just seems like an odd "money grab" for a state that prides itself on no sales tax.

If I spend $1000 a month going out to dinner, the tax would be $90. I wouldn't normally spend $1000 a month on buying goods/clothing etc. so I wouldn't see any "tax free" savings.

That being said, if I lived in a close by border state I would certainly cross the border for any big purchases!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:14 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I eat out a lot.....just seems like an odd "money grab" for a state that prides itself on no sales tax.

If I spend $1000 a month going out to dinner, the tax would be $90. I wouldn't normally spend $1000 a month on buying goods/clothing etc. so I wouldn't see any "tax free" savings.

That being said, if I lived in a close by border state I would certainly cross the border for any big purchases!
IMHO, it's geared more toward tourism. As NH's second biggest industry, the 9% tax on meals, lodging, and car rentals is a tremendous source or revenue for the state.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default Same reason we have giant liquor store oasis on the interstates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
IMHO, it's geared more toward tourism. As NH's second biggest industry, the 9% tax on meals, lodging, and car rentals is a tremendous source or revenue for the state.
I've got no problem with the state deriving as much revenue as possible from out-of-state

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Everything evens itself out. For example, in NH we have no sales tax and low insurance premiums yet property tax is expensive and car registration is high just to name a couple. Ive lived in other states where car registrations are low, property tax is low yet we had a sales tax and high insurance premiums. All in all my life style has not changed and in the end I don't spend any more or less here than I did living elsewhere.
Where I came from, sales tax, insurance, property tax and income tax were all high, and rising. I like being able to have some control over my tax burden, by choosing a smaller house (and "current use" land), registering fewer cars, and eating out less often, and of course voting in town elections to keep property tax low.

Your town has significant control over property tax rate, and even some control over your vehicle registration costs. So if you don't like it, vote to change it.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I've got no problem with the state deriving as much revenue as possible from out-of-state

Where I came from, sales tax, insurance, property tax and income tax were all high, and rising. I like being able to have some control over my tax burden, by choosing a smaller house (and "current use" land), registering fewer cars, and eating out less often, and of course voting in town elections to keep property tax low.

Your town has significant control over property tax rate, and even some control over your vehicle registration costs. So if you don't like it, vote to change it.
Not complaining about it at all. I just believe it is a wash if you choose to live the same lifestyle as you would elsewhere. I didn't move back to NH to save money, I moved back because I love the state.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Not complaining about it at all. I just believe it is a wash if you choose to live the same lifestyle as you would elsewhere. I didn't move back to NH to save money, I moved back because I love the state.
Agree. The way my boyfriend and I spend, I'd rather have a state sales tax, since we hardly buy anything brand new... so if having a state sales tax would help lower our property tax bills, then I'm all for it. Shrug.

Anyway, it seems to me that renters make out the best in NH if it was all about saving money.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Angry State sales taxes just grow state government, don't result in lower property tax.

Most towns don't have much local retail, wouldn't directly benefit from a sales tax. Instead counties and the state would collect regional sales tax revenues, absorb a chunk, and maybe return some portion of revenue to towns. This approach grows state power, takes control over taxation and spending away from the town and puts it in the hands of the state. Not where I want to see NH go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Agree. The way my boyfriend and I spend, I'd rather have a state sales tax, since we hardly buy anything brand new... so if having a state sales tax would help lower our property tax bills, then I'm all for it. Shrug.
Except that it never works out that way. Maybe for a year or two after passing the law, but slowly property taxes creep back up. Just take a look at Vermont, which passed their first sales tax in 1969.

Since then, VT has increased the sales tax to 6%, and raised the property tax several times and now their property tax rate is barely lower than New Hampshire's. Add in their income tax (up to 8.95%), and Vermont is consistently in the top ten states for total tax burden.

Vermont's system has resulted in a drastic shift of revenue and power from local towns to the state, which is the last thing we need in New Hampshire. NH does not need to tax like VT taxes.

Quote:
I moved here in part because I like the idea of keeping the majority of political power and taxation local, of having a state government with minimal power, minimal budget, and minimal number of voters per state representative.

The saying "all politics is local" is actually true in New Hampshire.

Quote:
Anyway, it seems to me that renters make out the best in NH if it was all about saving money.
Landlords consider their property tax when setting rent, so how are renters any better off than condo owners?

Old 11-03-2015, 01:44 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Which is fine but remember that every time you go out to eat, you pay it as well. And if it doesn't snow, those out of staters may not visit.

NH tax revenue sources are as follows:

Business Taxes $568 25.59%
State Property Tax $364 16.40%
Meals and Rooms Tax $265 11.94%
Tobacco Tax $209 9.41%
Other $171 7.70%
Liquor and Beer $149 6.71%
Insurance Tax $110 4.96%
Real Estate Transfer Tax $102 4.60%
Interest and Dividends Tax $98 4.41%
Lottery $77 3.47%
Communications Tax $63 2.84%
Tobacco Settlement $44 1.98%
*Total Funding $2,220 100%

As you can see business taxes are still the greatest generator of revenue for NH so many of your friends and relatives help support the rest of you.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:54 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

If you started paying state income tax and your property tax was lowered, where is the savings?

Renters pay a pretty expensive rate compared to other areas. So they are contributing to those high property taxes.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:28 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
I think NH taxes are just fine the way they are now. City/State government needs to shrink. If NH gets more taxes, it will simply grow government, they will never spend less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: